Thaksin Calls In To 'Instruct' Thai Cabinet

webfact

More international media input...

Thaksin joins Thai cabinet on Skype

Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra faced withering criticism yesterday for allowing her brother, deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra, to summon government ministers for a meeting by web-cam from his self-imposed exile abroad.

Thaksin has been widely believed to be the dominant force behind the two-month-old administration of his sister, a political novice. Recent events have erased all doubt for many, raising questions over whether the 62-year-old billionaire is making a new, overt grab for power. On Wednesday, Thaksin joined a meeting with Thai ministers at Yingluck’s Puea Thai Party headquarters via Skype, the Internet-based two-way teleconference service. “Ministers squirmed uncomfortably in their chairs as Thaksin acted like a teacher, ‘lecturing’ some of them who failed to measure up at the tension-filled meeting, which lasted for more than two hours,” The Bangkok Post newspaper reported yesterday.

Thaksin went into detail on plans for a big increase in the minimum wage and a rice intervention plan, it said, adding that he would chair similar meetings each week. Only Puea Thai ministers and deputy ministers were involved, but the party has the bulk of cabinet positions.

“Thaksin has been pulling the strings for a while behind the scenes. Now he has decided to come out publicly,” said Pavin Chachavalpongpun, a fellow at Singapore’s Institute of Southeast Asian Studies. “But he pushes too hard, moves too fast, and thus leaves too little room for Yingluck to breathe.”

Continues:

http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=460036&version=1&template_id=45&parent_id=25

Reuters - Sept. 24, 2011

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thaksin lectures Cabinet amid calls for his return

Continues:

http://straightfurro...rn/2302641.aspx

Sydney Morning Herald - Sept. 24, 2011

also includes the passage:

But many senior ministers have made no secret that they support the return of Thaksin without him having to serve time in jail. The government is seeking pardons for many of the more than 230,000 prisoners

A positive sign of this and other passages is the international media's recognition of Thaksin's relationship and control of the government.

Or maybe a little wonderment as to why all these people continue to support the man?........convicted of a crime, which appears to be considered by many as a politically motivated conviction.....

What passage in the article are you referring to?

The only reference to the Thaksin's charges being politically motivated was a statement to that effect made by Thaksin's cousin and current Foreign Minister Surapong.

I wonder if Thaksin is using the fact that he is banned from politics 'in Thailand', as a montenegran citizen, and being outside Thailand, exactly how would this affect his status of 'taking part' in Thai politics, the wording of the ban could be crucial........

If charges are brought it will only be because the elected prime minister, heading an elected governement will once again have been forced out of office by an unelected establishment, whether by means of a military coups or any other means.

If that happens it will finish Thailand as a credible state, certainly in the eyes of the countries from which most of the posters on this board, who yearn for such an event, come from.

So what you are saying is that you protested when democratically elected Saddam Hussain was forced out of power?

You're missing the point. It is an illegal activity. With it out in the open, sooner or later there will be charges brought. If convicted all the Thaksin lovers here will be screaming "judicial coup" and "double standards", but that's all bullshit.

Calling out double standards isn't bullshit, as I pointed out to you in an earlier thread, the one which you promised to edify me in if I reminded you which one it was, but didn't when I did.

I did, go back and look.

I just went back and looked, and you didn't edify me after you said you would if I reminded you which thread it was in, which I did.

Or maybe a little wonderment as to why all these people continue to support the man?........convicted of a crime, which appears to be considered by many as a politically motivated conviction.....

What passage in the article are you referring to?

The only reference to the Thaksin's charges being politically motivated was a statement to that effect made by Thaksin's cousin and current Foreign Minister Surapong.

Call it a little Geo opinion piece......you may quote it anywhere you wish

If charges are brought it will only be because the elected prime minister, heading an elected governement will once again have been forced out of office by an unelected establishment, whether by means of a military coups or any other means.

If that happens it will finish Thailand as a credible state, certainly in the eyes of the countries from which most of the posters on this board, who yearn for such an event, come from.

So what you are saying is that you protested when democratically elected Saddam Hussain was forced out of power?

I've read JAG's post twice and I can't find him saying anything about Saddam Hussein.

I wonder if Thaksin is using the fact that he is banned from politics 'in Thailand', as a montenegran citizen, and being outside Thailand, exactly how would this affect his status of 'taking part' in Thai politics, the wording of the ban could be crucial........

Yes, that makes sense. Because he is now a Montenegran citizen and out of the country, his ban has somehow been circumvented.

I've read JAG's post twice and I can't find him saying anything about Saddam Hussein.

I realize it is too advanced for you to refer to other modern events, but to keep it simple for you:

- Saddam was elected with 99+% of the votes.

- No matter how the votes are gained, even using illegal means, a victory in itself trumps anything else - according to many PTP fans.

- If one is in power that gives one a mandate to carry out any policy they wish, even mass murder or genocide - again according to many PTP fans.

So it is clear, if evenly applied, their political stance on the ousting of Saddam would be that it was something they objected to.

I realize it is too advanced for you to refer to other modern events, but to keep it simple for you:

- No matter how the votes are gained, even using illegal means, a victory in itself trumps anything else - according to many PTP fans.

- If one is in power that gives one a mandate to carry out any policy they wish, even mass murder or genocide - again according to many PTP fans.

So it is clear, if evenly applied, their political stance on the ousting of Saddam would be that it was something they objected to.

You are entitled to your opinion, of course. But my point (that you ignored) is that you are, to coin a phrase, in the habit of putting words in other posters mouths.

I don't recall Thaksin invading Kuwait........must have missed that bit......I remember he has spent time in Dubai.....does that count?

From the SMH On-line

"

Thailand's Foreign Minister, Surapong Tovichukchaikul, also wants to return Thaksin's Thai passport revoked by the previous government two years ago.

"A passport is like an identity card. Even prisoners in Thailand still hold their ID card," Mr Surapong said in New York, where he is leading the Thai delegation to the United Nations General Assembly.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/thaksin-lectures-cabinet-amid-calls-for-his-return-20110923-1kpbl.html#ixzz1Yn1sKSuk

nice to know where his priorities lie.

Amazing that the government does not know the difference between passport and ID card.

The nationality and identity is defined and fixed on the ID card. Thaksin's nationality and identity has never been revoked.

The passport is just a travel document and can be issued and revoked at any time.

Sheer incompetence again!

I don't recall Thaksin invading Kuwait........must have missed that bit......I remember he has spent time in Dubai.....does that count?

Perhaps you recall the armed insurgency Thaksin led (from afar of course - heaven forbid he himself be put in danger) that took place a couple of times in Bangkok.

Perhaps you recall the armed insurgency Thaksin led (from afar of course - heaven forbid he himself be put in danger) that took place a couple of times in Bangkok.

You mean that one?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article6080866.ece

Before the coup?.......must have missed that as well..........

You are entitled to your opinion, of course. But my point (that you ignored) is that you are, to coin a phrase, in the habit of putting words in other posters mouths.

I am just looking for people that complain about double standard to show less double standard.

Woo,

I have never seen this anywhere. A criminal runs the countryfrom abroad. It is like the mob boss runs his organization from the Jail

You must be blind then.All the lies from George Bush and Blair and many more more.Thats the reason you're in Thailand,because the west is doing a lot better.mad.gif

Woo,

I have never seen this anywhere. A criminal runs the countryfrom abroad. It is like the mob boss runs his organization from the Jail

You must be blind then.All the lies from George Bush and Blair and many more more.Thats the reason you're in Thailand,because the west is doing a lot better.mad.gif

the leaders above mentioned didn't run from their country, bribe farmers and thugs to riot, change citizenship and then still try to wreak havoc from a country abroad..nor are they convicted fugitives with a further plethora of charges against them. Apples and oranges.

Edited by gemini81

• 2 months later...

Thaksin will not interfere in Cabinet reshuffle: Noppadon

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra had no involvement in the Cabinet reshuffle, his legal adviser Noppadon Pattama said, dismissing speculation on ministerial changes.

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has the sole jurisdiction to line up her cabinet," he said.

Noppadon insisted Thaksin had never mentioned to anybody that he would give a green light to reshuffle the Cabinet after the New Year holiday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-06

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra had no involvement in the Cabinet reshuffle, his legal adviser Noppadon Pattama said, dismissing speculation on ministerial changes.

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has the sole jurisdiction to line up her cabinet," he said.

Noppadon insisted Thaksin had never mentioned to anybody that he would give a green light to reshuffle the Cabinet after the New Year holiday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-06

So, there IS a cabinet reshuffle?

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-06

So, there IS a cabinet reshuffle?

Perhaps one of the Cabinet Ministers will leak the specifics of it to the media as was done with the secret pardon request.

/

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-06

Maybe something lost in translation. "had no involvement in reshuffle" ? Does this mean we've had a reshuffle, or is k. Noppadon just preparing us for the shock of one after the New Year holiday. Like a New Year present, a passport or something else we don't want, need, asked for :ermm: