Using Long Telephoto Lens In Public. How Safe Is It?

azsxdc

I have never felt threatened in Thailand using any photo gear. The advantage of using long lenses for street photography is that you are further away from your subject and perhaps less likely to be spotted; the downside is that you are carrying bigger gear and are generally more obvious.

My wife and I went shooting on beach road in Pattaya where the hookers are not that keen on being photographed. My wife was shooting with a 100-300 lens on a Panasonic GF1 and was using a Fuji X100. We both got the shots, although the retro-looking Fuji with its silent shutter attracted the least attention. My wife was only hassled once when I ladyboy asked her to stop taking photos.

Watch out for the Thai Volunteer Tourist Police in Pattaya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbFAqKpGV8M

Hate to be rude, because I think the world of all Volunteers. However, that particular one is probably upset after spending 27 years on the force in his country and barely making Sergeant. Maybe he's trying to get a decent promotion here ?

I hate officials anywhere that hassle people over photography when there's so many other more serious issues that they ignore.

How about from other tourists wanting to steal? Also i heard stories of locals grabbing bags out of traveler's hand and running off. So I assume a long lens would look valuable even if they don't know how to use.

• 2 weeks later...

Also consider using a long prime.

I have the Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS white monster lens, but I find it a bit much for day to day shooting. For street stuff and most gigs, I now use the 135/f2, which is an amazing lens. It's tiny compared to the 70-200 and less than half the weight. Plus the f2 really does a nice job of blowing out the background.

kid and the sea

twins

http://www.flickr.com/photos/koknia/6246796680/

Edited by koknia

I shoot with a 18-200 vr nikon and love it .

here's a trick;

if u see someone u wish to take a pic of, stop and smile at them and raise the lens.

they will look away but they will always look back to see if ur still there,

The other is if they are in a group their friends will tell them ur still there and they will 95% of the time look back at u smiling.

To me its a waste of time to photograph a person NOT looking at u.

I am a big fan of shooting with a Leica straight from the hip. Or an Olympus E Pen 2 or 3. For me the essence with street photography and photojournalism is to shoot the subject(s) before they are aware of the photographer. The bigger the gear IMHO the more intimidating and it is impossible to hide ones role as photographer. Big, long lenses works well if one functions like an ethnographer by spending considerable amounts of time with the subjects and become one of them to the point where they barely realise that they are being captured on film or are very comfortable with the fact.

Pauljones I agree, however I also want to refer you to this fabulous project I mentioned on another thread - Human Negotiations explores the lives of a community of Bangkok sex workers through images and text.

I have absolutely no idea to be honest. I came across the book when I was writing an article about the child photographers featured in the documentary film Born into Brothels which tells the story of the kids born into the Calcutta red light district. A search led me to the Bangkok sex workers.

PS - I see the Kids With Cameras web as well as the Born into Brothels one is compromised. Should you be interested to read more about that it is best to just read the wiki for the moment (it is an award winning film though, you might very well be familiar with it on the other hand). Cheers!

Edited by TheMrs

Well I guess I am about to find out! Im gonna buy the 70-200 f2.8 IS II next week during my trip to Hong Kong and Japan. It is dirt cheap in HK, so Im gonna pick it up while I'm there.

But I will probably end up using my 135L for all kind of street / candid photography. Just like Koknia described above, it is the perfect lens for discrete street photos.

Or not!.. If the 70-200 is as good as I think it is, I will probably weld it to my camera.

Edited by ricku

I shoot with a 18-200 vr nikon and love it .

here's a trick;

if u see someone u wish to take a pic of, stop and smile at them and raise the lens.

they will look away but they will always look back to see if ur still there,

Cool!

Another great trick for photographing people who might get angry at you:

If you see an interesting person, pan with your camera from side to side in an 100 - 130 degree angle, and hold still one second for every shot you make.

If you are taking pictures like this, the person you intend to shoot will never realize that she / he is the main target! Everyone, including the subject, will just think you are doing a panorama of the environment!

And of course, never look the person in the eyes. If you get eye contact and they see your big camera + lens, your cover will be blown!!

Edited by ricku

Just a heads up..... Years ago, I was walking past Nana Plaza and some angry bar owner was scolding a photographer and smashing the guys gear on the road..then a car ran over it.

Beach Road photographers need to extra careful these days. Reports of the criminal gangs running the jet ski scams have been attacking people taking their picture.

The 70-200 is great. I have one. It gets way too much attention as a walk around lens. Getting stealth candid shots with this will be difficult.

Edited by pauljones

The 70-200 is great. I have one. It gets way too much attention as a walk around lens. Getting stealth candid shots with this will be difficult.

This!

Why are some people being so paranoid and uptight about photographers? Its not like they are Paris Hilton or David Beckham, beeing chased by paparazzi! But maybe they like to pretend that, every time they see a photographer with a telephoto lens?

Their behaviour reminds me of:

sur32ikat.jpg

Seriously, when I happen to see someone with a high end camera / telephoto lens, I just think "cool, nice gear", and then I just move on with my day.

LOL funny pic and I get what you say. However, to be photographed is first and foremost an invasion of personal privacy. It is human to be apprehensive when you don't know the intent of the photographer and have no control over where the image will be published and who it will be exposed too. Some people can ignore a lens and others feel highly uncomfortable with it. Different cultures also respond differently to photographers. In many cultures it is a societal taboo to photograph for instance the women, not even if you ask for permission to do so would it be granted. Same goes for children. Other cultures love being photographed. It is also a matter of ethics.

Heres some good articles;

Photo

Sreeet photography

Learn

I have only had a few bad experiences in the past an most of them were in Africa, Once locked up, once chased by an angry mob.

I love working on the street an in Asia have never experienced anything bad.

Reason i use the Nikor 18-200VR (for Nikon users, a better lens than the 70-100, even though a little slower so boost ur iso) is i like working close and its not the HUGE 70-200 ( which in effect is 135 mm on a digital and your to far away from ur subject.

U need get in close an become involved.