Free Sms Via Gmail. Works With Dtac And Truemove

happysanook

That's awesome info., thanks..

Just tried my missus Dtac number though and it didn't work what am I doing wrong?

Says it can't verify her number as a valid number.. Clearly it is.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Just tried my missus Dtac number though and it didn't work what am I doing wrong?

assuming you enabled in labs...

i put the number in as "+66 088 018 ####" and it automatically converted it (took out the first 0), save contact box came up, entered a name and clicked save, then entered a message in the message box.

i tried both dtac and truemove and they came through instantly...

Edited by happysanook

assuming you enabled in labs...

i put the number in as "+66 088 018 ####" and it automatically converted it (took out the first 0), save contact box came up, entered a name and clicked save, then entered a message in the message box.

i tried both dtac and truemove and they came through instantly...

I did most of that but I had nothing to change in my features it came right up but when I went through the menu and posted my SMS to send, it failed and said it didn't recognize the number as a legitimate number or something to that effect, so it didn't send and that's quite frustrating once time is spent publishing and I did it twice :angry: ..

It occurs to me now that there must be some setting I need to change I'm not aware of as my account is stateside but obviously the number is Thai though it displayed everything in the right language etc. acknowledging it was a Thailand destination..

I used it myself several times yesterday. From gmail to dtac or true can take a few minutes. If the recipient replies, the replies appears almost immediately in gmail chat window.

The first time a message is sent there's a second SMS with it that explains in Thai that you can reply to it and that you can block this sender by sending "BLOCK". So if your phone is not compatible with Thai, you won't be able to read that. But you still can read the sender's message.

Note that you should format the number like +66 8XXXXXXXX and not 08XXXXXXXX (Gmail needs to know which country this number is from).

The easiest is to have your contacts in Gmail up to date with phone numbers formatted as such.

For those who have android phones, it should already be like that since android uses gmail to backup your phone contacts.

You start with 50 credits. Every time you send a message it is decreased by 1.

Every time someone replies it is increased by 5 (to a maximum of 50).

If you reach 0, you'll get 1 free credit within 24h or you can just send a SMS to yourself and reply to it (getting 5 SMS credited, for the price of 1 SMS from your operator).

It's particularly interesting for people who don't have unlimited SMS but whose contacts have.

I did most of that but I had nothing to change in my features it came right up but when I went through the menu and posted my SMS to send, it failed and said it didn't recognize the number as a legitimate number or something to that effect, so it didn't send and that's quite frustrating once time is spent publishing and I did it twice :angry: ..

It occurs to me now that there must be some setting I need to change I'm not aware of as my account is stateside but obviously the number is Thai though it displayed everything in the right language etc. acknowledging it was a Thailand destination..

i assume you're not putting the 011 in front of it, that you've enabled SMS in labs... if all of those are correct and thailand is selected as the destination country, i don't know what else it could be...

i just tested it again and it worked with both carriers..tested with AIS and got a similar message to you "Your message was not delivered. +66 81024### is on a mobile carrier that is not supported at this time."

are you certain it's dtac/true move?

to DTAC;

did not receive your SMS

to TRUE;

recd an SMS but message is in Thai and phone does not support the Thai language

there will be a message in thai the first time (as mentioned above)...the SMS you entered should of been sent as well though. hmmm...

Edited by happysanook

Supported mobile operators

Below is a list of supported mobile operators for SMS Chat in Gmail

• Afghanistan
    Afghan Wireless Communication Company
  • Algeria
    Nedjma
  • Angola
    Unitel
  • Bahrain
    Viva
    Zain
  • Cameroon
    MTN
    Orange
  • Côte d'Ivoire
    Orange
  • Ghana
    Airtel
    Tigo
  • Indonesia
    Indosat
    Telkomsel
    Tri
  • Iraq
    Zain
  • Israel
    orange
    Pelephone
  • Jordan
    Zain
  • Kazakhstan
    Kcell
  • Kenya
    Airtel
    orange
    Safaricom
  • Kuwait
    Wataniya
    Zain
  • Liberia
    Cellcom
  • Malawi
    Airtel
    TNM
  • Maldives
    Wataniya
  • Mozambique
    Vodacom
  • Nigeria
    Glo
    Starcomms
  • Palestinian Territories
    Jawwal
    Wataniya Mobile
  • Philippines
    Globe
    SMART
    Sun Cellular
  • Saudi Arabia
    Mobily
    STC
    Zain
  • Senegal
    orange
    Tigo
  • Sri Lanka
    Dialog
    Mobitel
  • Tanzania
    Vodacom
    Tigo
  • Thailand
    dtac
    True Move
  • Tunisia
    Tunisiana
  • Uganda
    Orange
    MTN
    Uganda Telecom
  • United States
    All operators
  • Uzbekistan
    Ucell
  • Zambia
    Airtel
    MTN
    Zamtel

I would guess it is only for those places that do not charge to receive an SMS on your phone

No, because the USA carriers charge to receive an SMS, and the USA is on the list.

• 4 months later...

Not working for me. I have a truemove-h SIM. It says, and I quote "Your message was not delivered. +66 8XXXXXXXXX is on a mobile carrier that is not supported at this time."

The X's are added by me btw :) don't say "the number is the wrong length, because I haven't even counted how many X's I just pasted in.

The number is valid, it is working, it is receiving messages, I tried it 4 times ..... same error every time

Anyone else having luck with a truemove-h SIM using this feature? Perhaps it doesn't yet just work with them?

^DTAC and TrueMove are supposedly supported, no mention of TrueMove H. I wouldn't expect it to work with TrueMove H.

I originated an SMS from within GMail sent to my DTAC number +668nnnnnnnn, it arrived on my phone in less than 10 seconds. I did get both my original SMS and the second SMS in Thai (which I used Android SMS Translate on). I replied to the original SMS, this reply showed up in my GMail in box in ~ 2 minutes.

SMSes, on DTAC anyway, are received from 42662088, and reply SMSes are of course sent to that number where the SMS <-> email gateway picks out the GMail address and forwards it on. Presumably Google has or contracts for the gateways here in Thailand, or pays DTAC for access to their gateway.

For anyone who's tested TrueMove can you share the number showing as the number the SMS was sent from?

I tried this a couple of months ago and it didn't work. Now I just tried it again and it worked great. Using True. BTW, I tried to determine the maximum SMS length by cutting and pasting text into the box. Apparently 433 characters counting spaces is the max, and that used up 3 SMS credits but came over as 1 long SMS.

While admittedly not available for all mobile platforms, and requiring internet access (2G/3G/WiFi), free messaging applications like WhatsApp and Line might be of use to some for long-distance SMS replacement.

http://www.whatsapp.com/

http://line.naver.jp/en/

There may be others.

WhatsApp is pretty easy to use, and you can send/xfer photos, videos, audio, location quite easily. I've been using it for ~ 6 months.

Yeah, I love whatsapp, but it only sends to other whatsapp users. Lots of people (BB users in particular) can't seem to get it working. Also sometimes I'm working on my Macbook rather than iPhone.....

And sometimes I really just wanna send an SMS, not "chat message".

Thanks for the tip about naver.jp - will try it out - they have Mac + PC version as well .....

Yeah, I love whatsapp, but it only sends to other whatsapp users. Lots of people (BB users in particular) can't seem to get it working. Also sometimes I'm working on my Macbook rather than iPhone.....

And sometimes I really just wanna send an SMS, not "chat message".

Thanks for the tip about naver.jp - will try it out - they have Mac + PC version as well .....

There are paid SMS services, with delivery to any global provider, and you can originate a 'real' SMS from any platform; I use an Outlook plug-in.

Telemessage is just one of these SMS providers: http://www1.telemessage.com/