Seeking Information: International Schools

ivan96822

I would be interested in gaining insight from any farang teachers currently working at an International School in Bangkok. You may have seen my previous posts, but I am interested in the following:

1. Typical hours per work week.

2. Pay per month ($US or Thai baht)

3. Number of classes and/or number of students.

4. Is there a prep period?

5. Is it an enjoyable work environment?

I would really appreciate some responses. Thank you for your time.

Okay, so apparently, there are not that many International Schools ajarns here in this forum....Plan B.

What about the rest of the farang teachers already in Bangkok? Can you give me some type of insight as to what you may or may not know about the International Schools?

I could "demote" myself, if you will, and work at a school teaching conversational English, but that my be a tough pill to swallow.

Anyways, I am looking forward to a serious discourse/correspondence with those in the know....

Thanks.

I don't think there are too many teachers at the international schools that regularly post on this forum. I really am not in touch with any teachers from international schools any longer. We've had a couple who left our school and went to work for an international school, but they are really two different worlds.

They operate on a different school calendar. They operate under entirely different curriculum and they have a student population which is quite different from most of the teachers here.

They also rarely have the kinds of problems and issues (including job hunting) that the kinds of teachers posting here would have- though they do have other problems (bureaucracy, overwork, and prima donna staff members, from what I hear).

You'd be better off contacting the schools directly, or using the application sites and/or fairs for such jobs to seek more information about them. We're more of a 'local' operation (and those schools- at least publicly- want to be seen as distanced from the likes of us).

I agree with Justwannateach. Check out the school websites.

However I do have experience of the International school circuit.

1) From my experience, 8 - 4 pm. Some schools differ.

2) Pay can range anywhere from 60,000 - 130,000 for a classroom teacher. Being hired from abroad is generally the way to the higher paying position.

3) Full-time positions mean you are a classroom teacher. Thus is just like back home. Class size in International schools are nearly always smaller than in Thai schools. Roughly around 25 children.

4) Prep period? Do you mean a time for teachers to prepare their lessons, mark etc. Or do you mean as in a prep. school.

5) Enjoyable if you like a challenge and are prepared to apply yourself. Most International schools use a curriculum from outside Thailand eg. British, American, ib etc. Knowledge in these curriculums are an advantage and in some cases compulsory.

I agree with Justwannateach. Check out the school websites.

However I do have experience of the International school circuit.

1) From my experience, 8 - 4 pm. Some schools differ.

2) Pay can range anywhere from 60,000 - 130,000 for a classroom teacher. Being hired from abroad is generally the way to the higher paying position.

3) Full-time positions mean you are a classroom teacher. Thus is just like back home. Class size in International schools are nearly always smaller than in Thai schools. Roughly around 25 children.

4) Prep period? Do you mean a time for teachers to prepare their lessons, mark etc. Or do you mean as in a prep. school.

5) Enjoyable if you like a challenge and are prepared to apply yourself. Most International schools use a curriculum from outside Thailand eg. British, American, ib etc. Knowledge in these curriculums are an advantage and in some cases compulsory.

Aridion,

Thanks for the reply. Is your quote of 60,000 - 130,000 per year in USD? Per month in Thai baht? Please clarify.

Regarding prep period, yes, a period of the day where you have no students and are free to make copies, grade papers, etc. How many periods do teachers have at the International Schools (per day, typically)?

I am currently teaching American literature and expository writing to juniors in an American high school, and also teaching British literature and expository writing to seniors. I would be interested in challenging myself with a curriculum outside of Thailand.

Thanks, also, to Scott and IJust for the reply. Please respond to these questions.

The salary figures I mentioned are thai baht per month.

In my experience, you do have prep time, whenever your class are doing another subject that you do not have to be there for. e.g. Thai lessons.

However, it is certainly true that detailed lesson plans are required at international schools.

The salary figures I mentioned are thai baht per month.

In my experience, you do have prep time, whenever your class are doing another subject that you do not have to be there for. e.g. Thai lessons.

However, it is certainly true that detailed lesson plans are required at international schools.

I have no problem making lesson plans. I already do that as a habit as it is. A question, however, that eluded my original posting:

What are their holidays like (typically)? Do they have fall break, winter break, spring break, and summer break? How long for each?

I currently get a week off (ten days, actually) for fall and spring breaks, approximately two weeks off for winter break, and six or seven weeks off in the summer. It would be interesting to know if the International Schools had a similar calendar (though I know the dates most likely differ). Please let me know, Aridion.

Thanks again.

And, before I forget...Do the teachers get paid over the breaks? I currently get paid every fifteen days whether I worked or not.

Also, is there a way to get tenured after a specific probationary period? If so, how long does it take to get to be tenured? How long does probationary status last?

Thanks again.

The Holidays usually co-relate to what holidays you get in your home country. For example, A british International School will have the same holidays as Schools in the UK.

Probationary periods tend to last for 3 months. However as I never had a Probationary period, I cant vouch for this. The best thing is to e mail a few schools and find out.

I can give you my view which is based on a British International school in Bangkok. I am now working at a Brit International in Doha, Qatar and it is more or less identical.

Approximately 3 months of fully paid holidays. However, I was recruited from overseas so 'local hire' contracts may vary.

60-130,000 Thai baht per month is an accurate pay range.

Probationary periods are almost always 3 months although some schools will extend that if there is 'potential' or some other valid reason, such as an extended period off work due to sickness etc.

Brit schools do not have 'tenure' as such. They are inevitably 2 year contracts which are renewable if both agree.

Typical class size would be 22-24 students although I have worked at one that stipulated only 18. (That was a joy) :)

Prep periods..based on a 40 hour week (typical) would be about 14-16 hours.

And, before I forget...Do the teachers get paid over the breaks? I currently get paid every fifteen days whether I worked or not.

Also, is there a way to get tenured after a specific probationary period? If so, how long does it take to get to be tenured? How long does probationary status last?

Thanks again.

Hi Ivan,

I also have been looking into teaching in SEA. Here