Oz - 12 Month Multi-Entry Visa

I had a client who was granted a 12 month multiple entry tourist visa with a maximum 3 month each stay. She returned to Thailand after 3 months (1 week) before returning to Australia. She was pulled aside by Immigration upon arrival and told in no uncertain terms that 'visas runs' might be acceptable in Thailand, but not in Australia, and that is she did it again she would be put put on the first plane back as she was clearly not a genuine visitor.

• Like 1

quote)I had a client who was granted a 12 month multiple entry tourist visa with a maximum 3 month each stay. She returned to Thailand after 3 months (1 week) before returning to Australia.

She was pulled aside by Immigration upon arrival and told in no uncertain terms that 'visas runs' might be acceptable in Thailand, but not in Australia, and that is she did it again she would

be put put on the first plane back as she was clearly not a genuine visitor.Quote)

Hi Bridge

It sounds to me as if your client encountered a DIAC officer having a bad day (no excuse).

The chances of her visa being cancelled for multiple visits one after the other would be remote

but it can happen. If DIAC thought she may be in breach of her visa conditions like working, they

would've pulled her in for an interview. It seems as if she was just spoken to on the line.

If she's with a boyfriend, they may've thought she's trying to get the 12 months de facto rule up.

You could always lodge a complaint and try to get clarification but I bet nothing would've been

put on file and therefore it's a classic "her word versus my word".

Not great but not a lot you can do I'm afraid.

Regards

Will

Something doesn't add up Bridge,

maybe something lost in the translation

This is her 2nd 12 month m/e within 3 years and I think she had been doing very brief visits back to Thailand and then back to Oz to get a further 3 months. Immigration can always make a determination at Immigration clearance that a visa holder is no longer has the intending to visit Australia as a genuine visitor. Of course there is a process to go through, but can happen nonetheless.

quote)I had a client who was granted a 12 month multiple entry tourist visa with a maximum 3 month each stay. She returned to Thailand after 3 months (1 week) before returning to Australia.

She was pulled aside by Immigration upon arrival and told in no uncertain terms that 'visas runs' might be acceptable in Thailand, but not in Australia, and that is she did it again she would

be put put on the first plane back as she was clearly not a genuine visitor.Quote)

Hi Bridge

It sounds to me as if your client encountered a DIAC officer having a bad day (no excuse).

The chances of her visa being cancelled for multiple visits one after the other would be remote

but it can happen. If DIAC thought she may be in breach of her visa conditions like working, they

would've pulled her in for an interview. It seems as if she was just spoken to on the line.

If she's with a boyfriend, they may've thought she's trying to get the 12 months de facto rule up.

You could always lodge a complaint and try to get clarification but I bet nothing would've been

put on file and therefore it's a classic "her word versus my word".

Not great but not a lot you can do I'm afraid.

Regards

Will

Will,

A think that is a pretty accurate assessment.