Ilr Been Here For 6 Years

Hi all,

Its been a while since I have posted on here but am in need of some help once again. My wife is currently coming up to the end of her 2 year extension which will mean that she has been here for 6 years. Although being here that long she still struggles with the language. She has however passed here speaking and listening exam, and her college have given her a letter (costing £10) stating that she has improved and progressed with her english which apparently is good enough to apply for her settlement visa ILR. I am going to fast track her visa as I need a quick response as we fly to thailand in december so i need her passport back asap. Has anyone obtained this letter from there college and had a result? The last thing I want is too loose the £1350 fee and have to re-do, which would potentially would mean we would loose our flights to Thailand for the whole family £4000+ Any advise would be much appreciated.

Bangbuathongben

Are you sure it is the correct course.

Unless the course included citizenship materials and the letter/certificate states this and she attended an accredited college it will not satisfy the requirements for ILR.

See ESOL course in English with citizenship. (Although that page talks about naturalisation, the requirements are the same for ILR.)

Are you sure it is the correct course.

Unless the course included citizenship materials and the letter/certificate states this and she attended an accredited college it will not satisfy the requirements for ILR.

See ESOL course in English with citizenship. (Although that page talks about naturalisation, the requirements are the same for ILR.)

Hi as far as I am aware and according to my wires teacher she can use this letter that she has issued. It has also been used by someone that my wife knows. It took a bit of searching the ukba site but it is hidden away at the bottom of a page, here it is...

ESOL and citizenship course Close

If your English skills are below ESOL Entry 3 level (or Intermediate 1 level in Scotland), and you are not a skilled or highly skilled migrant, you must take an ESOL with citizenship course and obtain a relevant qualification to demonstrate your knowledge of language and life in the UK.

ESOL courses are available throughout the UK. The Directgov website can help you find a course at the right level in your area.

The course must be at an accredited college, and must include citizenship materials derived from the document 'Citizenship Materials for ESOL Learners' (ISBN: 1-84478-5424).

You must obtain a relevant ESOL qualification from an approved awarding body, and you must demonstrate that you have made relevant progress.

An 'accredited college' is:

a publicly funded college that is subject to inspection by Ofsted (if it is in England), the Education and Training Inspectorate (Northern Ireland), HM Inspectorate of Education (Scotland), Estyn (Wales); or an inspection programme that has been approved by the Island's Government (in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man): or

a private college that has been accredited by Accreditation UK, the British Accreditation Council (BAC), the Accreditation Body for Language Services (ABLS) or the Accreditation Service for International Colleges (ASIC).

A college meets the definition of an 'accredited college' if it is accredited on the date when you obtain your qualification, or if it is accredited on the date when your settlement application is decided.

A 'relevant ESOL qualification' is:

an ESOL qualification in speaking and listening at Entry 1, Entry 2 or Entry 3 level approved by the Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual); or

one National Qualifications Unit in ESOL at Access 2, Access 3 or Intermediate 1 level approved by the Scottish Qualifications Authority.

'Approved awarding bodies' in England, Wales and Northern Ireland are:

Ascentis (formerly Open College of the Northwest)

Cambridge ESOL

City & Guilds (Pitmans)

Edexcel

Education Development International (EDI)

English Speaking Board (International) Limited

National Open College Network

Trinity College London

In Scotland, the only approved awarding body is the Scottish Qualifications Authority.

To demonstrate 'relevant progress', your college must confirm that you have progressed by at least 1 level from the level at which you were assessed at the beginning of the course that led to your relevant qualification. For example, if you were initially assessed by your college as being below Entry 1 level, you must obtain a relevant ESOL qualification at Entry 1 level or above.

You should check with your college to ensure that it is accredited as described above, and that the course meets all of the above requirements. If your college is not accredited, or if the course does not meet all of the above requirements, your application will be refused. Your college should provide a letter confirming that the relevant criteria are met. We have drafted a template of the letter (PDF 27KB opens in a new window) which you can use. The college should also provide evidence to show how it meets the definition of an accredited college.

I hope that this is right and I have interpreted it correct, and if so I hope it helps others!!

Bangbuathongben.....

I think the clue is in the qualification certificates, at a accredited Collage.

So according to this and my wires college tutor, she does not have to do the esol with citizenship material course, just make relevant progress from one level to another!

Happy dayz!

Bangbuathongben

Edited by bangbuathongben

I think the clue is in the qualification certificates, at a accredited Collage.

So according to this and my wires college tutor, she does not have to do the esol with citizenship material course, just make relevant progress from one level to another!

Happy dayz!

Bangbuathongben

The relevant ESOL course must include citizenship material for purposes of ILR. See 7x7's earlier post, and UKBA template link I provided initially which, among other things, confirms that:

" The course was delivered in a citizenship context by a suitably qualified teacher and used materials derived from "The Citizenship For ESOL Learners" pack produced for the Home Office by NIACE and LLU+." The requirement is very clearly stated. You may also see SET(M) application guidance in this regard.

You will need to send the original certificates for the ESOL course. These do not necessarily have 'with citizenship' written on them - my wife's don't but there has to be a standard format letter from the college (stamped by the college) confirming that the course has been taught with appropriate citizenship materials. Details of this are in Note 22a-j of the guidance notes for SET(M).

Without this you stand a real chance of rejection and losing your money! I am afraid the course tutor is not risking a thousand pounds - you are!

The relevant question is 5.3 with clarifying note 2, on SET(M) form.

What fun to be filling in UKBA forms again!

The Supporting letter from the Collage should state the date and what level your wife was at, when first starting the course, and the level she has attained now, with Certificates. also it should include a statement from her course tutor that the course had UK citizenship material in the curriculum. signed and stamped with the collage official stamp.

Hi all,

I seemed to be mis-understanding the whole 'citizenship material' thing. I phone UKBA today and had a in depth conversation, in which I realised that ESOL courses in general all through the levels are included with citizenship material, whereas I was expecting it to be a separate course as such.

Anyhow thanks for the help.

Bangbuathongben.......

Edited by bangbuathongben