Thai Floods To Last Four To Six Weeks More: Govt

webfact

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you crazy without electricity everyone has to leave. Here they leave the power on until the electricity meter is reached by water. There was plenty of advice on electricity given here in the village (not far from BKK and we are flooded now) Electricity is still on and as you see internet too. But houses are flooded.

Errr ok...... I somehow have this mental image of you typing away on your computer, with your feet in water that is gently lapping near the electrical outlets. Sorry to hear you are flooded, hope it all works out ok..

Was just watching the Thai news. Ten more people have died from electrocution. Water and electricity are a deadly combo..... Be careful..

The " fault" of this flood is not the current government , although the response has been a bit bumbling. The true fault lies with ALL the governments of the last 50 years, who have failed the Thai people causing death and destruction.

Flood projects tend to be multi year very expensive projects that in essence continue past the governments that started them. So not easy to continue skimming money from them. ALL the past governments seem to like quickie contracts buying useless stuff ( aircraft carrier, fire trucks, submarines, etc) , pocket the 20% , and move onto the next project. This is an issue of the failure of the government itself, not the current holder of the office. The current administration is simply first in line at the feeding trough. Sad sad sad.....

The anger of the Thai people should cross the line of shirt colors, and be directed at all the " leaders", whoops I mean the pigs at the front of the feeding trough.

Good post Eyes. Good to see some broader views posted.

What is really surprising to me is that so many people cannot seem to understand this, they are much happier using it as an excuse to attack the incumbent administration. But perhaps they do understand this but ignore the fact in order to keep up the anti Yingluck furore.

Posts about food are very relevant right now. Live and work in Pathum Thani, Thanyaburi area. Last night the local 7/11 and Lotus were closed. This morning 7/11 is closed (and is staying closed). THe Tesco was open but had NO FOOD. NOT ONE EGG, PACK OF NOODLES, CHICKEN LEG, PORK CUT, FISH, LOAF OF BREAD, BAG OF RICE, VEGETABLE OR ITEM OF FRUIT!

All the markets that sell fruit, meat and veg have gone. I found one small shop with some noodles and bought about 20 packs! I hate noodles! My wife was talking to the owner who said the problem is that nearly all of the factories that are producing the food have closed!

When BKK decided to let the northern districts take the brunt they forgot that small detail (flooding of food supply).

If this is gonna last 4-6 weeks people could actually start to starve. Funny thing is our village is almost completely dry.

I beleive it hasn't quite hit BKK fully yet but take it from me..just north of you it is now a crisis and these same factories supply most of your food.

Manageed to get some beer though. Last few bottles in the shop. There is a god!

No-one can blame the Yingluck Administration for the flooding. However, their response to the flooding has not been particularly well organized and, more importantly, they seem to have a great deal of difficulty communicating with the people as to what to expect and what the current situation is.

I doubt is Governor Sukhumband is doing a much better job organizing things, but if you compare his public announcements with those coming from FROC, he says clearly what he knows and doesn't know and states what areas will be affected and when (when that information is available). Yingluck and FROC could use his announcements as a good example!

Finally, they should just send the Science Minister back to the Zoo. It would save them the trouble of having to retract his statements on an almost daily basis.<_<

As for the fact that the flood situation was worsened by the large amount of water retained by the dams this year, I would like to remind people of this quote (attributed to Napolean) : "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence".:whistling:

There were perfectly logical reasons for retaining that water: 1. If the rainy season ended early, they would be blamed when there wasn't enough water to alleviate the subsequent drought. 2. Everyone wanted to cash in on the rice pledging program and releasing the water would have pissed off some powerful local land owners as their fields would have been ruined. On the horns of such a dilemma, what would the average bureaucrat do? Nothing!

Talking about zoo, I wonder what kind of preparation they have planned in advance for the animals held captive. News of crocodiles or alliagators, snakes, bugs been swept along with the flood has hit the shore. We don't need news of tiger or lions running out of the zoo. :blink:

It should be crystal clear by now that Thailand is a country where water management is a balancing act requiring expertise that is lacking at this point in time. Climate change will continue to make the sitaution all the more problematic in the future. This is what the government needs to address as soon as possible.

When BKK decided to let the northern districts take the brunt they forgot that small detail (flooding of food supply).

My Lord. BKK didn't decide anything - the water after it was released did as the northern parts are first encountered on its way south.

Posts about food are very relevant right now. Live and work in Pathum Thani, Thanyaburi area. Last night the local 7/11 and Lotus were closed. This morning 7/11 is closed (and is staying closed). THe Tesco was open but had NO FOOD. NOT ONE EGG, PACK OF NOODLES, CHICKEN LEG, PORK CUT, FISH, LOAF OF BREAD, BAG OF RICE, VEGETABLE OR ITEM OF FRUIT!

All the markets that sell fruit, meat and veg have gone. I found one small shop with some noodles and bought about 20 packs! I hate noodles! My wife was talking to the owner who said the problem is that nearly all of the factories that are producing the food have closed!

If this is gonna last 4-6 weeks people could actually start to starve. Funny thing is our village is almost completely dry.

I beleive it hasn't quite hit BKK fully yet but take it from me..just north of you it is now a crisis and these same factories supply most of your food.

Not sure how much is left, but a friend posted to me a few hours ago that Big C, Future Park Rangsit is open and they have a lot of milk, fruits and vegetables, snacks and water available. She did say that items such as Mama noodles, and most dry goods are sold out. May want to try there. All the best.

It is well to remember that this flood is a fifty-year weather event in Thailand. Few countries can afford to build sufficiently against fifty year events.

Where is the rainfall data to back up the 'fifty year' weather event you mention? If you have scientific rainfall data, please share, thanks. I looked, and the best I could find was rainfall numbers for Thailand from 2008, 2009, 2010, and nothing for this year. Each of those previous 3 years had 'greater than average' rainfall numbers ranging from 2 to 11%.

My guess is that, dramatics aside, the rainfall for this year is not exceptionally high. I'm open to be proven wrong. Show me the data.

I know this doesn't help you, but it might help bkk people:

Lotus On-nut had many fresh products available Saturday evening. Dairy, eggs, meat, fish, some vegetables and fruit. No rice, water and noodles though.

Today (Sunday) I was at the Emporium, and the supermarket there is fully stocked - haven't seen one empty shelf. They even have canned tuna, rice, granola, pasta.

Edited by soomak

Talking about zoo, I wonder what kind of preparation they have planned in advance for the animals held captive. News of crocodiles or alliagators, snakes, bugs been swept along with the flood has hit the shore. We don't need news of tiger or lions running out of the zoo. :blink:

Maybe they have already raided the zoo to obtain the staff and hydrology advisors for the CROC ... ooops sorry I mean FROC.

:crazy:

No-one can blame the Yingluck Administration for the flooding. However, their response to the flooding has not been particularly well organized and, more importantly, they seem to have a great deal of difficulty communicating with the people as to what to expect and what the current situation is.

I

I disagree. No one can blame Yingluck for the rain, but the flooding, most of it could have been averted, perhaps all. She just set her priorities wrong.

True this was a rainier than usual year, but that was because rainy season started in early March this year, rather than late May or early June as is the norm. It is the AUGUST rains that is the source of most of this flooding.

Last year 1 1/2 years of drought abruptly ended in late July and it turned out to a normal year for rain (but it camr in a very short period). It is not the volume of rain over the course of the rainy season that matters most it is the amount that falls in a short period of time that matters. Actually this administration has been relatively blessed by the late season rains. Here in chiang Mai, everytime we got a significant rainfall over the course of a few days we'd get a 3-4 day respite to follow it. Some years you get 2 weeks straight. This wasn't one of those years.

I was talking with an older Thai person today, he said that the flooding is partly a result of building the new airport (suvernabhum) on an area that was meant for excess water storage. Is he right, or is he talking about this with a anti-Thaksin flavour as Taksin was the one who had built it?

I was talking with an older Thai person today, he said that the flooding is partly a result of building the new airport (suvernabhum) on an area that was meant for excess water storage. Is he right, or is he talking about this with a anti-Thaksin flavour as Taksin was the one who had built it?

Do a Google on "Monkey Cheeks Thai King"|

It is well to remember that this flood is a fifty-year weather event in Thailand. Few countries can afford to build sufficiently against fifty year events.

Where is the rainfall data to back up the 'fifty year' weather event you mention? If you have scientific rainfall data, please share, thanks. I looked, and the best I could find was rainfall numbers for Thailand from 2008, 2009, 2010, and nothing for this year. Each of those previous 3 years had 'greater than average' rainfall numbers ranging from 2 to 11%.

My guess is that, dramatics aside, the rainfall for this year is not exceptionally high. I'm open to be proven wrong. Show me the data.

3 intense tropical storms in quick succession.

Research your data.

Thai government's never learn their lesson. This will all blow over in a few months and once again, no money will be put into flood management because that would require forward thinking, not just money spent.

In Australia and most other developed countries (developing even!) would do something as simple as turn off the power in area's affected by flooding to prevent death. I know when I worked for Powercor (Electricity DB) in Australia, it was and still is law to do so. Again, this is common sense I sure how anyone who has lost loved ones a) Walks into a pile of cash and B) Spends said cash on a very good lawyer.

I usually don't rant but I guess like most of you who have lived here long enough, I'm frustrated!

Plodprasop: BKK Will See 50cm-1m Flooding in All Districts for 1 Month

Science and Technology Minister Plodprasop Surasawadee said Bangkok residents should brace for 50 centimeters-1 meter of flooding in all districts for 1 month. He said electricity and tapwater will still be available while the authorities will provide food and any help needed.

He blamed the impending flooding to inefficient water drainage particularly the closure of floodgates to drain water out into the eastern part of Bangkok.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-10-22

footer_n.gif

This guy sounds like he has at least one more brain cell than the rest of the Government fortune tellers.

What is he basing his prediction on? Tea leaves, facts, or is he just venting political hot air?

Is the 1 month warning for all areas in BKK, or just those adjacent to the Chapharya River and klongs? A map of low and high risk areas would be nice....

These 1 month to 2 month warnings have invoked a state of uncertainty and fear, and makes it impossible to get on with daily lives.

How do you live with all your belongings packed above 1 meter or more?

I hope things get closer to normal quickly....

It should be crystal clear by now that Thailand is a country where water management is a balancing act requiring expertise that is lacking at this point in time. Climate change will continue to make the sitaution all the more problematic in the future. This is what the government needs to address as soon as possible.

Another sensible post... tho' some will say "abstract" or "mis-directing"

If you click around the Thai Meteorological Department website you can find that info: TMD website

Here are the Rainfall figures from March on:

March: higher than its previous highest record during 36 years period and highly above normal in 5 regions i.e. northern part 82.1 mm (334%), central part 93.2 mm (305%), eastern part 61.6 mm (113%), southern part (east coast) 506.6 mm (1005%) and southern part (west coast) 353.7 mm (502%) while it was below normal in northeastern part 14.6 mm (39%).

April: above normal rainfall i.e. northern part 51.7 mm (76%), central part 38.3 mm (51%) and eastern part 40.0 mm (42%) while it were below normal in northeastern part 7.1 mm (8%) southern part (east coast) 9.1 mm (12%) and southern part (west coast) 43.0 mm (27%)

May: above normal in northern part 71.6 mm (41%), northeastern part 18.8 mm (10%) and central part 62.7 mm (39%) while it was inversely below normal in eastern part 42.0 mm (20%), southern part (east coast) 12.7 mm (9%) and southern part (west coast) 47.9 mm (15%)

June: In Southern Thailand, abundant rainfall occurred in some period. Although nearly even distribution of rainfall occurred in the northeastern part and southern part (west coast), those monthly rainfall were 22.7 mm(11%) and 88.6 mm (28%) below normal ,respectively. For the rest of the country, monthly rainfall were inversely above normal in northern part 64.8(43%),central part 27.3 mm (20%), eastern part 5.3 mm(2%) and southern part (east coast) 12.3 mm (11%).

July: above normal in almost areas i.e. northern part 77.1 mm (43%), northeastern part 111.9 mm (54%), central part 62.4 mm (41%), southern part (east coast) 28.0 mm (25%) and southern part (west coast) 9.5 mm (3%) while it was inversely below normal in eastern part 7.5 mm (3%).

August: above normal i.e. northern part 49.2 mm (22%), northeastern part 66.0 mm (26%), central part 27.9 mm (15%), eastern part 22.2 mm (7%), southern part (east coast) 29.4 mm (23%) and southern part (west coast) 57.2 mm (14%).

Sept: above normal rainfall in northern part 97.5 mm (46%), northeastern part 110.3 mm (46%), eastern part 132.7 mm (40%) and southern part (west coast) 6.7 mm (2%). For the rest of the country, monthly rainfalls were inversely below normal in central part 4.1 mm (2%) and southern part (east coast) 21.3 mm (15%).

If you want to wade through all of that, you will see that the rainfall is significantly higher than average, especially in the north and northeast, where we see figures of 25 - 40% higher than average for most of the months above. In comparison, here is a chart showing the deviation above and below average for several decades:

mean_annual_rainfall_normal.gif

This chart actually shows that the 30 year average that we usually base projections on, is quite a bit dryer than previous decades! Also, if the overall rainfall exceeds 25% above normal, this year will be the wettest year in the past 60 years.

If you click around the Thai Meteorological Department website you can find that info: TMD website

March: higher than its previous highest record during 36 years period and highly above normal in 5 regions i.e. northern part 82.1 mm (334%), central part 93.2 mm (305%), eastern part 61.6 mm (113%), southern part (east coast) 506.6 mm (1005%) and southern part (west coast) 353.7 mm (502%) while it was below normal in northeastern part 14.6 mm (39%).

April: above normal rainfall i.e. northern part 51.7 mm (76%), central part 38.3 mm (51%) and eastern part 40.0 mm (42%) while it were below normal in northeastern part 7.1 mm (8%) southern part (east coast) 9.1 mm (12%) and southern part (west coast) 43.0 mm (27%)

May: above normal in northern part 71.6 mm (41%), northeastern part 18.8 mm (10%) and central part 62.7 mm (39%) while it was inversely below normal in eastern part 42.0 mm (20%), southern part (east coast) 12.7 mm (9%) and southern part (west coast) 47.9 mm (15%)

June: In Southern Thailand, abundant rainfall occurred in some period. Although nearly even distribution of rainfall occurred in the northeastern part and southern part (west coast), those monthly rainfall were 22.7 mm(11%) and 88.6 mm (28%) below normal ,respectively. For the rest of the country, monthly rainfall were inversely above normal in northern part 64.8(43%),central part 27.3 mm (20%), eastern part 5.3 mm(2%) and southern part (east coast) 12.3 mm (11%).

July: above normal in almost areas i.e. northern part 77.1 mm (43%), northeastern part 111.9 mm (54%), central part 62.4 mm (41%), southern part (east coast) 28.0 mm (25%) and southern part (west coast) 9.5 mm (3%) while it was inversely below normal in eastern part 7.5 mm (3%).

August: above normal i.e. northern part 49.2 mm (22%), northeastern part 66.0 mm (26%), central part 27.9 mm (15%), eastern part 22.2 mm (7%), southern part (east coast) 29.4 mm (23%) and southern part (west coast) 57.2 mm (14%).

Sept: above normal rainfall in northern part 97.5 mm (46%), northeastern part 110.3 mm (46%), eastern part 132.7 mm (40%) and southern part (west coast) 6.7 mm (2%). For the rest of the country, monthly rainfalls were inversely below normal in central part 4.1 mm (2%) and southern part (east coast) 21.3 mm (15%).

If you want to wade through all of that, you will see that the rainfall is significantly higher than average, especially in the north and northeast, where we see figures of 25 - 40% higher than average for most of the months above. In comparison, here is a chart showing the deviation above and below average for several decades:

This chart actually shows that the 30 year average that we usually base projections on, is quite a bit dryer than previous decades! Also, if the overall rainfall exceeds 25% above normal, this year will be the wettest year in the past 60 years.

Pretty much shows that much more water should have been released much earlier in this dams and catchments. And that 'somebody with authority to do so' was not listening to those who understood these figures true meaning, and no doubt was reporting it to those above.

6 months of well over typical rain, and yet what was done?

The last 2-3 really way over.

Who was in charge?

Who didn't act?

Who didn't even look because to do so would have appeared off message in a giant partisan cockup of an election?

Edited by animatic

Thanks for that.

Interesting and a lot of work.

Thanks for your efforts.

Useful post thank you. I don't think anyone disputes that rainfalls in the N and NE were higher than normal this year, they clearly were. What I contend is that up until the end of July normal watersheds and drainage and containment systems shipped that rainfall relatively well. In other words it was managed and sent to appropriate storage and/or drainage solutions. Always with a mind towards having the greatest capacity in storage for dry season.

However, when the situation changes, responses to it need to change. When August rolled around and rainfalls continued to be above average it was incumbent on the administration or agency to shed water from dams to make room for future rainwater. What they did instead was add more and more rainwater to dams till they reached overcapacity, WHILE higher than average rainfalls continued unabated. We are currently inheriting the outcome of that flawed decision making (or lack thereof) that required dumping of dam water while storms continued to pour down, thus overflowing normal drainage pathways. I'd call it a rookie mistake if so many hundreds of people hadn't died needlessly. Especially when one views what WERE the prioities of this administration throughout August and September..

Edited by serenitynow

Don't worry, says Yingluck:

"The government will oversee the distribution of all consumer goods and ensure that they are sufficient and available for everyone."

don't stockpile goods," Yingluck said.

Posted 2011-10-22 10:55:42

Thai PM warns deadly floods to last weeks more

"Bangkok must open all floodgates to allow the water through," said Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who has invoked a disaster law to take full control of the emergency response.

"So during this long weekend residents should move belongings, cars and other valuable things to places at least one metre (three feet) high," she said in her televised weekly address to the nation.

The other newspaper has a newsflash at 21:34 23/10 with the FROC spokesperson PolGen Phonsathat insisting that FROC never issued a warning for BKK to move things up a meter or so after the Govt. ordered BKK watergates to be opened.

Who to believe, what to believe, choices, choices, headache, headache. Time for a beer, methinks.

Is swamp land not the flood run off area ?

Opps someone built an airport there :) nothing to do with the present PM wonder who is to blame ?

The land for the airport was purchased in 1973.

And then sold to the Government later rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

Is swamp land not the flood run off area ?

Opps someone built an airport there :) nothing to do with the present PM wonder who is to blame ?

The land for the airport was purchased in 1973.

And then sold to the Government later rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

There was a slight interruption on the 14th of October.