Cheapest Place To Buy Appliances For New Home In Samui?

GLS

Hi All,

Hope your having a good day.

Just wondering where people would recommend the best place to kit out our new home with a few appliances?

We need like stand fan,toaster, kettle, electric hob etc.

I had a look at Tesco prices seemed pretty good but just want to check is there anywhere better/cheaper people would recommend?

Thank you,

Tescos as you say are OK. BigC is similar, although I suspect a little cheaper for lesser quality products.

HomePro is another; generally more expensive for the same items found in Tescos, but often carries 'western' brands which usually are better quality.

From experience I can tell you that buying cheap is false economy. Going for the cheapest fan, grill, toaster etc will end up with you having to replace it very quickly. You are better off buying quality to start with. I know I wish I had.

I can understand that. I agree so where do you think is the best value?

the best value is to buy as few as possible. Kitchen? Hob? Toaster? No need - It's cheaper to eat outside than to cook in a kitchen for sure. We pay 20.000+ for food (Thai/Farang/Seafood) to be cooked in my kitchen/month and I am still fascinated how cheap it is to get a meal outside...but I prefer to eat at my home facing the beautiful GoT

From experience I can tell you that buying cheap is false economy. Going for the cheapest fan, grill, toaster etc will end up with you having to replace it very quickly. You are better off buying quality to start with. I know I wish I had.

There really isn't that much choice. HomePro has brands Tesco doesn't. BigC sometimes has promotions. The shops are only a a mile apart, it would take less than an hour to check them out. I am with bungalowbob. Buy quality. Names you are familiar with from your own country ... so for me that is Philips, Moulinex, Tefal etc.

I agree too, get brand names you know, and see how long the warranty is, if three months usually not OK, if one year usually better...

All the shops are all in a small distance of each other... Check Sirisen too... and compare prices, although I don't think you'll find a huge difference... in price, some times it comes down to service too....

Make sure to keep your receipts and warranty cards...

I agree too, get brand names you know, and see how long the warranty is, if three months usually not OK, if one year usually better...

All the shops are all in a small distance of each other... Check Sirisen too... and compare prices, although I don't think you'll find a huge difference... in price, some times it comes down to service too....

Make sure to keep your receipts and warranty cards...

Ok thats great just wanted to check I didn't miss any other place. Will check out Big C and compare!

There are a few shops in Nathon, coming from Maenam on the left as you enter town, another one in the middle road next to bike shop.

You can also look @ Makro they have a few bits & pieces.

If you decide on HomePro, make sure you get one of their HomePro Cards as that will get you a further discount.

Bought a set of steps there a few months ago and my card gave me a 50% discount. You will not get that on everything but worth enquiring.

If you decide on HomePro, make sure you get one of their HomePro Cards

Do you know anything more about this? I get asked if I have a card every time I am in there. I once was about to ask for the application form for the card and the girl at the till told me I had to BUY the card for something like 2,000 THB. I thought this was odd, so didn't bother following it through.:unsure: Maybe a little confusion on my part? Or her English? It isn't important, but it would be nice to know that you can get one just like the Tescos card.

They gave my first one years ago after about all but finish building my house lo. The amount of discounts was a few baht & sometimes satangs. Then at one stage, you had to spend Bht 12,000 to get one, still you hardly get anything off, unless you accumulate your points to get the big discount, I can hardly believe you got 50% with no credit points.

I just spent over 200K & got , wait for it 1 bonus point, because I used a credit card. Never told me the condition, not to worry.

If you decide on HomePro, make sure you get one of their HomePro Cards

Do you know anything more about this? I get asked if I have a card every time I am in there. I once was about to ask for the application form for the card and the girl at the till told me I had to BUY the card for something like 2,000 THB. I thought this was odd, so didn't bother following it through.:unsure: Maybe a little confusion on my part? Or her English? It isn't important, but it would be nice to know that you can get one just like the Tescos card.

I have had mine for a while now so cannot remember the exact requirements. We were buying a reasonable amount from them so maybe what she was saying was that you get one when you spend more than Baht 2,000 which we had done. Worth asking again.

They gave my first one years ago after about all but finish building my house lo. The amount of discounts was a few baht & sometimes satangs. Then at one stage, you had to spend Bht 12,000 to get one, still you hardly get anything off, unless you accumulate your points to get the big discount, I can hardly believe you got 50% with no credit points.

I just spent over 200K & got , wait for it 1 bonus point, because I used a credit card. Never told me the condition, not to worry.

I was somewhat surprised as well, but when I showed her my card and before she put the number in, she asked if I wanted the points or a discount. I asked how much was the discount and I thought she said 15% which was OK, but when she rang it up on the till I could see it was 50%. TIT I suppose.

I would say there's definitely money to be saved by doing your own cooking. Especially how much the food costs here in Samui.

Especially if you are a family, there's even more to save. Also, you get to cook your own food the way and quantity as you like it.

You also gets to decide the quality & price of the produce you're going to cook.

My experience is that buying cheap does not necessary needs to be poor quality.

I've bought cheap fans and cheap induction ovens and they're so far still working.

Some appliances may cost 2-3 times more if you buy imported brands.

Thanks for the info Rooo and SamuiRes. I will look into it next time I am there. Last time she asked the question, I was buying a THB 129 light bulb and thought the idea of buying a card for a thousand THB to get a discount didn't make an awful lot of sense!!:lol:

When I 'achieved' my card, there was a minimum amount of spend to get it. I cannot remember how much it was. The discounting is on selected items, for selected promotions. As all of the blurb is in Thai - I cannot advise you.

There was one time when I bought somethings and I was offered a discount on an item or extra points.

It seems pretty random and promotion based from what I can tell.:ermm:

By the way, Tesco offers a loyalty card as well, as does Big C (I think). Tesco for sure does one.

Edited by Tropicalevo