When Does A Car Start Losing Hp?

shariq607

I have looked on several websites and they say 4hp per year with good care But if 4 hp per year was really the case then wouldn't all the classic cars in the world have 0 hp by now??

also does loss of hp differs between manufacturers? lets say between a toyota and a ford or it all depends on how individuals use it?

and How much hp would a fortuner or pajero sport lose in 2 years of its usage ?

My car, which I bought new 10 years ago, is still as smooth and as willing as it was when it was new. It has covered 110,000 km with regular service by the dealer. Yes, I know that any loss of power could go unnoticed because of familiarity but it will still perform as it did 10 years ago.

In carb motors HP can increase with wear. Bigger clearances reduce friction and helps a motor spin. :)

With injection stuff not sure cos it's controlled but for sure freeing stuff up makes HP.

They say an engine is at it's peak just moments before it hand-grenades !!

In carb motors HP can increase with wear. Bigger clearances reduce friction and helps a motor spin. :)

With injection stuff not sure cos it's controlled but for sure freeing stuff up makes HP.

That's about right. Ever listen to the serge in power from a nitro burning funny car right before it disintegrates? Those engines are built so loose a mouse could run up and down the cylinders.smile.gif

Using the estimate of loosing 4hp per year... I am in deep doo doo.... 30 years old toyota diesel, therefore I have a loss of 240hp?

...the thing only had 80 ponies when it was new.

It has now done about 500 000km and only had the tappits adjusted and the injectors replaced, even now it still pulls like a schoolboy. :rolleyes:

As others have said; the power loss will be dependant on many things... driving style and maintainance being the two most critical.

Those that did loose 4hp per year in reality, proberly expired a long time ago. (old Fords and BMCs)

That's about right. Ever listen to the serge in power from a nitro burning funny car right before it disintegrates? Those engines are built so loose a mouse could run up and down the cylinders.smile.gif

For sure. My old Pontiac was built and had NOS but could not break the 10 second drag run. THEN l read about 10 second stock racers, all about big clearances. :o

For sure. My old Pontiac was built and had NOS but could not break the 10 second drag run. THEN l read about 10 second stock racers, all about big clearances. :o

what is he talking about .he must be bored to death . next he will be asking when his washing machine needs a re bore job . give me a break . james

what is he talking about .he must be bored to death . next he will be asking when his washing machine needs a re bore job . give me a break . james

Perhaps you can explain with your technical experience. Always willing to learn. :D

horse power of the engine or complete drive train?

I have worked on 250 Mile toyotas, run like a charm, and 15k mile cars that couldnt pull a pin out of a grenade

the loss of EFFICIENCY of a vehicle is determined by wear. wear is determined by age, distance travelled and maintainance, plus...luck regarding breakdowns.

the 100 km engine which as had regular 10k oil changes and been nurtured SHOULD be more efficient than the oe abuses, with a aowrn clutch and gearbox

Yep all the top racing programs build their engines that way and there in lies the trick of finding how far is tolerable without going past it and expiring engines..

Yep all the top racing programs build their engines that way and there in lies the trick of finding how far is tolerable without going past it and expiring engines..

In a nut shell. Thanks Waps for the perfect wording. :)

In a nut shell. Thanks Waps for the perfect wording. :)

Or something to that effect :D ...

I saw a brilliant episode of the British show Top Gear where they found the cheapest UK new car and set the challenge of buying the best second-hand one they could for the same money 7000pounds. A bit silly really, but great to watch. One present got a Mercedes coupe CLK with a V12 engine, the other got a BMW 850, both were tested and the Mercedes had lost 1hp per year, they discovered. Another presenter was the voice of reason, pointing out that anyone who tried the same would end up 'bankrupt and living in a skip'! but it was a great show.