Siam Center Dairy Queen Grill And Chill Gone!

FreedomDude

Sadly, I discovered yesterday that the usually very busy Siam Center Dairy Queen Grill and Chill is CLOSED PERMANTLY! Does anyone have any information on this? I asked a security guard where the DQ was now and he directed me to the 4th floor, but it's just a small ice cream only stand. I enjoyed getting a frequent American fast food fix there. It was the only one I was aware of in the Central Bangkok BTS accessible area. Anyone know if there are any other convenient locations around? They seemed to do a very brisk business there with most of the tables always full and the cashiers constantly taking orders.

This might help some....but I can't tell if it distinguishes between the food places and the ice cream only ones...

http://www.dq-fanclu...hp?DivisionID=6

Note..that web list of locations for the BKK areas actually has 5 different pages in total...the page links are at the bottom of each page list.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

that location's rent must be exorbitant. there have been many shops located there since i have been in Thailand.

You said it. I can't think of a SINGLE location in ALL of Bangkok more convenient. BTS interchange station and just steps from the ticket turnstiles.

I often had a hard time finding a seat there, though. And the cashiers were constantly taking orders without pause. Makes me wonder if DQ just decided not to offer food locations in Thailand. If that was the only profitable location, perhaps the other locations were such a failure that they just closed all of them. Maybe it just wasn't cost effective to supply only one store.

That's why I was hoping somebody might confirm another location that is still open. I know I've seen other locations at some of the suburban mall locations. I can't remember where exactly, but I 'm pretty sure I saw one in a Mall on the other side of the river ( i know that's vague, sorry!) about 6 months ago.

They had chili dogs, for gods sake! Chili dogs! Where else can I get a <deleted>' chili dog in this town! ARRRGH! Sorry for the rant. I'm okay now :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

They had chili dogs, for gods sake! Chili dogs! Where else can I get a <deleted>' chili dog in this town! ARRRGH! Sorry for the rant. I'm okay now :lol:

Oddly enough, MOS Burger has a chili dog that I found quite edible.

Sad about the DQ - that was a (very) guilty (very) pleasure. I wonder what will go into that space.

at the big tescos in Suphan town there was a DQ with hotdogs...I looked in vain for the bubbling pot of chilli to be seen at other DQ outlets worldwide but alas, that level of sophistication is unknown in provincial Thailand...a couple of years ago they quit selling hot dogs that I useta take upstairs with mustard and onions to the food hall and hook down with my draft beer...really a drag as it was nice to have the diversion while the wimminfolk shopped for 3+ hours or so...

years ago in Bahrain there was a DQ with chilli dogs in a shopping mall and I useta enjoy wolfing down a couple with the associated chilli dog mess...my wife (a thai, and unused to international cuisine) would consume an ice cream and watch me, silently...

• 2 months later...

I was wandering around Silom Complex shopping center near the Saladaeng BTS station yesterday and discovered to my surprise that there is a full food menu Dairy Queen outlet in the basement there, right as you enter from Silom Road by doing down the exterior stairs before heading inside.

I happened to be there around noontime, so went inside to try a DQ burger, which I'd never tried in Thailand before. I ordered what looked to be their top of the line double beef burger w/ cheese set (with curly fries and a mug of root beer) for 125 baht.

The root beer was fine.... The curly fries were so-so...not bad, but not especially good or flavorful either. But the burger definitely was ho-hum... nothing that's going to draw me back there for another meal..

That, and, at noon time, what was quite a large sized restaurant with lots of table seating was almost empty.... And when the counter girl asked me to wait 5 minutes for my burger, I was hoping that might mean they'd be cooking it fresh....Alas, that wasn't the case.

The burger patties they served up were pretty dry and tasteless...and seemed like they had been sitting around a good long while since being cooked. The bun was nothing more than the grocery store bought variety. But at least they served the burger with some fresh lceberg lettuce and tomato and pickle slices.

In retrospect, the photo of the burger actually makes it look pretty good. But the taste just wasn't there.

BTW, the Silom Complex mall is going to be closing after the New Year for renovation, and probably will be dark for at least six months. Who knows whether the DQ shop will return there when the mall reopens later in the year. They certainly weren't doing much business at lunchtime yesterday.

post-58284-0-13143100-1324660988_thumb.j

Well, as they say, please disregard this post of mine above... entirely.

I was mistaken in my writing in that the place referred to above was in fact an A&W outlet... not a Dairy Queen outlet... But at least I caught my own mistake, before someone else berated me for it... sorry.gif

Ten lashes with a soggy curly fry for the Tall Guy... jap.gif

yeah...A&W never did have very good burgers; they were like an after thought for the root beer floats...

always did like the layout for the typical A&W root beer place in rural areas in the US, pulling up out side with car hop service, root beer served in big chilled mugs...wonder do they still exist?

always did like the layout for the typical A&W root beer place in rural areas in the US, pulling up out side with car hop service, root beer served in big chilled mugs...wonder do they still exist?

The Silom Complex branch did serve their root beer in a modestly chilled mug, which was nice... But no drive in service at Silom Complex... I might go back for a root beer float, sometime, though... licklips.gif

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK