School System Lets Our Young Talent Die On The Vine

Lite Beer

EDITORIAL

School system lets our young talent die on the vine

The Nation

As tablet scheme shows, politicians are the problem more than teachers

During his visit to The Nation's editorial department last week, Education Minister Woravat Auapinyakul offered some on-the-spot analysis of the challenges facing him and Thailand's education system as a whole. The biggest problem, he said, is that Thai children do not have a chance to show, develop and nurture their talents until they have almost entered adulthood. There may be some exceptions, but, by and large, society lacks the personnel, equipment and mechanism to spot talented kids and help them bloom.

Woravat was talking about something that has existed so long it has ceased to be recognised as a problem. As far as talent development goes, it's as if Thailand has been on auto-pilot. Once in a while, there will be Thai kids who win international maths or physics "Olympics" and make the Kingdom proud, but that's it. The maths and physics geniuses are discovered in spite of our education system, not because of it.

Many factors contribute to this situation. Teachers, naturally, bear the brunt of the blame. The logic is simple: If teachers are no good at, say, physics, how can they become aware of a physics talent who may be sitting at the back of the classroom, looking bored? Most talent needs discovering and nurturing. Only the greatest shine against all odds. The rest are in danger of wilting away after some time.

Teacher quality is always a priority question. But then again, for a ministry employing over 500,000 personnel, just why it lacks a good talent-spotting and development system is a puzzle. Reform is needed for the long-term future. Immediate measures are also important in order to prevent Thai talent buried in classrooms across the country from withering before it can even bloom.

Woravat envisions enlisting help from real experts, who are currently blocked by some bureaucratic rules from teaching young students. It's an irony that, in a country where teacher quality is always a focus of complaints, not everyone can go into the classroom and lend the teachers a helping hand. This, he says, must change. Students need help from proficient practitioners who can equip them with working skills and pinpoint their talent. The Government Teacher and Educational Personnel Act must first ease up on restrictions preventing the children access to the knowledge of professionals.

That seems to be a good idea. But teachers' quality and other problems plaguing Thailand's education have their roots in politics. In times of political peace, the ministry is often considered a corruption zone. In times of political turmoil, it - like other government agencies - suffers a severe lack of continuity. Since Thaksin Shinawatra became prime minister in 2001, about 10 politicians have taken turns at the helm of the Ministry of Education. Policies have been changed, disrupted and cancelled. Efficiency is the last thing that we can expect from this vast, all-important agency.

Despite his ambition and vision, Woravat himself does not look like a minister whose place in the Cabinet is rock-solid, should a reshuffle occur. The Pheu Thai Party's real patriarch, Thaksin, is known as a chop-and-change political leader. Whether the Education Ministry will once again pay the price for a Cabinet shake-up remains to be seen, but nobody dares rule out the possibility.

Woravat made it clear that the hyped-up election promise to give free computer tablets to underprivileged children would be implemented selectively, depending on the readiness of children, teachers and their schools. It looks like the tablet scheme will join the list of Pheu Thai policies to be scaled down with various new conditions thrown in. But if the tablet promise is a political gimmick, the "talent" issue that Woravat so strongly emphasised must not be. Tablets may help to unearth new talents, granted, but what will be the point of that if our education mechanisms aren't ready for them?

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-09

Cut the class sizes for a start <deleted>. How any student can receive the individual attention, educational development and nurturing they deserve in classes with 50 plus kids is beyond me. Education here at all levels for the vast majority is a sad joke and these young people are being sold well short.

Edited by mca

"It's an irony that, in a country where teacher quality is always a focus of complaints......." that teachers are excluded from the B15,000 starting salary for uni graduates that is a policy of this government.

Perhaps the Minister could discuss that issue, and the implication that an improvement in teacher quality, and hence education, is not what PTP wants.

Where would PTP be if the population was educated enough to look beyond self-interest and consider what is good for the nation.

Edited by OzMick

The last thing the current status quo needs in Thailand is an educated population capable of critical thought and analysis. Until that changes, educating the masses will end in tears and bloodshed.

An educated populace is a dangerous populace.

Cut the class sizes for a start <deleted>. How any student can receive the individual attention, educational development and nurturing they deserve in classes with 50 plus kids is beyond me. Education here at all levels for the vast majority is a sad joke and these young people are being sold well short.

Let the students fail would be a good start....jap.gif

Let the students fail would be a good start....jap.gif

Let them fail, so that the learn they MUST work to get something done.

Next put in place mechanisms to let ALL children bloom,

AND give extra pathways to the extra able children to advance at their won rates.

The idea of promotion and success in life based on merit and achievement is a dangerous concept to introduce into a country where nepotism and cronyism dictate advancement in life.

If thai people started to believe anything to the contrary you'll see a lot of very disappointed and angry people.

The idea of promotion and success in life based on merit and achievement is a dangerous concept to introduce into a country where nepotism and cronyism dictate advancement in life.

If thai people started to believe anything to the contrary you'll see a lot of very disappointed and angry people.

And more than a couple of worried politicians, plus anyone in a uniform in fact.

Put all the resources you have in primary school and send them all back there to get the foundation on which to build a knowledge-nation. I mean, seriously - the longer students are in the current system the worse they are, so if the universities have to be converted into primary schools then that would be a positive thing in itself: You know it makes sense.

Thailand's kids are already taught everything they need at primary school.

- Lining up in neat rows

-Singing "Songs of Praise"

- knowing which color to shirt to wear for the appropriate day of the week

What else is to know krab?

Of course, the connection also needs to be made: if the teachers make peanuts salaries, why would anyone who had the mental skill and experience to be a physics talent, much less recognise a physics talent (as in the article) even consider being a teacher? Thailand is not the only country that makes this mistake. Pay your teachers little, watch your country wither.

I've met Thai nationality English teachers here who would struggle to order a coffee in English, far less teach the language.

The progency of the rich and well connected don't attend these schools. So there's no problem. In the absence of any meaningful public pressure to change this, nothing will change.

Of course, the connection also needs to be made: if the teachers make peanuts salaries, why would anyone who had the mental skill and experience to be a physics talent, much less recognise a physics talent (as in the article) even consider being a teacher? Thailand is not the only country that makes this mistake. Pay your teachers little, watch your country wither.

It's not always true that they're making a 'peanuts salary'. The one I'm working with is the head of the English department, but she couldn't order a meal at Mc Donald's in English. She's on 59,600 baht/ month. jap.gif

It's not always true that they're making a 'peanuts salary'. The one I'm working with is the head of the English department, but she couldn't order a meal at Mc Donald's in English. She's on 59,600 baht/ month. jap.gif

my friend is a unqualified teacher ,hired by a school because hes a white european and his job is to stand outside when parents are dropping off their children so they can see a farang in a suit and the school will have a bigger face :whistling:

the kids play games and run riot ,he doesnt even try to teach them anymore AND THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO FAIL BECAUSE ITS An EXPENSIVE SCHOOL and theyre parents would be upset about the fees for the next term if their child didnt pass every test :rolleyes:

if he failed them ,he would get fired anyway and someone new would take his job so he just goes in for the sake of appearance ,opens his laptop and watches dvds ,these young people are the future of thailand and more than likely will have the best positions and promotions available when they are old since their parents are already in these positions now

this is how they get the qualifictions !

for an adminstator heading a department, that is peanuts

my friend is a unqualified teacher ,hired by a school because hes a white european and his job is to stand outside when parents are dropping off their children so they can see a farang in a suit and the school will have a bigger face :whistling:

the kids play games and run riot ,he doesnt even try to teach them anymore AND THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO FAIL BECAUSE ITS An EXPENSIVE SCHOOL and theyre parents would be upset about the fees for the next term if their child didnt pass every test :rolleyes:

if he failed them ,he would get fired anyway and someone new would take his job so he just goes in for the sake of appearance ,opens his laptop and watches dvds ,these young people are the future of thailand and more than likely will have the best positions and promotions available when they are old since their parents are already in these positions now

so what is your point? that your "friend" is an utter fraud and a thief with little self esteem or pride, who does not even try to make good on his salary?

I know a fellow who is in the same situation, and while i do not like him, i can say that he has worked overtime to ensure that he needn't wish he could fail his children by ensuring they know the material they are supposed to know. He too is "unqualified" in the sense he has no teaching degree or tefl cert but still manages to use his DVD player as an educational tool to garner interest from his unruly students and ensure they actually do learn something.

you hold up this example of your friend as a condemnation of the Thai educational system. All i see is an example of a cynical parasite blighting an already heavily flawed system.

so what is your point? that your "friend" is an utter fraud and a thief with little self esteem or pride, who does not even try to make good on his salary?

I know a fellow who is in the same situation, and while i do not like him, i can say that he has worked overtime to ensure that he needn't wish he could fail his children by ensuring they know the material they are supposed to know. He too is "unqualified" in the sense he has no teaching degree or tefl cert but still manages to use his DVD player as an educational tool to garner interest from his unruly students and ensure they actually do learn something.

you hold up this example of your friend as a condemnation of the Thai educational system. All i see is an example of a cynical parasite blighting an already heavily flawed system.

he tried to teach them at the start and gave up,he said at the start nobody would pass his english class who didnt do the work

the school doesnt want to change "the way things are " and the "current system" and hes been told that by the headmaster when he complained had discipline issues in his class when some kids were dancing on tables (they also PASSED) :D

his job there is basically to take the money ,smile at the parents and just shut up ....!

no rocking of the boat is wanted or will be tolerated :rolleyes:

I've met Thai nationality English teachers here who would struggle to order a coffee in English, far less teach the language.

The progency of the rich and well connected don't attend these schools. So there's no problem. In the absence of any meaningful public pressure to change this, nothing will change.

I only know one teacher out of 7 schools, who can hold a conversation in English.

There's only one problem with this forum: the other side isn't present so it's just preaching to the converted - unfortunately.

The other side are fully aware of the "problem", but do not see it as a problem. Their kids are at Eaton/ Charterhouse/ Imperial Coolege/ Harvard / MIT etc.

The only problem is the interference of liberal western commentators who don't understand "Thai culture" and the necessity to perpetuate blind obedience, under the guise of education, to maintain the status quo.

The concept of promotion and success in life based on merit and achievement is a radical concept for a country where nepotism and sycophancy dominate career advancement – a situation neatly illustrated by the expression,

'Do you know who my father is!'.

Edited by GazR

Just a small point regarding teaching qualifications. A degree and TEFL certificate (known as a non-stick frying pan certificate in the trade) does not make you a qualified teacher either, here in Thailand or in Western countries. A qualified teacher holds a teaching license (obtainable here after sitting four separate examinations). Degrees are supposed to confirm that you have the knowledge to pass on to a student but, not necessarily the knowledge of how to pass it on. Graduating in medical science gives you a degree but does not make you a doctor!! Many Westerners calling themselves teachers are completely unqualified hence, they spend their working day watching DVD's when, perhaps they could try studying child physiology using the same laptop and an on line course. Then, they might just understand the art of education!