Need Help Translation Of This Image (:

jeremyitwq

Total guess is that it's meant to mean "stunningly beautiful person"

It says "Chohm Poo Chai" which I'm guessing is maybe some odd colloquialism as it doesn't really make sense.

If the "Poo" here is intended as "person" then it is mis-spelled and the word order is screwed.....but Thais do that at times in colloquialisms.

Flummoxed but I've no dictionary to hand.

I am a man

chan = i

poo chai =a man

Different spellings Mr R.

That looks like Khmer script rather than Thai.

It's Thai only highly stylised and upside down...

It reads "โฉมผูฉาย" the right way up, although I suspect it may mean to read "โฉมผู้ฉาย"

โฉมฉาย means to be striking looking, stunningly attractive. Just what the ผู is doing there, Lord only knows unless it's meant to be ผู้ and someone's made a boo-boo or it's meant to be an but there's no such word as ฝู as far as I know.

Edited by HeavyDrinker

My bad that's it's upside down. Isnt there a exact meaning to it? It was on my late father's hand and I wish to find out what is it.

Old thai script meaning .......i am a man wink.gif

Heavy drinker you are correct but i think you will find the tattoo was done a long time ago and is more of the home done variety after a few beers! smile.gif

Sort of a bravado thing which the Thais used to do same as they used to have a tattoo on the fingers for marrying

Edited by MrRed

My bad that's it's upside down. Isnt there a exact meaning to it? It was on my late father's hand and I wish to find out what is it.

Heavy drinker you are correct but i think you will find the tattoo was done a long time ago and is more of the home done variety after a few beers! smile.gif

Sort of a bravado thing which the Thais used to do same as they used to have a tattoo on the fingers for marrying

That doesnt look like any home made tattoo done after a few beers.

Reasons are, the tattoo is too neat, look at the script, its constant.

The ink must have been of a decent quality, its still black in colour, most of the home made ones tend to fade and go a greenish/blueish colour.

I think this tattoo was done professionaly, or at least done by someone who knew what he was doing.

It certainly looks as if it was done by a machine rather than the usual bambbo shafted needle most home made ones are done with.

For someone to have this done professionaly means to me this tattoo actually had some relevance/meaning to whoever had it done.

That's not an old Whisky, Ink and a rusty Needle tattoo.

That looks brand spanking new to me too...and has bugger all to do with "being a man"...laugh.gif

If it is Thai, it looks like โฉม ฝู ฉาย choom[R] fuu[R] chaay[R] It might be a Chinese name rendered in Thai script.

I think you're probably right Meadish, but I think the first one is เฉ็น Chen

The consensus from my Thai drinking mates, its a girls name, make of that what you will.

They tried various spellings and argued amongst themselves, even bring up the same observations as HD in post number 7, kudos to you Heavy Drinker.

Mind you the beers and whisky were flowing, so it may just be an all round face saving measure by saying girls name.

I think it must be เฉิน ฝู ฉาย "Chen Foo Chaay", it's exactly Thai alpahbets not Khmer, but it just different way to write it. I thought it should be someone name, and it sounds like Chinese.

Edited by paksant

It looks like เฉิม ฝู ฉาย (Cherm fuu chaay) to me.

Wife says it could be a Chinese name.

agree with you keo my wife who's thai chinese descent says it's cherm fuu chaay and probably a Chinese lady's name. hope this helps jeremy

Edited by moonbarman