Internet Has Been Slow To Servers Outside Thailand

4evermaat

I used to get my full download speed using http protocol to seedboxone (which I believe is in UK). But the last 5 days, speeds have been 150kb. I also did a couple of other speed tests from other servers and confirmed that speeds are indeed slower than normal.

yet when I do the speedtest to tot and truemove test servers, I get the 9/0.5 Mb speeds.

I have 9Mb down and "1" Mb up (I cannot seem to convince ToT to make it "1Mb") and I stay about 15 km from Chumphon Town.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Is there certain things I can isolate to see if it is ToT or something on my end? I switched from google DNS to ToT, but no change. I also restart the modem. Maybe I should leave it off for a few min?

Edited by 4evermaat

Yep. On 3BB here, speeds have been capped at 120kb/s during 'peak hours', which basically means at all times from 10 am to midnight. I've called them and that's their reasoning anyway. Time to play the not paying game again.

All good for me in Lak Si Bangkok and Mahachai Samut Sakhon.

3BB, True (BKK) and TOT (SS Prov)

I just did a quick test here, and our 3BB, TOT, Sophon, CAT, and True connections are working without issues outside of Thailand.

So your actual download speeds can be maxed out or close to maxing out? The 150 KB/s thing did appear to be a ISP cap. I always get 940-1020KB/s at all hours of the day with TOT. This is something very recent they must have done (first noticed it on Sunday of this week). But why? Landline capping? It cannot be that serious.

Yep. On 3BB here, speeds have been capped at 120kb/s during 'peak hours', which basically means at all times from 10 am to midnight. I've called them and that's their reasoning anyway. Time to play the not paying game again.

All good for me in Lak Si Bangkok and Mahachai Samut Sakhon.

3BB, True (BKK) and TOT (SS Prov)

I just did a quick test here, and our 3BB, TOT, Sophon, CAT, and True connections are working without issues outside of Thailand.

So your actual download speeds can be maxed out or close to maxing out? The 150 KB/s thing did appear to be a ISP cap. I always get 940-1020KB/s at all hours of the day with TOT. This is something very recent they must have done (first noticed it on Sunday of this week). But why? Landline capping? It cannot be that serious.

Actual testing confirms that my 8 Mbit line still has the capability to download at that speed (from local Thai sites). All international downloads (so basically, all downloads) are virtually capped at around 100 kb/s. This does appear to be a recent development as my download speeds went from 900 kb/s to 100 kb/s virtually overnight, with the use of a download accelerator. I only noticed the change shortly after I came back from vacation about 4 weeks ago.

Like I mentioned above, they don't listen to your words, only your money. I've shown my dissatisfaction by not paying in the past here, especially with ISPs, and it really is the only thing that can force any change from their end. Get their managers involved, make a lot of ruckus, etc. The aim of the ISP customer service here is to keep you as a paying customer using a sub-par service by feeding you platitudes and trying to shove you in wrong direction in regards to where the problem lies.

Edit - And another note, do not trust the online 'speed' tests. For the most part, they're pretty much all rigged at this point, at least from 3BB.

Edited by dttk0009

How can i check if TRUE is having nameserver problems?

Temporarily load Google's (or anyone else's) DNS server addresses: 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4.

A couple years ago I found that 3BB's nameservers would screw up so often that I left the OpenDNS nameservers loaded permanently. Then, I read about how using a local nameserver can sometimes resolve to a server in a closer location, so I now only revert to an alternate DNS server address when I suspect a problem with 3BB's.

I don't know if this exact example is valid, but the idea is that if I use the 3BB nameservers, it can resolve Google or Microsoft to a closeby mirror site in, for example, Singapore or Thailand rather than the more distant USA location. The Google DNS servers, of course, would resove to the server in, or closest to, the USA. I'd be happy to hear whether this "logic" is actually valid!