Teaching Without Books

I am teaching At Anuban Roi-Et, grades one thru six. I am not allowed to use books. I am teaching in the English Program. None of the Thai teachers or director speaks English. When I submit a lesson plan they tell me it is no good. I created a Social Studies program to teach English. I am not able to use the indicators as put out by the Ministry of Education so I am told.

What do they want? They can't seem to tell me other than my lesson plan is no good. I think that they are looking for a way to get rid of me. I have been there 5 months, no one tells you anything. I get screamed at by Thai teachers that the exam is too hard, all the students scored between 80 and 100%, the students tell me that the exams are not hard.

What can I do to supply a lesson plan that will satisfy them? Since they can't read English anyway. Another foreign teacher told me the lesson plan looked fine to him.

I am the only teacher teaching 12 classes of english one thru six, plus 2 health classes per week, I can use the prescribed health book, but that is the only book.

I see each class one hour per week, where other teachers teach the same class every day. The politics between the teachers both Thai and foreign make me sick. I feel that I am almost being abused. Twice in the past two weeks my motorcycle has be knocked down. The director of the English program takes my umbrella. People go into my desk and help themselves when I am not there.

Thai teachers come to me and ask me to change, falsify grades for their students, students who have marks in the high 80's and 90's.

Suggestions, advice please.... Other than leaving there....

Edited by Colabamumbai

You are in a difficult situation and leaving may be your only option--either you decide or they decide on your behalf.

Unless you can have a sit down conversation about the lesson plans, it's hard to know what is wrong. The last time they complained about one of our staff's lesson plans, it was because his handwriting wasn't neat enough!

You are in a difficult situation and leaving may be your only option--either you decide or they decide on your behalf.

Unless you can have a sit down conversation about the lesson plans, it's hard to know what is wrong. The last time they complained about one of our staff's lesson plans, it was because his handwriting wasn't neat enough!

Thanks my handwriting is excellent and my lesson plan is done on the computer. I won't submit my lesson plans for grades 1, 2 and 3, and health until I can resolve the lesson plan for grades 4, 5, and 6 to whom I am teaching the Social Studies program, we visit different countries the students get maps, copies of the from pages of passports, visas from my passport, they learn about the culture, language, customs, and currency of different countries and are tested on the information learned.

Appreciate your time and advice.

Ack! This sounds like an absolute nightmare of a situation to be in. :(

Unless you can sit down and arrange to speak to someone with regards to why your lesson plans are wrong then I have no idea what else to suggest. However most of the time a person's instincts are usually correct and if you think they are trying to get rid of you then they probably are. I would make an ultimatum with them. Demand to know why your lesson plans are wrong and ask what they're expecting of you otherwise you'll have to seek employment from elsewhere.

Ack! This sounds like an absolute nightmare of a situation to be in. :(

Unless you can sit down and arrange to speak to someone with regards to why your lesson plans are wrong then I have no idea what else to suggest. However most of the time a person's instincts are usually correct and if you think they are trying to get rid of you then they probably are. I would make an ultimatum with them. Demand to know why your lesson plans are wrong and ask what they're expecting of you otherwise you'll have to seek employment from elsewhere.

It is a nightmare and the vibes are not good, they were fine for two months, everyone talks behind your back, the foreign teachers, their are 10 of us. No one will help you ie. I print out all the marks for the year and the totals with the exam, and then am told I need only show the percentage out of 70 for the semester and the final exam, to total 100%, meanwhile I spend hours recording all the marks from quizes and tests for the teachers.

A friend has two appointments scheduled for me in Kalasin next week at two diffferent schools, one will have to approve a budget to pay me, currently I recelve 30,000 Baht a month. 12 classes of Engliish, all diffferent classes, 2 classes of health, and a boy scouts class. They made me give the Phys Ed exam to my health students and I do not teach Phys Ed.

I almost told them where to go today when they told me I had to provide the number of the student beside the students name and marks, after I had all the marks finished and in envelopes for them. I was better off on my retirement visa, but I like to work.

Edited by Colabamumbai

Dye your hair green.

Paint your nose red.

Take juggling lessons.

If they don't like that they're not Thai admin.

I do magic tricks for the kids, practicing magician here.

I actually wanted to go in dressed like a clown,with the big shoes, face paint outfit etc Bozo, so it is more than a coincidence that you suggested that. I asked the girlfriend last week where I might find some of the things I would need.

Your best bet may be to leave. You are being targeted. Make sure you have your ducks in order before leaving and as long as you are there, do the best you can.

Yes I can always leave and if I don't find work before my visa expires March 31, I can convert to retirement visa, with income documentation and letter fron Canadian Embassy to veryfy. I doubt that the school would have the intelligence to cancel the work permit, so I will do this myself after getting lettter from embassy re monthly income and then go to immigration to chage the visa without having to leave. I have done this before, but everywhere I go someone wants me to teach.

Edited by Colabamumbai

That situation sounds awful - I hope you're okay and can get out soon. What a horrible place to work; I can't believe Thai teachers are screaming at you! What have you possibly done to warrant that? How have you provoked your colleagues thus? That really stands at odds with all my experiences with Thais, ever.

Seeing as you asked for advice 'other than leaving' - (bear in mind I would have left 5 months ago were I in your situation) - you could try:

1) asking your boss for an 'example' lesson plan which shows the structure they want. Thai's love 'examples' and all organizations world-wide have a preferred methodology. If you worked at the British Council, you teach their way, if you study for a DELTA you do it their way, it's not that it's right or wrong, it's life so don't take your boss' criticism personally.

2) shave cleanly

3) dress smartly

4) dye the grey out of your hair,

5) make the tests easier and

6) drop the attitude about 'falsifying' results, just smile and take one for the team - they want higher grades? no problem; if the ducks quack feed them, as the saying goes. The Thai staff are only worried that their student's grades will reflect negatively on their Thai teachers, not you.

I can't believe Thai teachers are screaming at you! What have you possibly done to warrant that?

Being far less experienced than them while earning 4 times as much?

Perhaps some have been at the school for nearly 30 years, are heads of departments and don't like foreigners coming in and straight away getting a much bigger paycheck than them.

Edited by hehehoho

That situation sounds awful - I hope you're okay and can get out soon. What a horrible place to work; I can't believe Thai teachers are screaming at you! What have you possibly done to warrant that? How have you provoked your colleagues thus? That really stands at odds with all my experiences with Thais, ever.

Seeing as you asked for advice 'other than leaving' - (bear in mind I would have left 5 months ago were I in your situation) - you could try:

1) asking your boss for an 'example' lesson plan which shows the structure they want. Thai's love 'examples' and all organizations world-wide have a preferred methodology. If you worked at the British Council, you teach their way, if you study for a DELTA you do it their way, it's not that it's right or wrong, it's life so don't take your boss' criticism personally.

2) shave cleanly

3) dress smartly

4) dye the grey out of your hair,

5) make the tests easier and

6) drop the attitude about 'falsifying' results, just smile and take one for the team - they want higher grades? no problem; if the ducks quack feed them, as the saying goes. The Thai staff are only worried that their student's grades will reflect negatively on their Thai teachers, not you.

Shave daily, I am a business man, dress smartly daily, dress pants shirt, long or short, and tie, some days without tie like this week with little going on. Short Thai haircut

The tests are easy reviews the week before and 15 minutes before the exam with examples written on the whiteboard telling them was was the incorrect answer when they had to answer the questions...... I do not like to be asked to lower a students mark, when the student has earned it. I like to be honest.

Oh I cut my finger on a double edge razor blade and had to go to the hospital, I missed two classes but informed them beforehand. The director of my program who hired me, told me "Don't let that happen again"

I am allowed 12 sickdays per year and have not used one. We fingerprint sign in daily, the mouse refuses to accept my print, so instead of them taking it again on their computer I must go into the office and sign a sheet with the time and my name.

I have taught for 2 years here at both private and public schools and have never experienced anything like this anywhere.

I go in with a smile on my face daily waiting to see what the day will bring. I am positive I work nightly preparing lessons for the kids(without books). I only make about 500 photocopies a week. He he ho

Edited by Colabamumbai

^ Anuban schools are known for their concrete policies regarding curriculum, course layout and lesson planning. Especially when the school has an English Programme. Obviously because the Anuban schools in Thailand belong to a chain of kindergarten and primary schools. How many are there nationwide? Basically, each province has one. They communicate with each other.

I think it's all clear. They don't like you and don't want you around.

I guess it's time for you to look out a new job.

I have read of some horror stories and wanted to share mine..... I was thinking maybe it is time to leave, but wanted to hear what other people/teachers had to think.

This has taken a toll on my health, they make me sit at as desk in fornt of an air conditioner. Getting over pnemonia I have had to start wearing a hat in the office.

When the doctor said your blood pressure is 183 over 113 ant that is not good I knew that my feelings and stress were not worth my life.

I have read of some horror stories and wanted to share mine..... I was thinking maybe it is time to leave, but wanted to hear what other people/teachers had to think.

This has taken a toll on my health, they make me sit at as desk in fornt of an air conditioner. Getting over pnemonia I have had to start wearing a hat in the office.

When the doctor said your blood pressure is 183 over 113 ant that is not good I knew that my feelings and stress were not worth my life.

You take care and all the best in finding the job that suits you. :)

I have read of some horror stories and wanted to share mine.....

Wait a minute now. I recall that you've posted on Thai Visa some horror stories regarding your relationship with your Thai partner as well. aloofandbored10.gif

Yes the OP does seem to make problems for himself.. We had one like that at my school. Nice guy but could not get out of the north American mindset. So EVERYTHING was a problem even to the extent of ordering Mcdonalds. "Why don't they understand what i want"