A Good Way To Buy A Used Car

Shipwreck

Find a private buyer who is desperate for a sale - like a foreigner leaving the country. Use your Thai credit history/work history/salary to get a loan from a bank.

I just bought a used Jazz from a desperate seller with a 100% bank loan at 3.75% interest. I got 100% by telling the bank I was paying 100k more than I really was - usually they will give you 80% or less. (They don't actually check what the exact financial exchange between buyer and seller is.)

Said I was paying 400k (the book value of the car) actually paid 300k. Bank gave me 310K, so I actually had a bit extra after the fact. (I'm aware that the interest isn't actually 3.75% on the purchase price, but recalculated each year on the outstanding balance - I'll be paying it off early at a small discount anyway.)

I knew the seller and knew the car was good. I could turn around and sell it right now for more than I paid for it, but I needed a car and it fits the bill.

The terms are 3 years and the bank profits about 60k baht. I figured that is a decent deal considering there was no down payment. A slight down profit in fact.

Thoughts?

Edited by Shipwreck

Maybe you can give me an Advice, how to convince my Bank to give me a Loan?

since 5 Years, I have more than 800.000 Baht on my Bangkok Bank for my Retirement Visa Needs

I was thinking for a long Time, how I could use this Money as a Basement to use/buy something like a Car or Condo

Cheers

Edited by DummDays

^

In my experience they are more interested on whether you're employed or not. I also have way over 800,000 baht in my account. They still wanted to see pay slips and my loan was only 375,000 baht.

Wow TH Cruze 277 posts and the first time I can support your info. Hurray :D

Banks/finance want to see a cash flow for at least 6 months in your TH bank account. 800k baht frosen retirementvisa money is not considered.

If cash flow is from work according to Workpermit it can be approx 3 times monthly payment. If its from other sources, 5 to 10 times monthly payments

So you bought a jazz for 300k Baht? What year? Manual or Automatic?

It is a 2004 automatic. IDSI model with 2 airbags. On one2car.com similar models are selling for about 400k.

I feel the best deals to be had for buying second hand stuff is off of expats who need to leave in a hurry. This is also a great way to furnish a house and pick up gadgets for almost half off.

Seems very good deal. I'm also interested in a newer 2nd hand automatic car like this. But I guess I'll have to buy brand new because I'm not stupid enough to pay new price for the 3 yr old 2nd hand car in this market. (Btw I'll purchase by cash).

well bully for you,........