Decent Roads To Ride Bike On

monty1412

Looking for some decent roads within hour or so of Bangkok to take the bike on.. do they exist... of course a nice curvy hilly well constructed road like what we get out at Mt Glorius in Brisbane or Mt Dendenomg in melbourne would be ideal but also i may be dreaming or in the wrong place.

Any suggestions of whee the roads might allow for a bit more enjoyment than Sukhumvit at peak hour ???

Chers

Monty

first you have to say, where is your location.

I am located in Bangkapi

for me ist the smoothest way to go North east to Khao Yai

for kanchanburi or too the south I have to cross Bangkok with 1 to 2 hours and this is very stupid.

Find the Prachinburi entrance to Khao Yai on google maps. The route there is pretty nice, go down Ramkhamhaeng road all the way until it ends and make a right, then make a left to Nong Chok.

You'll be hit by a lot of trees all of a sudden, keep going down that road until it ends and make a left (things will turn REALLY green), at your first intersection where there are shop houses to your right, turn here and this is the way to Khao Yai...after this i forget, but it gets nicer and nicer....no mountains or hills until Khao Yai though.

If you do happen to make it to Khao Yai, take the road that goes around Khao Yai after exiting the Pak Chong side gate. This ride is more beautiful then actually being in Khao Yai. You can see weather patterns developing from within the park as they roll over the ridge of the mountain line.

It will take you about 2.5 hours to get there from Bangkapi. Probably 3-3.5 hours your first time.

Edited by KRS1

If you do happen to make it to Khao Yai, take the road that goes around Khao Yai after exiting the Pak Chong side gate. This ride is more beautiful then actually being in Khao Yai. You can see weather patterns developing from within the park as they roll over the ridge of the mountain line.

Agreed! Anyone know whether this area has been hit by the flooding?

Find the Prachinburi entrance to Khao Yai on google maps. The route there is pretty nice, go down Ramkhamhaeng road all the way until it ends and make a right, then make a left to Nong Chok.

You'll be hit by a lot of trees all of a sudden, keep going down that road until it ends and make a left (things will turn REALLY green), at your first intersection where there are shop houses to your right, turn here and this is the way to Khao Yai...after this i forget, but it gets nicer and nicer....no mountains or hills until Khao Yai though.

It will take you about 2.5 hours to get there from Bangkapi. Probably 3-3.5 hours your first time.

Ok you've got me salivating.. thanks so much for this brilliant info. Will try weather permitting this weekend..

whats makes it even more an adventure is the new girl Im dating.. only had two platonic dates thus far and she loves riding bikes.. unusual for thai girl methinks ... so as soon as i get the cbr400RR she can have the CRb250 R and then after a ride like this followed by a nice dinner and a glass or three of rouge vin and Honda womt be the only thing ridden that day.

Of course not the sole motivation for my request but would be lying to say hadn't thought about it.

Of course will do it solo first ( the ride Im talking about) so I am seemingly all knowing and wise..... ha

thanks again

hi ho hi ho its off to google I go.

cheers

Monty

I am located in Bangkapi

for kanchanburi or too the south I have to cross Bangkok with 1 to 2 hours and this is very stupid.

point taken Im in Klong Toei so the cross Bangkok option is not a good one unless I desire more sukhumvit experiences.

Being in Klong Toey makes it easier to head south but that's mostly straight highway. For KhaoYai, as posted earlier, take the Ramkhamhaeng route.

CL53, there are numerous resorts around the north boundary of the park. I'm sure you can find some good trip reports on GT-Rider.

I am located in Bangkapi

point taken Im in Klong Toei so the cross Bangkok option is not a good one unless I desire more sukhumvit experiences.

I'm in Klong Toey.

Going east Straight down 71 and Ramkamheang to get out of town.

Going west? Taksin bridge then Ratchapruek.

Going south. Least stress? if there is one. Rama 3 and over Krung Thep bridge or down Sukhumvit to Bang Na, turn left towards the river and take the ferry to Prapadeang then ride to Suksawat. Early morning and feeling "adventurous" down Rama 3 to "Industrial Ring" and over the two bridges to Suksawat. Then Rama 2

then after a ride like this followed by a nice dinner and a glass or three of rouge vin and Honda womt be the only thing ridden that day.

I'm getting a bit pragmatic in my advancing years. Go to the massage palour on Friday evening or Saturday to get that out of your system, or do the diner, wine thing if you must. Then go solo on the bike on Saturday or Sunday. This will be infinitely more fun and cheaper than lending her the bike, after you have bought her all the gear, waiting for her to keep up etc.. There are a few good female rider but they are in the minority.

I know we've all done it or something equally as asinine so just trying to pass on some accumulated wisdom.

Edited by VocalNeal

I'm in Klong Toey.

Going east Straight down 71 and Ramkamheang to get out of town.

Going west? Taksin bridge then Ratchapruek.

Going south. Least stress? if there is one. Rama 3 and over Krung Thep bridge or down Sukhumvit to Bang Na, turn left towards the river and take the ferry to Prapadeang then ride to Suksawat. Early morning and feeling "adventurous" down Rama 3 to "Industrial Ring" and over the two bridges to Suksawat. Then Rama 2

I'd recommend Asoke and New Petchburi over using the pretty nasty Soi 71 if going from Klong Toey.

Don't bother with Krung Thep bridge or the ferry if going south. Be 'adventurous' and use the large bridge from Rama III to Suksawat called Bhumipol Bridge or Saphan Wong Wan. Technically, bikes aren't allowed on here but they use it all the time. Police road blocks are rare and it saves a huge amount of time over the ferry or using other bridges.

Ok you've got me salivating.. thanks so much for this brilliant info. Will try weather permitting this weekend..

whats makes it even more an adventure is the new girl Im dating.. only had two platonic dates thus far and she loves riding bikes.. unusual for thai girl methinks ... so as soon as i get the cbr400RR she can have the CRb250 R and then after a ride like this followed by a nice dinner and a glass or three of rouge vin and Honda womt be the only thing ridden that day.

Of course not the sole motivation for my request but would be lying to say hadn't thought about it.

Of course will do it solo first ( the ride Im talking about) so I am seemingly all knowing and wise..... ha

thanks again

hi ho hi ho its off to google I go.

cheers

Monty

Just wanted to clarify that, the ride around Khao Yai eventually leads to the downslope of the Korat plateau, parts of this leg of the journey are downhill with stepped ruts from 10 wheels trucks, dangerous for a female newb. When you finally get off the plateau and have to turn and go right to get back to BKK, find the road that kinda reconnects back to your original route. You really dont want to take 304 all the way back to BKK, its a long monotonous boring ride filled with 10 wheeled trucks.

From the Pak Chong gate and going around Khao Yai and back to BKK travelling at 120-140 after you get off the plateau, the entire ride from the PakChong gate will take you approx 8 hours if you stay on 304.

Your girlfriend will hate you.

P.S. What are the roads like around there? Busy, bumpy etc?

Once you're off Ramkamhaeng and onto the 304 it's smooth sailing. Of course with all the rain I imagine some roads will be in poor condition. The road through Khao Yai is generally in good repair but you have to beware of elephant poop and other debris on the surface. The road to Wang Nam Kiao has a few sketchy bits, but is mostly good. The condition of the 304 down the mountain from Wang Nam Kiao is always changing. Lots of heavy trucks tear it up, they fix it and on and on it goes.

Here's a little vid of a section through Khao Yai-

Ride On!

Tony