Decent Milk

james24

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dutch Mill and Foremost are both just fine I think. The refrigerated bottles of course, in any supermarket.

That doesn't address the main question which was where is milk without sugar. I assume also that he meant cow's milk.

If soy milk is an option there is only one brand in Thailand which claims to have "no added sugar" but I can't remember the brand.

You could try Dacheeso/Hideaway as they produce their own cheeses there and they may know.

Milk has a lot of sugar naturally because its called Lactose or milk sugar. It's one of the most insulin spiking foods out there.

Consuming milk products that are fermented like yogurt is helpful because the Lactose is partially consumed during fermentation and converted to lactase and other cultures. Just don't buy sweetened yogurt.. Best to make it yourself.

Dacheeso's whole milk is excellent. As good as any pasteurized milk I've ever had. It is also unhomogenized. Meiji in the roughly 850 ml plastic bottles is also really good.

Actually, I think thai milk and cream, at least the non UHF kind is superior to most milk in America. Here they still do low temperature pasteurization, so the milk can taste just like raw milk. And the cream whips beautifully. Dacheeso cream is as good as I've had anywhere in Europe. Remarkable stuff.

The milk in boxes is okay, but doesn't have that special dairy flavor that raw milk and low temperature pasteurized milk do.

Huh?

No offence to the OP, but one of the main components of milk is lactose.

Which is a sugar, milk sugar. (As in any other food nutrient ending in "...ose" such as fructose, glucose, sucrose- you get the picture).

I think it is pretty obvious the OP was referring to artificially sweetened milk, which is available in abundance here. Not the naturally occurring lactose.

The dark blue label Meiji milk doesn't contain added sugar.

Nor does Dutch Mills or Foremost. Foremost is the only one however that isn't reconstituted from powder. As far as organic milk goes, that's probably not something I'd be buying here. The quality control and temperture environment is just not at a high enough standard here to expect a good product that won't eventually make you sick..

Dacheeso's whole milk is excellent. As good as any pasteurized milk I've ever had. It is also unhomogenized. Meiji in the roughly 850 ml plastic bottles is also really good.

Actually, I think thai milk and cream, at least the non UHF kind is superior to most milk in America. Here they still do low temperature pasteurization, so the milk can taste just like raw milk. And the cream whips beautifully. Dacheeso cream is as good as I've had anywhere in Europe. Remarkable stuff.

The milk in boxes is okay, but doesn't have that special dairy flavor that raw milk and low temperature pasteurized milk do.

Wow! That assessment is in total opposition to my experience of most dairy products here. And as far as Meiji goes, :bah: .

As far as organic milk goes, that's probably not something I'd be buying here. The quality control and temperture environment is just not at a high enough standard here to expect a good product that won't eventually make you sick..

That is why Art Cafe/Decheeso refuse to sell raw cows milk - even though they are in to holistic health themselves. ;)

Wow! That assessment is in total opposition to my experience of most dairy products here. And as far as Meiji goes, :bah: .

I concur. Their dairy products are quite poor and tasteless IMHO. Their cheese is really not edible.

Edited by elektrified

We have been buying milk for our daughter from a small-batch dairy farm on Canal rd., it is 15B per. Litre and is steaming hot when we pick it up in plastic bags,we quickly transfer the milk into a glass container and refrigerate. Taste is fine (non-sweet).

We have been buying milk for our daughter from a small-batch dairy farm on Canal Rd., 15b per. kg. and steaming hot in a plastic bag when we pick it up in the afternoon. I quickly transfer the milk to a glass vessel and then refrigerate.

The taste is fine (non-sweet) and most likely a much healthier product than the commercial varieties.

Turn right at the 3-way (coming from Big C) onto Canal Rd. and look for it on the left-side within a short distance .

Open after 12noon until around 4-5pm ,depending when they sell out.

The dark blue label Meiji milk doesn't contain added sugar.

Nor does Dutch Mills or Foremost.

My personal taste is for Foremost and always have a supply in the frig. Regarding sugar, below is a photo I just took from a Foremost low fat container in my frig. The arrow is pointing to the Thai word for sugar. I suspect that is natural sugar content and not added?

post-566-0-28016700-1317408441_thumb.jpg

I concur. Their dairy products are quite poor and tasteless IMHO. Their cheese is really not edible.

IMHO Dacheeso/Art Cafe's fresh milk products are quite good: cream cheese, yogurt, feta cheese, cream, butter, goats milk, goats cheese. It is only the aged cheeses that are not all that good. ;)

There are basically 3 classes of Dacheeso products. Their fresh milk products which include milk, cream, cottage cheese, lactobacillus products like yogurt and buttermilk, and aged cheeses. The first 2 are excellent. The aged cheeses are mostly very lightly aged and bland. I suspect they are tailored for Thai consumers who mostly feel about well aged cheese the way most farangs feel about shrimp paste or Pla Ra.

I, too, buy the same brands of cow's milk other posters have said they buy that are free of any sugar added. It is only the soy milk that I have found with sugar (well, other than sweetened condensed canned milk).

"The average freezing point of cow milk is -0.547C"

I have a fridge that I keep cold but nowhere near that cold and all the brands freeze apart from Meiji. Seems to suggest some dilution going on.

Where does this happen in the refrigerator? Only one shelf, e.g., top shelf only, or anywhere?

I had a similar problem that I really only notice with some liquids that I very cleverly diagnosed (after a couple of years) as happening to the items that I set next to the vent from the freezer into the refrigerator (a side by side one) on the top shelf. So there I was, getting freezer temp air (or close to it?) blowing on the foods. They did not actually freeze, but were close to freezing.

Never happened on the next shelf down or lower.