Buy A Lucky Number My Love

David006

This is the most active topic for ages. Rightly so, as snakes negatively motivate me as much as sharks. I suppose our individual attitudes have a lot to do with where we all grew up and the attitudes of people around us as well as the population density and danger level on the snakes. I think it was Winston Churchill who said something about a pacifist being a person who fed the crocodiles in the hope he would be the last one they ate. My Grandfather who was an animal farmer always said, "Only good snake is a dead one!" He was also the same guy that took my dog to the farm to train for me when I was about nine years old. Weeks later on a visit to the farm, when asked about progress, he casually says, "Not worth his tucker, shot him."

So I have a question primarily for other Aussies as I have never heard of it happening anywhere else. Who has seen a snake killed, beheaded and gutted by being cracked like a whip? Snakes in the sheep yards in NSW were a problem and were dispatched by the stockmen while walking through the flocks. Grab the snake by the tail, swing it high in the air and KERRR..RACK, just like a bull whip, head and entrails are gone, Hang the body over the fence. I often thought it would be hard luck for anyone way over where the mouth open startled snake head descended. Fancy getting bitten in the neck by a hundred mile an hour taipan head? No thanks.

Here big snakes dont stand a chance if they are spotted. Sliced up and in the pot in minutes. Protein is valued highly, and even Thais surely must get sick of eating rice sometimes? Strange old world isn't it! Takes all types.

If you ever visited some Boer farmers in Namibia or South Africa; they will tell you Leopards and Cheetahs are eating their live stock.

Every one deserves to die, they shoot them on sight all time.

Meanwhile none of them lift a finger to protect and pen their calves at night when most attacks happen.

Is much easier to just kill away.

You are right about cultural upbringing, if you did not learn to respect nature early in life; you just think it's something endless to be used by you without any re-precautions.

In today's world it is quite clear nature is finite and in trouble.

This are the same people that think Global Warming is a myth and oil is endless.

In Thailand, few people drink real coffee in the morning.

Best regards.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soidog,Nothing innocent deserves to die, man or beast. I suppose the issue is can you train a snake or wild cat to stay away from a recently discovered source of an easy meal. I think not. But wanten killing is not the answer either. You make a good point on the awakening to reality of too many people over-using the earths limited resources. You are smarter man than me if you have the answer. I am a "baby boomer" and was taught the values of the fifties and sixties as a child. I hope I have continued to learn rather than be trapped in the values of those times. I try to live more responsibly than I did before but as much out necessity as out of conscience. We all can and should do more without doubt.Hold your values close, you are on the right track.Isaan Aussie

This is the most active topic for ages. Rightly so, as snakes negatively motivate me as much as sharks. I suppose our individual attitudes have a lot to do with where we all grew up and the attitudes of people around us as well as the population density and danger level on the snakes. I think it was Winston Churchill who said something about a pacifist being a person who fed the crocodiles in the hope he would be the last one they ate. My Grandfather who was an animal farmer always said, "Only good snake is a dead one!" He was also the same guy that took my dog to the farm to train for me when I was about nine years old. Weeks later on a visit to the farm, when asked about progress, he casually says, "Not worth his tucker, shot him."

So I have a question primarily for other Aussies as I have never heard of it happening anywhere else. Who has seen a snake killed, beheaded and gutted by being cracked like a whip? Snakes in the sheep yards in NSW were a problem and were dispatched by the stockmen while walking through the flocks. Grab the snake by the tail, swing it high in the air and KERRR..RACK, just like a bull whip, head and entrails are gone, Hang the body over the fence. I often thought it would be hard luck for anyone way over where the mouth open startled snake head descended. Fancy getting bitten in the neck by a hundred mile an hour taipan head? No thanks.

Here big snakes dont stand a chance if they are spotted. Sliced up and in the pot in minutes. Protein is valued highly, and even Thais surely must get sick of eating rice sometimes? Strange old world isn't it! Takes all types.

I have heard of it ,but never seen it.

The closest I witnessed was on a rabbiting trip and a bloke grabbed a red bellied black snake by the tail and whacked it against a sapling ,problem was the snake wrapped around the sapling when he released the tail and it came back like a boomerang and hit the bloke smack in the chest, never saw a bloke lose his suntan so quickly.

India thought they had a snake problem. Now they have a rat problem. Oh and to snake kill on sight folks. Check what the primary prey of King Cobras is. Hint their Latin name in part means snake hunter.

Just to even things up ,the wifes dad killed a mongoose today I wanted to post a photo but it was eaten by the time i got back .I am sad to say they did not save me any. So had to settle for two pork chops, in apple and brandy new potatoes carrots peas and onion gravy. Things you miss out on when you work an extra hour.

Just to even things up ,the wifes dad killed a mongoose today I wanted to post a photo but it was eaten by the time i got back .I am sad to say they did not save me any. So had to settle for two pork chops, in apple and brandy new potatoes carrots peas and onion gravy. Things you miss out on when you work an extra hour.

You poor deprived bugger. :rolleyes:

:cheesy:

I have never worried about snakes, seen them all my life in OZ. The kids know to keep away from them. What I find worrying is scorpions. We have big ones, the locals call queen scorpions. Now the inter net tells me that the biggest scorpion in Thailand is about the size of your hand, but we get them twice as long as your hand . Don/t know how poisonous they are. but they are big. Anyone who has those plastic garage dins will know how big, as they will hang from the top to the ground. Don't like spiders or scorpion, but may guess is 14 to 15 cm long. I know that they have done a servery about 2 years ago and discovered 2000 new bugs and plants down the road but they have missed these beauties. Jim

A year ago, black rubber mesh screen was the hottest item selling in my shop...some use them to make fish trap, build chicken cages, rabbit pen.....and Tokay enclosure :lol:

Was told then about Chinese from China and Malaysia are buying them Tokays for medical purposes, and they'd pay 100'000 THB for a half kg Tokay and 250'000 THB for a kg one. I was selling close to 30 rolls of 3, 5, 7, 9 and 12mm mesh screen in 2 months during the monsoon season, i didn't have the heart to spoil their new money making dream by telling them that it may be a hoax. They even offered to catch my Tokays and paid me 250 THB each...i negotiated for 300 a piece :lol: .

Here's the article published;

Tokay Geckos Gekko For Sale $300K – Market Exploding

Hoax or not, but it has been a booming business for some :) ;

A Giant Gecko Worth $19 Millions, a Surprising Business

post-42398-0-05516600-1318093614_thumb.j

Edited by RedBullHorn

I have never worried about snakes, seen them all my life in OZ. The kids know to keep away from them. What I find worrying is scorpions. We have big ones, the locals call queen scorpions. Now the inter net tells me that the biggest scorpion in Thailand is about the size of your hand, but we get them twice as long as your hand . Don/t know how poisonous they are. but they are big. Anyone who has those plastic garage dins will know how big, as they will hang from the top to the ground. Don't like spiders or scorpion, but may guess is 14 to 15 cm long. I know that they have done a servery about 2 years ago and discovered 2000 new bugs and plants down the road but they have missed these beauties. Jim

I know the wifes mum eats them and she gets stung once or twice a year while collecting them they tell me the smaller they are the worse the sting dont know how true that is :blink: buy the way I tryed them they were not to my liking

I don't like snakes around, and agree with IA's old man :whistling:

We've had snakes in the garage, kitchen, swimming pool, restaurant, bar, restaurant kitchen, garden, etc.

All the bigger ones were shopped and marinated in plastic bags, before BBQ'ed and eaten by our workers at the end of the day and washed down with Lao Kao. Usually my eleven Thai dogs takes care of most snakes that comes to close, but if needed I'm happy to assist. ;)

Edited by bergen

I know the wifes mum eats them and she gets stung once or twice a year while collecting them they tell me the smaller they are the worse the sting dont know how true that is :blink: buy the way I tryed them they were not to my liking

It's true that in Thailand, the smaller brown scorpion have the worst sting and it's really painful :bah:

When i was in China, they deep fry baby brown scorpion, taste like fried locust :D

Have heard something about the scorpions.I am not sure how true it is.If you just trop something on it that containsalcohol, they'll go crazy and comit suicide bystinging themselves in the neck.Have anybody tried that?

Have heard something about the scorpions.I am not sure how true it is. If you just drop something on it that contains alcohol, they'll go crazy and comit suicide by stinging themselves in the neck. Have anybody tried that?

had a pint of beer chucked over me once, I did go crazy but never felt like comiting suicide (how ever I did want to kill the bitch that did it ):blink:

Having watched 2 of my dogs die horribly from cobra bites, all snakes I find are mercilessly dispatched, usually with a machete or a rock.

Each one I kill gives me a small amount of satisfaction revenge for my dogs.

:thumbsup:

Last new years we all had a big one on the piss and woke up to venture outside when as i pulled my shorts ups i was stung atleast 5-10 times by a small but f,ing agressive scorpion on my ass and ran around the house hungover with me tackle hanging out thinking i was going to die , for i too thought the small ones were more poisonous too, but no i lived, but had this reoccuring pain in my ass for a couple of days .

Then a couple of days after that the wife says cahange sides of the bed so she can watch tv better instead of trying to view it over my fat ass and when im on her sude of the bed no lattern than 5 minutes another one f,ing bites my ass again .

COME ON GIVE ME A BREAK

So now i too have the metallity of kill or be killed in our house . 2 nights ago 1 large mouse ( rat ) in the trap in our room and last night what luck two mice in the same trap one was obiously not the smart one to eat with his friend

bahahahah

hope you all have a laugh

I'm in the kill the crawling, slithering, biting creatures camp.

If it can do me harm I kill them with impunity. They are dangerous animals and when they cross my path I get rid of them.

Photo of a domesticated, house broken cobra

post-20966-0-45490700-1318661668_thumb.j

Getting a bit one sided this looks like the tree huggers are out numbered here in Thailand and we still have to talk about Spiders yet. But lads If your going to kill snakes remember there great duck food dont get close best thing is a 5ft stick and smash them just behind the head or the top weapon is a petrol strimmer there can only be one winner.:ph34r:

Getting a bit one sided this looks like the tree huggers are out numbered here in Thailand and we still have to talk about Spiders yet. But lads If your going to kill snakes remember there great duck food dont get close best thing is a 5ft stick and smash them just behind the head or the top weapon is a petrol strimmer there can only be one winner.:ph34r:

When walking around on the farm, or hiking in the nearby mountain range, I'm always armed with a 6ft stick! ;)

When walking around on the farm, or hiking in the nearby mountain range, I'm always armed with a 6ft stick! ;)

You are a brave man Trond, a big stick against AK 47 rounds and artillery shells. Or is the stick to probe for the landmines. Jim

You are a brave man Trond, a big stick against AK 47 rounds and artillery shells. Or is the stick to probe for the landmines. Jim

Up in the mountains I can walk in the foot prints of Buddha, and should thus be protected against mines and bullets.. :whistling:

The dozer blade of a Kubota works pretty good too.

to me, big tukays are a big hassle. I've heard Thais like to have them in their houses, but how do they like all the date pit-sized shit everywhere? A house with big tukays smells like an abandoned zoo. I kill them every chance I get. I handled a dead one and my hands itched for an hour.