Investment Advice Needed

Are there any investment brokers in Thailand that I can use to invest in mutual funds? Alternatively, are there any online brokers who do this? (I rent a house here & I don't have a home outside Thailand so providing proof of address is an issue)?

Also, is it possible to buy gold coins such as krugerrands in Thailand? I've heard that these are easier to sell than gold bars.

Thanks

If you are looking for a great and very safe investment, with regular pay-outs, all investment in London England, Litigation Funding is right for you. If you would like to know more about this investment vehicle, feel free to contact me. Probably the safest investment in the world. guaranteed min 12% per annum..

Is it Thai mutual funds you want to invest in, or overseas? If the former, then most of the banks have a modest range of funds available. Otherwise use an Internet broker such as Internaxx www.internaxx.com

Proof of address can be a problem, but a letter from your embassy confirming your address plus a certified copy of your passport is usually enough.

Yes, gold coins are more easily traded than bars. I don't know about buying them in Thailand. I do recall, though that a gold ETF has just been launched in Thailand, and I believe it's backed by physical gold. That would be a good proxy, and means you don't have to worry about storing the gold. (Of course, there are plenty of other gold ETFs available elsewhere in the world which would be equally good.)

The majority of gold coins bought for investment worldwide are 1oz which makes them easier to trade than the majority of gold bars which are in much larger sizes and therefore much higher unit value.

Foreign gold coins and bars are very expensive when you can ever find them in Thailand. Thai gold bars are excellent for trading (96.4% bear in mind, not 99.99%) and can be bought in 1baht (1/2oz), 2baht (1oz) and 5baht form. The buy/sell spread is minimal on these and the 5baht bars don't attract the manufacturing premium (I think around 3%) which is charged on Thai jewellery and the small bars, which is where the gold shops make their margin.

Similarly foreign coins and small bars (mini-bars anyone??) in sizes less than 1oz also have higher manufacturing premiums, as a percentage of the price, which is a negligible percentage of the larger coins and bars, i.e. essentially it costs the same to make a small coin or bar as it does a large one.If you are buying to hold as an investment, which is something I would recommend to anyone (personal opinion, I am not an investment advisor or in any way connected with the gold business), and you want to have it in your hands at the end of the day, buy only physical gold. If you find you are accumulating more physical gold than you are comfortable holding, www.goldmoney.com and www.thebullionvault.com have good buying programs with very low premiums and are regarded as the most reputable of their kind. They also avoid the storage problem; personally I am wary of safety deposit boxes here, TIT!

I would recommend that you use the various gold ETF's only for short term trading, which is not the same as long term investment, as you might suddenly find yourself holding only a bit of paper at the end of the day, not physical gold.

If you want to pursue gold (and silver) further try www.caseyresearch.com and click to receive their free 'Ed Steer's Gold and Silver Daily' which has a lot of in-depth information and a lot of useful links.

Good luck.

If you are looking for a great and very safe investment, with regular pay-outs, all investment in London England, Litigation Funding is right for you. If you would like to know more about this investment vehicle, feel free to contact me. Probably the safest investment in the world. guaranteed min 12% per annum..

...and then one lives happily ever after :whistling:

Mr Roger Mellie "The man on the Tele" You seem to have lots of Wonga and you dont know how to deal with it, curious and curiouser. I would be very careful who you speak too and dont take decisions quickly, HSBC might be a safe option, or a Manager at a Thai Bank, speak to them and then go away and consider. You have what you have, but for how long?

Sounds wonderful... :ermm:

Edited by mikegy

No need to do further homework mate! By now your inbox should be flooded with various well meaning financial "advisors" - hoping to turn your money into fat trails and commissions for them! :) All of them will have financial licences from Malaysia, Indonesia, Cypress and other similar well established financial centers - and will have the right to do marketing here of lots of wonderful products like that arbitration fund mentioned - and much more! ;)

Cheers!

because a "great and safe investment" yielding 12% p.a. nowadays is a wonderful fairy tale :lol:

because a "great and safe investment" yielding 12% p.a. nowadays is a wonderful fairy tale :lol:

Ah, the new hub of fairy tales :rolleyes:

Oh ye of little faith!

It seems OK to me. It's obviously backed by one of the world's largest beer companies seeing as it's "probably the safest investment in the world".

:lol:

Back to happydays; www.firstrade.com are another reliable US online broker with low dealing costs. They handle mutual funds too but Internaax are excellent, with a wider choice of markets, and are based outside the US if that's one of your considerations.

First some responses to the 'advice' given to you already:

About litigation funds- avoid any exotic product from investment 'advisers' based in Thailand- anyone who has access to to a 12% return would not be reading or posting on sites like this :-)

HSBC mutual funds have very high fees- i know i just researched into them- i am a HSBC premier customer and was shocked to see HSBC funds charging on average 5% management fees PER YEAR! And this is excluding upfront fees.Best bet for mutual funds is vanguard, fidelity etc in the US (can do it via online).

You can buy gold coins in Thailand but there is a hefty mark up -so not a good investment.

If i was you id open up a stock trading account - in HSBC Singapore for asia (or any online broker for the US) and put you money into blue chip companies- they are at a low point now- but will get a big bounce when EU announces its trillion dollar bailout funds and bank rescue scheme in coming days.

First some responses to the 'advice' given to you already:

About litigation funds- avoid any exotic product from investment 'advisers' based in Thailand- anyone who has access to to a 12% return would not be reading or posting on sites like this :-)

HSBC mutual funds have very high fees- i know i just researched into them- i am a HSBC premier customer and was shocked to see HSBC funds charging on average 5% management fees PER YEAR! And this is excluding upfront fees.Best bet for mutual funds is vanguard, fidelity etc in the US (can do it via online).

You can buy gold coins in Thailand but there is a hefty mark up -so not a good investment.

If i was you id open up a stock trading account - in HSBC Singapore for asia (or any online broker for the US) and put you money into blue chip companies- they are at a low point now- but will get a big bounce when EU announces its trillion dollar bailout funds and bank rescue scheme in coming days.

Thanks for your comments ExpatJ.

I firmly believe that "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is" so no 12% return funds for me.

Spoke to a gold shop who can order 5 Baht weight gold bars at the current price (you pay 50% deposit & the balance on delivery). I wouldn't put all my money into gold but it is an insurance policy if the banking system collapses (after a Greek default for example).

I would like to invest long term in blue chips paying decent dividends so I will have a look at the online brokers you mentioned.

Cheers

Spoke to a gold shop who can order 5 Baht weight gold bars at the current price (you pay 50% deposit & the balance on delivery).

I wouldn't be certain that buying Thai gold is necessarily a good idea. It's not of the same purity and composition as western gold bars and coins. If you had to leave Thailand for the west with your gold bars you would probably find it rather difficult to sell them.

Spoke to a gold shop who can order 5 Baht weight gold bars at the current price (you pay 50% deposit & the balance on delivery).

I wouldn't be certain that buying Thai gold is necessarily a good idea. It's not of the same purity and composition as western gold bars and coins. If you had to leave Thailand for the west with your gold bars you would probably find it rather difficult to sell them.

Thai gold is 96.5% as opposed to 99.99% for foreign investment grade coins and bars but is priced accordingly and is widely recognised and accepted in other countries now. It is not difficult to sell in the West and is becoming popular with overseas buyers because of it's very low premium.

The last several weeks are the first time I have seen a shortage of bullion bars (1, 2, & 5 baht bars) in Bangkok. There has been a dip in the gold price and Thais are taking full advantage of it to buy.

If happydays can buy at today's price with a 50% deposit he is getting a very good deal IMHO. Good to see he has decided to diversify and not put all his money onto any single investment, and thankfully is not chasing 12% returns.

To return to the original question, there are several local brokerages an asset management companies typically associated with banks who can help you with - Bualuang Securities and Bualuang Asset Management are associated with Bangkok Bank. Start by going to a BBL branch with your passport and another photo ID (or work permit if you have it) and they will open a mutual fund account for which ever funds you want - you can set up internet banking and then just trade these funds online. At this time of year you might want to consider the tax deductions available from the Long Term Funds if this suits your time horizon and risk appetite.

Thai gold is 96.5% as opposed to 99.99% for foreign investment grade coins and bars but is priced accordingly and is widely recognised and accepted in other countries now. It is not difficult to sell in the West and is becoming popular with overseas buyers because of it's very low premium.

nearly impossible to sell in the "West" without suffering a considerable loss, but acceptable without problems in most Asian countries.

I am assuming the OP is British and you are looking for companies that pay you a good return, might I suggest 2 for you to look at.

1. Nichols plc. They produce "Vimto" amongst other things, price at the moment about 540p and then look at the dividend, keeeps creeping up, nice little earner.

2. Restaurant Group plc. Garfunkels, Frankie and Bennies and more, lots of concessions at airports, cinema complex's, shopping malls, I think about 275p now look at the divdend, keeps creeping up.

Both on the LSE look for NICL and TRG.

No regrets at the price I bought them at and those divis drop in twice a year, very nice indeed.