Airbus Superjumbo Makes Asia Debut In Singapore

george

Airbus superjumbo makes Asia debut in Singapore

SINGAPORE: -- The Airbus superjumbo A380 arrived in Singapore Friday in its first test flight outside Europe, kicking off a three-nation Southeast Asian tour. Thai Airways International has options to purchase the plane, but it will not come to Thailand on this trip.

The world's largest passenger plane touched down at 10 a.m. local time after departing from Toulouse, France, taxied around Changi Airport and docked at a special gate at Terminal 2.

Airbus chiefs hope a smooth tour will ease concerns over delivery days and trigger more sales in the region, that is also being targeted by U.S. rival Boeing.

Boeing's Worldliner jet set a new record for the longest non-stop passenger airline flight completing a trek of more than 20,000 kilometres from Hong Kong to London while the A380 was en route to Singapore. The Boeing flight touched down at London's Heathrow Airport after 22 hours and 42 minutes.

Singapore Airlines (SIA), which has ordered 10 of the Airbus mega jets, is set to be the first carrier to operate the aircraft. It will receive its first plane in November 2006, six months behind schedule.

Airbus has indicated its willingness to compensate some airlines for late deliveries, including SIA.

Only crew members were aboard the maiden Airbus flight to Singapore. Transport Minister Yeo Cheow Tong and other special guests were scheduled to be given a tour.

The one-day visit left too little time for baggage, cargo-loading and other tests by the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) and SIA.

The double decker was previously scheduled to arrive on Tuesday, but was delayed by engine problems.

Extensive airport compatibility tests will be carried out when the plane returns early next year.

"There will be ample opportunities for airport compatibility testing," an Airbus spokesman said.

The A380, which seats 555 passengers, claims it will give operators at least 20 per cent cost savings over Boeing's 747 jets.

The Jet was scheduled to leave Friday night to arrive in Australia for Qantas' 85th birthday bash. It will make a stop in Malaysia on November 17.

Airbus is 80 per cent owned by EADS, which is based in Paris and Munich, and 20 per cent by British BAE Systems.

--DPA 2005-11-11

The double decker was previously scheduled to arrive on Tuesday, but was delayed by engine problems.

Growing pains?

The A380, which seats 555 passengers, claims it will give operators at least 20 per cent cost savings over Boeing's 747 jets.

Not exactly fair comparing old technology 747 to an A380. More fair would be against the 777-300 which has the same passenger capacity as the 747 but uses 30% less fuel and a range capacity of more then 13,000km.

Not exactly  fair comparing old technology 747 to an A380.  More fair would be against the 777-300 which has the same passenger capacity as the 747 but uses 30% less fuel and a range capacity of more then 13,000km.

I love the comfort of the 777 but the Jumbos are just "sexier". The the 777 is also reaching its design limits, where the 380 can be streched to carry up to 1000 in all economy configuration.

cv

I love the comfort of the 777 but the Jumbos are just "sexier". The the 777 is also reaching its design limits, where the 380 can be streched to carry up to 1000 in all economy configuration.

Can you imagine the check-in times for 1000 passengers + luggage? Boarding and unboarding could be a headache.

Can you imagine the check-in times for 1000 passengers + luggage? Boarding and unboarding could be a headache.

A couple beers and I'd have a real challenge finding my seat again. :o

cv

singapore , aus , malaysia.

how come its not stopping off to say hello at thailands  (the hub of s.e.asian aviation)  new airport.

are they miffed ? , you bet they are.

Maybe if the airport had actually been finished on time they would have found time to stop in???? :o

Then again maybe they felt the danger due to the crack(s) (do they exist or not) in the runway made the risk to great to chance a landing at the new airport??? :D

singapore , aus , malaysia.

how come its not stopping off to say hello at thailands  (the hub of s.e.asian aviation)  new airport.

are they miffed ? , you bet they are.

Maybe if the airport had actually been finished on time they would have found time to stop in???? :o

Then again maybe they felt the danger due to the crack(s) (do they exist or not) in the runway made the risk to great to chance a landing at the new airport??? :D

:D:D

Boeing's Worldliner jet set a new record for the longest non-stop passenger airline flight completing a trek of more than 20,000 kilometres from Hong Kong to London while the A380 was en route to Singapore. The Boeing flight touched down at London's Heathrow Airport after 22 hours and 42 minutes.

22 hours and 42 minutes!!!!! No way would I want to be stuck in a plane that long 10 hours is bad enough! I think Boeing have got it wrong this time and Airbus have the lead on this one. I would much prefer cheaper air travel with the same current travel times over the convenience of longer non-stop flights.

22 hours and 42 minutes!!!!! No way would I want to be stuck in a plane that long 10 hours is bad enough! I think Boeing have got it wrong this time and Airbus have the lead on this one. I would much prefer cheaper air travel with the same current travel times over the convenience of longer non-stop flights.

22 hours and 42 minutes!!!!!  No way would I want to be stuck in a plane that long 10 hours is bad enough!  I think Boeing have got it wrong this time and Airbus have the lead on this one.  I would much prefer cheaper air travel with the same current travel times over the convenience of longer non-stop flights.

As I understand it, the Boeing 777-200LR is meant to compete with the Airbus A340-500, which is of course already in service with such carriers as Thai Airways, BKK-LAX, BKK-JFL, direct, non-stop, ~ 17-ish hours, and Singapore Airlines, SIN-LAX, SIN-EWR, direct, non-stop, again, 17-ish hours. I'm far from an avaiation expert but my understanding is that these aircraft directly compete as they have roughly the same service characteristics, and are meant for a bit of a niche market.

The A380 is, as I understand it, targted at high-capacity routes now serviced by multiple 747'es. Think NRT, SIN, SYD, LHR, FRA, JFK, LAX, so city-pair routes which carriers currently fly 2 or 3 wide-bodies daily, and where there may be gate limitations (LHR) which will restrict the natural growth in forecasted air travel.

In the time leading up to the 747 launch (late 1960's) most people thought Boeing were mad to build such a big plane. Obviously they were wrong, and the 747 is arguably one of the most successful products ever manufactured, as measured in gross product revenue. My gut tells me the 380 is too big, it will take too long to check in, board, de-plane, load bags, refuel, cater. Most airports require significant refit to accomodate it. The ensuing liability in the remote case of a catastrophic loss will be staggering. But my gut is often wrong, and guess what, those same things were said about the 747.

It'll be a real bear that's for sure!... Add in check-in at immigrations, customs clearing all that luggage and all those passengers... most airports will be swamped by the load... :o

You can always wile away a bit of time on some of these interior features, such as an on-board duty free shop...

343429253.jpg

anyone for popping open a nice chilled bottle of Bombay gin at a great price promotion?

:party:

and perhaps take the Bombay with a bucket of ice with a chilly bottle of tonic water and some freshly sliced beautiful Thai limes and relax a bit in one of the

on-board lounges?

381425314.jpg

:party: party:

What a plane in the sky it is!

t20013012RenderingAirbusA380.jpg

where the 380 can be streched to carry up to 1000 in all economy configuration.

I bet that would be fun...NOT!!!!

I'll stick to economy in Thai, where at least you get a decent sized seat (had an economy flight in one of Emirates new planes last month, awful).

With a bit of privacy, I could easily see doing a 20 hour flight with the missus on something like this...

Whoa:::  :D  :D:o

20hours.jpg

:D  :D

now.... I wonder what the price for a transpacific flight at this level of accomadation will be??

:D

120,000 miles (UA miles for a Star Alliance first class award) and about 150 USD in taxes and fees. I'll probably try for an award on an SQ/A380 in late 2006.

NH (All Nippon Airways) is the best first class I've flown. Their new style FC seat is awesome, as is the service. I have very limited FC experience; I've only flown NH, UA, TG, SQ & LH FC, some paid, mostly awards, but on NH I actually wanted the flights (NRT-JFK-NRT) to last a bit longer!

With a bit of privacy, I could easily see doing a 20 hour flight with the missus on something like this...

Whoa:::  :D  :D :D

20hours.jpg

:D  :D

now.... I wonder what the price for a transpacific flight at this level of accomadation will be??

120,000 miles (UA miles for a Star Alliance first class award) and about 150 USD in taxes and fees. I'll probably try for an award on an SQ/A380 in late 2006.

NH (All Nippon Airways) is the best first class I've flown. Their new style FC seat is awesome, as is the service. I have very limited FC experience; I've only flown NH, UA, TG, SQ & LH FC, some paid, mostly awards, but on NH I actually wanted the flights (NRT-JFK-NRT) to last a bit longer!

Me and the GF are flying from Manchester UK to Kuala Lumpur with Singapore, then making our own way through Malaysia ending up in Bkk a month later to fly back from there to Manchester with Singapore again.

Cost,

Economy for both of us, £1040. :burp:

Business for both, £10.000, :D

First Class for both, £18.000, :o

I know whhich one I'd like to take but, I know which one I will be.....!!!!! :D

redrus

Non-Stop is the way to go - fk having two stops which I currently have. People like convenience and no hassle over having to deboard/board a few times. As long as the bar keeps open - people will be happy!!! :D

BTW - if you think flights will be cheaper on a380 - forget it, obviously you don't know airlines too well. :o

Whoa:::  :D 

20hours.jpg

Me and the GF are flying from Manchester UK to Kuala Lumpur with Singapore, then making our own way through Malaysia ending up in Bkk a month later to fly back from there to Manchester with Singapore again.

Cost,

Economy for both of us, £1040.

Business for both, £10.000

redrus

18,000 pounds = 1,288,791.49 baht... same as a pretty decent car or even a small, modest house in Thailand... :D

and that's not even on for the "suite" above on the A380, right?

Also, just heard the news report saying Sing. Air has 25 of these giants on order.. can imagine the crowd when 3 of these arrive simultaneously??

http://intsvc.aspwb.com/contents/F/newseat.html

Is this it?

Whoa:::  :D 

20hours.jpg

Cost,

Economy for both of us, £1040.

Business for both, £10.000

redrus

18,000 pounds = 1,288,791.49 baht... same as a pretty decent car or even a small, modest house in Thailand... :D

and that's not even on for the "suite" above on the A380, right?

Also, just heard the news report saying Sing. Air has 25 of these giants on order.. can imagine the crowd when 3 of these arrive simultaneously??

Won't even be on A380, It'll be 747 as A380's won't be in service till Nov 06. We fly over in March.

Economy is cool on Sing though, I'll not grumble. :D

redrus

I don't see why loading an A380 should take any longer than, as we currently do, loading 2 747-400s at adjacent gates ?

And I certainly expect the laws of supply-and-demand to triumph over certain airlines' desire to cut costs by 20% while maintaining seat-prices.

Especially given Emirates' massive order for these super-jumbos, and evident desire to under-cut the direct-flight merchants, in exchange for a 60-90 minute change of plane , in the Gulf.

Anyone for cut-price (ie not LHR-T3 or BKK King-Power) duty-free ? ! :o

Bring on the new planes :D

Edited by Ricardo

Non-Stop is the way to go - fk having two stops which I currently have. People like convenience and no hassle over having to deboard/board a few times. As long as the bar keeps open - people will be happy!!!  :o

Where do you fly from that needs 2 stops?

And I certainly expect the laws of supply-and-demand to triumph over certain airlines' desire to cut costs by 20% while maintaining seat-prices.

Especially given Emirates' massive order for these super-jumbos, and evident desire to under-cut the direct-flight merchants, in exchange for a 60-90 minute change of plane , in the Gulf.

Even an amateur like me can see economics behind the non-stop long haul routes.

LHR-SYD with 747-400 carries 17 crew members that fly one hop every 3 days (that's what I was told in my aviation days).

If, say, BA, goes 7 times a week to SYD, they would always have 34 people staying in BKK and SYD for 2 days before going the next leg.

If my simple attmpt in maths is that simple, and the crew stays at home in London, that would mean 128 crew members staying in hotels and on per diems in BKK and SYD. That would be 150US$ per head per day, 19200US$ just to accommodate the crew.

A non-stop flight would half that, unless some Trade Union rules have emerged in response to non-stop long flights. (like extra pilots and crew on board).

Olympic Airways, in their struggle to survive, cut off their ATH-BKK-SYD route, the planes always full and often waitlisted.

If I am correct or close to it, 10K in savings per flight is a lot, Ryan Air could be making half of that, per flight.

At the airports who have changed to accomadate the A380 it should actually load faster than a fully booked 747 as each level will have its own jetwalks where on the 747 everyone boards on the main level.

As for the boutiques and shops on the A380s, I'll believe it when I see it. Boeing made the same suggestions about the upper decks of the 747 back in the 60s. It took the bean counters at the airlines about a nanosecond to realise that filling it with seats was a much better revenue producer.

cv

Non-Stop is the way to go - fk having two stops which I currently have. People like convenience and no hassle over having to deboard/board a few times. As long as the bar keeps open - people will be happy!!!  :o

Based in Wash DC - example next flight... DC - Chicago, Chicago-Bejing, Bejing-BKK. :D

Based in Wash DC - example next flight... DC - Chicago, Chicago-Bejing, Bejing-BKK. :D

Think you can do DC - NYC - Bkk now that Thai has A340-500s flying from NYC non-stop.

cv

At the airports who have changed to accomadate the A380 it should actually load faster than a fully booked 747 as each level will have its own jetwalks where on the 747 everyone boards on the main level.

As for the boutiques and shops on the A380s, I'll believe it when I see it. Boeing made the same suggestions about the upper decks of the 747 back in the 60s. It took the bean counters at the airlines about a nanosecond to realise that filling it with seats was a much better revenue producer.

cv

Sheesh... thanks a lot dream-smasher... :o

I was so looking forward to those Bombay Gin parties ... :D

Based in Wash DC - example next flight... DC - Chicago, Chicago-Bejing, Bejing-BKK.  :o

Think you can do DC - NYC - Bkk now that Thai has A340-500s flying from NYC non-stop.

Or DC - NRT - BKK on ANA with B777 so you can fly the entire route on one airline (therefore cheaper than flying multiple airlines, I believe). At NYC not only will you change the airline but most probably the airport too (eg. La Guardia to JFK).