Maehia Market Steak Street Vendor

JeffreyMcCollum

Always likeing to try new places to eat, about a week ago we noticed a husband and wife cooking steak on the back of a pick up on canal road as you enter Maehia market.

So tonight we tried it. Big sign, 59 baht. Steak Beef, chicken, pork, or fish. We asked a few questions and were told the fish was 10 baht more in Thai, they could not speak English. They asked here ont the tables set out front ,or take away. We said stay. The meal came with the cooked meat and a BBQ sauce, 5 french fries, and salad with salad cream.

Steak was OK, I could have used more fries, and I don't do salad cream what ever that is ? All in all OK uintil the bill came. Double the expected price and as the sign said. Oh what you ordered cost more ! 120 baht, (more than my usual sit down steak house in the city) With only 4 choices, and told Fish was 69 baht why was anything else more ? And at this point of disagreement thier English became surprisingly very good.

IF you see them and decide to give them a try, the food is OK but make sure first what they are going to charge you

Oh my god!!! What a travesty. :cheesy:

I ordered the 59 baht beef steak and my wife had the 59 baht pork steak. Sign clearly say 59 baht. Was told the fish was 69 and did not order that.

My point is I don't like getting cheated because of my skin color or taken advantage of.

It you go to McDonalds and order the 59 baht big mac you expect to pay 59 baht

if you buy the 25 baht coke at Bic C you expect to pay 25 baht

Not just what ever they feel like at the moment

However blinky if you do like it, maybe we could do business some day

I get the whole principle of it, Jeffrey. I'm on your side if you were ripped off. I hate when someone pulls the two-tiered pricing on me or tries a bait-n-switch.

But I'm still confused here. From what I see, you ordered 2x steak at 59 B each. For me, that means the total would be 118 B. And then he charged you 120 ? A 2 B overcharge ?

Are you saying yours alone was 120 B (plus another 59 B for hers)? I still mai khao jai.

I get the whole principle of it, Jeffrey. I'm on your side if you were ripped off. I hate when someone pulls the two-tiered pricing on me or tries a bait-n-switch.

But I'm still confused here. From what I see, you ordered 2x steak at 59 B each. For me, that means the total would be 118 B. And then he charged you 120 ? A 2 B overcharge ?

Are you saying yours alone was 120 B (plus another 59 B for hers)? I still mai khao jai.

I'd like to know too. I have heralded Thai and farang businesses that are fair and deamonized those that cheat. It's part of what I appreciate about TV.

Edited by venturalaw

Just don't pay it then?

We got overcharged today for something in Samoeng. Realised much later that we paid 100 baht too much. So once home we called, and we're either getting that 100 baht change back, or some extra product. (went for the latter; was an honest mistake, and I appreciate their effort to come bring it all the way to town somewhere this week. ;) )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Yes, 59 baht for hers and 120 for mine 179 total

Oh my god!!! What a travesty. :cheesy:

I ordered the 59 baht beef steak and my wife had the 59 baht pork steak. Sign clearly say 59 baht. Was told the fish was 69 and did not order that.

My point is I don't like getting cheated because of my skin color or taken advantage of.

It you go to McDonalds and order the 59 baht big mac you expect to pay 59 baht

if you buy the 25 baht coke at Bic C you expect to pay 25 baht

Not just what ever they feel like at the moment

However blinky if you do like it, maybe we could do business some day

When you ordered did you say you wanted the 59 baht beef steak and the 59 baht pork steak? Or did you not say the 59 bath when you ordered?

Did the sign say that the potatoes and salad were included in the 59 baht price?

Did the sign say the 59 baht was for take away eat in or both?

I think there is a lot of room for a misunderstanding here without the clear complete information.

Is your wife Thai? What did she think about it all?

Dante, .... you're a card - you should be dealt with. And you forgot to ask what they were wearing, too.

So.... it was 2-tiered pricing then, eh ? Did you ask for any explanation, Jeffrey ? Was your steak noticeably bigger ? If it wasn't and yours was more, I wonder why he wouldn't just hit you both with the deep-pockets penalty as he'd probably assume your pockets are her pockets as well.

Btw, I see a pretty popular steak bus at the corner of Silimang and Huay Kaew, right at the T-Intersection most nights. Always wanted to stop n give it a go.

Edited by realthaideal

Yes, 59 baht for hers and 120 for mine 179 total

How many french fries was your wife served ?

Edited by Semper

Maybe we should turn this to the positive, at least for those of us living close-ish to Sankamphaeng:

There is a nice, small little restaurant there that does steaks and other Western food (Thai interpretation), cheap & cheerful.

When driving towards Sankamphaeng (the actual village area) on the old Sangkamphaeng road, take the soi on the right after passing the post office (post office is also on the right). There's a big telecoms tower there. After turning into the soi, take the first left turn.

http://teawchiangmai...php?topic=793.0 (Menus and price indication included)

post-64232-0-02111800-1319423181_thumb.j

And nicer than eating from a truck parked at the local market. ;) Note: When I say 'Thai interpretation' then I mean that their bread-roll is something you'd find at the local Little Bee bakery, the salad cream is too sweet, the vegetables aren't cooked to pulp, and so on. Still, for what it is, it's a perfectly acceptable lunch, and the Thai food and desserts will likely please the Mrs.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Dante, .... you're a card - you should be dealt with. And you forgot to ask what they were wearing, too.

Thanks RTD. You are right, what they were wearing is important in Thailand and does influence how they would be treated.

I paid 70 Baht for a reasonable size beef steak with salads but without bread at the night stalls along wulai road near the old cultural centre...not bad though the meat is tender ( i think they added tenderiser )...run by a muslin woman...

I paid 70 Baht for a reasonable size beef steak with salads but without bread at the night stalls along wulai road near the old cultural centre...not bad though the meat is tender ( i think they added tenderiser )...run by a muslin woman...

Those muslins, you can see right through them!

:jap:

David

There's also a tasty one behind CMU (Lang Mor) up Suthep Road, probably opposite soi 5 or so, a good 75 m before the final entrance gate to the university. I forget the price, 49 or 59 B, and the guy there shakes on a very aromatic blend of pepper and other spices. You can hardly walk by without wanting one. he sets up about 5 pm every day.

There's also a tasty one behind CMU (Lang Mor) up Suthep Road, probably opposite soi 5 or so, a good 75 m before the final entrance gate to the university. I forget the price, 49 or 59 B, and the guy there shakes on a very aromatic blend of pepper and other spices. You can hardly walk by without wanting one. he sets up about 5 pm every day.

Are you saying there is a tasty guy who gives you a shake for 49Baht?

There's a good one run by a couple on the left side of Thannon Chotana coming from Pratu Chang Phueak about 1/2 way down. Open at night until late. I think it is also somewhere in the 59 Baht range and you can ask for Italian or French dressing on the salad and I think it's mashed potatoes, not fries. I do know that the beef is more than anything else but not sure how much more. I would never order a 'beef steak' from a place that though. It would be like eating a shoe! :lol: