US Mum On Thai Lese Majeste Law At UN Rights Hearing

webfact

... I am an American ... and ... I am ashamed of the loss of voice my country has for a precious right that long ago uniquely separated my forbearers from the rest of the world ... the freedom of expression has since sustained us against many threats, internal and foreign ... and, it is apparently now traded away for whatever reasons.

... America is surely less of a country with the likes of our current political leadership and their failure to stand and be counted on this issue ... the beacon that is America's finest values is fading.

... shame ... shame on us.

Dude, I think that "value" faded from America somewhere between Vietnam and Iraq...

I think most people don't really pay attention to the US anymore anyway, their governments words have as much value and sincerity as Kim Jong Il's.

There is no honor left in governments worldwide.... We will never see the likes of good old Abe anymore:(

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Royal Thai government and the King of Thailand have been quite helpful to the US throughout many years, especially during the Vietnam war. This has extended, I believe, to the present time in less significant or well known ways. A debt of gratitude is owed and is being paid.

I don't know that it's the LM law that is so terrible, but the manner in which it is used, allegedly abused and implemented that is the problem.

The timing is not particularly good for changing the law either. It's a law that should be reviewed during a more stable time.

The Norwegians have the right idea on the LM issue. In Thailand the responsibility for approving LM charges could be delegated to the Privy Council. HMK has already made clear that he doesn't want to be above criticism. There seems to be no excuse for the lack of reform of the law and the way that is has become increasingly used as a political tool.

"Sihasak insisted the media are still free to discuss 'politics'." Ha ha ha. Spoken like a true Thai diplomat but who does he think is going to believe him?