a non genius like me to do a transcript. Except, I’m not all that

confident I can do screaming upset Aunties. I started one here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpDCtri8WVs

Ep. 16 (5-7)

เปา : คุณเล็ก ระวัง !

(31 seconds)

ธนพ: คุณใหญ ครับ

คุณใหญ่: ธนพ

ธนพ: ไม่มีกล้องวงจรปิดที่เกิดอุบัติเหตุ มีคนเห็นเหตุการณ์จำรถได้ แต่จำป้ายทะเบียน

กับคนขับไม่ได้ รู้แค่ว่าในรถนั่งกันมาสองคน ครับ

คุณใหญ่: แล้วคนเจ็บแหล่ะ

ธนพ: สิ้นใจที่โรงพยาบาลนะ ครับ

(59seconds)

คุณใหญ่: เคลียร์ได้ไหม...เขาเรียกเงินเท่าไหร่...จ่ายไปให้จบเรื่อง

ธนพ: ดูแล ไม่น่าจะง่ายครับคุณใหญ่ ทางบ้านของผู้ตายก็มีีฐานะพอสมควร

และ ที่สำคัญ ลูกหลานเขาจะเอาเรื่องให้ถึงที่สุด

คุณใหญ่: ไม่ได้ ฉันยอมให้รัตตภาคย์แปดเปื้อนไม่ได้ ไม่ได้ เด็ดขาด

This is deadly serious business, but in my english translating mind it is ha ha funny.

Would there be another way to translate เครื่องทุ่นแรง other than a labor saving

device ?

2 jailbirds are trying and failing to beat up on the new inmate (เปา) hand to hand. So

one of them pulls out a labor saving device, which happens to be a big razor knife.

สองคนนั่นสู้เปาไม่ได้ ลูกพี่เลยใช้เครื่องทุ่นแรง ควักมีดโกนอันใหญ่ออกมาสู้ เปาเสียเปรียบถูกล็อกจากด้านหลัง

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Since I don’t have a blog and no plans to start one, I’ll be doing my Thai Soap review

column here at Thaivisa in a supportive environment. The first soap I started up at

the top of the thread I’m not going to review because it would not be fair for me to

say it sucked. It’s not a good idea to start a story in the middle, better to start at the

beginning. Then you know the story and the characters and their names as they are

introduced. Also as the story progresses the episode numbers in the written part do

not match up with the videos. It must be because some scenes in the script are left

out of the videos and vice versa. So I quit the one up top and started a new one from

the beginning. I did check the author on the one I’m doing now and it is the original

author of the story. What I do is paste the script on a word processor, download an

episode of youtubes with realplayer and also convert them to mp3 audio only. That

makes it easy to review lines of dialogue than manipulating the video player. I start

reading, prepare new words for my system to remember them and then watch the

video. This is working out fairly well for me. I also hi-light anything in the script in

quotes or any dialogue following a ว่า because there is about a 50/50 chance I will

hear it exactly, almost exactly or changed around a bit in the video. By my observations

some characters are prone to say their lines exactly as quoted while others are not.

Thankfully characters like the หมอผี speak exactly as quoted otherwise she can be

hard to follow, speaking with a big wad of beetlenut in her mouth.

What I’m into now is one called เกมร้าย เกมรัก which I would translate as A Deadly

Game the Game of Love. The setting to start out is a remote island somewhere

around the Krabi area. There is a fisherman village on the island but it looks more

like a community of beach cabanas in paradise. Beautiful unlittered beaches,

a waterfall with a clear pool to swim in etc. No seagulls flying around fish guts.

I was a bit disappointed at the start because there was too much corny antics

and not much dialogue. But I stuck with it anyway and am happy I did. สายชล

is the young handsome male lead. He wins the swim to the raft contest and

gets to select a bride from all the island girls. While he’s running away and the

girls are chasing him (he doesn’t want any of them) he trips over the body of

the young beautiful female lead, นางฟ้า. She is washed up on the beach unconcious,

a survivor from a storm, but her parents were not so lucky.

I’m going to have to cut this short or this post will be too long. Basically, นางฟ้า is

revived but has amnesia. Authorities are not informed I guess because of the

remoteness. The only contact with the outside world is the pier where this dude

named ยาซะ comes from the mainland to buy their fish. At first he seems OK handing

out sweets to the kids and all, but he is actually an evil scuzzball. นางฟ้า ‘s sister

ชมพูแพร (a conniver who treats her sickly sweet niceguy boyfriend like dog doo) who was

adopted comes down south looking for her, but her search is interrupted when she is

informed that her backstabbing bitch partner just stole her interest in a hotel they were partners in.

ชมพูแพร rushes back to Bangkokand also discovers she got the short end of the stick when her

parents will is read.

นางฟ้า gets the airline business 1.3 billion baht and the mansion. ชมพูแพร gets a

lousy 300 million and the guest house. But นางฟ้า is still officially missing. By a fluke

ชมพูแพร discovers where the sister is and sends a P.I. down to get her. For some reason

she doesn’t want to inform the police because of the press. The P.I. ends

up hiring the evil scuzzball ยาซะ to kidnap her. Oh.forgot to mention นางฟ้า married

สายชล on the island. The kidnapping is successful and สายชล gets shot in the belly.

I’m going to stop the narration and just do the rating. Or it’ll be too long.

I’ll give เกมร้าย เกมรัก 3 1/2 stars out of 5. After about 6 weeks I’m only about a 1/3

of the way through the story and would like to start a new one. But I can’t seem

to tear myself away from this story. I’m ashamed to say I may be addicted to soaps.

The characters are all pretty good actors and there are lots of funny scenes along with

the soapy drama scenes. Sometimes I even stay up past my bedtime to find what will

happen next. It is entertaining and a good language learning tool, according to me.

Beats the heck out of Aesop.

What is it about the first show(เธอกับเขาและรักของเรา) that you don't like? Is it because of the inconsistency in the script and mismatch of numbers? What do you think of the story otherwise?

I think it's a very interesting and memorable way to learn Thai because it engages more than 2 senses. I'll try to contribute too in the future if I can just get my pronunciation right. Thank you for your contribution.