Supporting Clients Remotely

MrSpadMan

Hello,

I am moving to CM in 3 weeks. I own a software business and plan to support my customers remotely using Skype and remote access software. I do a couple of things: send software back and forth, and directly connect to their computers to patch things, occasionally do development work. The files I upload/download are generally under 10mb.

So I read with interest postings about internet speed, connection problems, internet down, etc.

Has anyone out there done this sort of thing in CM and what solutions have they come up with? Is the internet fast enough in your apartment / guest house or must you go to an internet cafe?

Here's what I've concluded from the various posts: True internet is the best, dongles are slow. I don't intend to have a cell or iPhone.

What are the fastest internet cafes?

Thanks all.

I work in a similar field - it's fast enough to upload print and web design files so you should have no problem with software development files. We have two lines setup in our office TOT and TRUE so if one drops out we have another as a backup. You're right - TRUE is the best, TOT is slow and crap most of the time.

It's probably not the best but what I can vouch for is CAT CDMA. A rock steady 500Kbps minimum. No problems at all with Skype or file transfers of the size you're talking about, and it works everywhere (outside of Bangkok, that is).

But yeah, I'm going for TRUE over cable, docsis3 is no joke. Then again, probably everybody else is too, so we all show up at the party and you know the first thing that happens in that case is that the host runs out of beer.

Internet Cafe's MUST be Games on Santitham Road near Huey Gow.... last night 2am I had 15Mb Down and 3Mb Up.... WOW for here in CMai.

Busy times u can reduce by huge amount- so what times we talking for support. Plus plenty of ST action all down the road- Lol. When need to relax.

Cheers Jay

It's probably not the best but what I can vouch for is CAT CDMA. A rock steady 500Kbps minimum. No problems at all with Skype or file transfers of the size you're talking about, and it works everywhere (outside of Bangkok, that is).

But yeah, I'm going for TRUE over cable, docsis3 is no joke. Then again, probably everybody else is too, so we all show up at the party and you know the first thing that happens in that case is that the host runs out of beer.

Not rock steady for me. CAT CDMA seems to depend on how close the tower is and how many users on a particular tower.

Where I am located AIS 3G worked much faster than CAT CDMA. However, AIS 3G had file downloading problems at the tower closest to me.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

Not rock steady for me. CAT CDMA seems to depend on how close the tower is and how many users on a particular tower.

Where I am located AIS 3G worked much faster than CAT CDMA. However, AIS 3G had file downloading problems at the tower closest to me.

MSPain

I probably should have stated that all my use has been in Chiang Mai, and at three locations within only.

I guess a lot depends on how quickly the OP plans to get settled.

Another thing to consider: CAT will let you try out the service for a day to see whether or not the signal is satisfactory from your intended location of access.

More of my experience with CAT CDMA, and it is just experience, not a complaint.

When I first purchased the service I was getting 1.5 mbps about 25 kilometers from Chiang Mai on the road past Mae Jo. The most I ever got at my house 7 kilometers south of Chiang Mai was approximately 500 kbps. About 1 ot 2 months after purchase the speed 25 kilometers north of Chiang Mai went down to 200-300 kbps and has been that way ever since. 7 kilometers south of Chiang Mai I can get just under 500 kbps on good days with average about 400 kbps.

I still have CAT CDMA and use it as my backup and when we go to my wife's parents house. I get faster upload speeds than download. Upload is just under 600 kbps.

MSPain

If you're going to live here use 3BB Premier. It's something like 2875bt/month. I use screen sharing software like Teamview w/ minimal lag and have no problem transferring files. iirc I usually can transfer a 10MB file via skype in less than 10 minutes. Skype calls are usually perfect. I have the 3G also and have found skype choppy the few times I've used it for a call. I think if you depend on the guest house/condo internet connection it's going to be inconsistent at best.

Yeah, guest house/condo connections are crap at best. Either somebody is saturating upstream with their five-hundred torrents running, or the guest house/condo has installed draconian software on their access points/router to as all but make the connection useless.

I should add that EDGE over AIS can be marginally acceptable too. In Bangkok a few years ago I was able to do Skype over this (not Skype-out though) and the quality was surprisingly good. Basic browsing and email are all very doable. I don't think I'd want to upload 10Mb files with it, but with the right software, I could see it working as a leave-it-on-overnight sort of deal.

And again, it's low up-front investment, and indeed, one you're going to be making anyways just to get the cellphone to work.

I have 3bb (6mbps - but usually 4mbps - but it always works) at my house and also have Truemove H on my iPhone which can tether to computers as a backup... The new Truemove H (5-6 mbps -but I think my iPhone model is limited to 5.72mbps) is fast here in downtown CM but in other areas that might not be the case...

Also realize that ALL the cellular based systems have a fair use policy...

Also Also Has anyone heard of a person working on the internet being caught by immigration?... Just don't try singing in a bar :whistling:

Edited by sfokevin

Thanks to all for your considerate replies.

I am also wondering about the dangers of working in internet cafes as mentioned above. Anyone?

Where does one get the CAT CDMA? Airport Plaza? Since I'm supporting clients in the U.S., I'd be on in the middle of the night so this may be ok.

You can get CAT CDMA at their office in Airport Plaza, but then send you to Pantip for the trial modem. Doesn't make a lot of sense but there it is. Your next question is: can I just get the CAT CDMA at Pantip and save a trip, and I honestly don't know but I think not, because it isn't exactly an official CAT outlet you're going to at Pantip.

Oh, and unless you're lugging along your own wifi router, I'd highly recommend going with the mifi option. A little more expensive, but if you've got smart phones or tablets, it makes life quite a bit simpler.

You can get CAT CDMA at their office in Airport Plaza, but then send you to Pantip for the trial modem. Doesn't make a lot of sense but there it is. Your next question is: can I just get the CAT CDMA at Pantip and save a trip, and I honestly don't know but I think not, because it isn't exactly an official CAT outlet you're going to at Pantip.

Oh, and unless you're lugging along your own wifi router, I'd highly recommend going with the mifi option. A little more expensive, but if you've got smart phones or tablets, it makes life quite a bit simpler.

When you go the CAT CDMA route, all you need is the device that plugs into your USB port, yes?

Roughly what is the cost (can't seem to find it online) of the device and all accoutrements (if any)?

Thanks....

Edited by MrSpadMan

Fortunately you can, or at least could, get everything done at the CAT shop in Pantip. Might be worth noting that they used to have a couple of totally clueless

women working there before, and some more clued in male engineers who dropped by more on occasion. If you already know what you want, no problem dealing with the

women only I expect.

Roughly what is the cost (can't seem to find it online) of the device and all accoutrements (if any)?

Thanks....

Here let me Google "CAT CDMA" for you...

http://www.catcdma.com/en/prepaid-packet.rhtml

http://www.catcdma.com/en/postpaid-internet.rhtml

http://www.catcdma.com/en/product.rhtml

BTW... If I were you I'd go with Truemove H...

This is my speed at my house inside the moat I have the 599 baht FreeSize Plan

photo.jpg?psid=1

Edited by sfokevin

Thanks....

Here let me Google "CAT CDMA" for you...

http://www.catcdma.c...id-packet.rhtml

http://www.catcdma.c...-internet.rhtml

http://www.catcdma.c...n/product.rhtml

BTW... If I were you I'd go with Truemove H...

This is my speed at my house inside the moat I have the 599 baht FreeSize Plan

photo.jpg?psid=1

Great how those google searches work. However, I was looking for the cost of the device.

Edited by MrSpadMan