Bangkok Braces For Unstoppable Flood Waters

webfact

The coming high tides are quite dramatic as shown on the attached graph.

Next weekend, the tides will reach over half a meter higher than those high tides we saw last week. This, combined with the incoming water from the north, may be "unstoppable", since the seawalls in some areas are already seeing near-flooding levels.

Contrary to what some "experts" on Thai Visa have said, the tides do not coincide with the full or new moon, and they are not purely sinusoidal. Study the graph, and you can see the cycles change in shape dramatically, sometimes the secondary low-tide cycles are almost skipped.

The actual link is here: 7-Day Tide Chart - Bangkok Port

Tide Chart.tiff

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used Bangkok not Bangkok people. Everyone knows the vote is up to the people in command. However the sentiment of most of the people was Bangkok was too important to risk it. Now its too late.

I am saying here i hope you get as much as me but not more. And that means that it still doable here. That i dont say i hope you keep your feet dry is more about me thinking its a lost race already and hoping it wont get too bad.

But i keep of the opinion that if they had opened the gates earlier it could have been better.

Well, the idea that you wish ANY harm on anyone else says a lot about your maturity. If you want to talk about sharing the pain, I think Bangkok residents had plenty of local problems last year for quite a while- and which didn't cause any direct problem to people in the provinces- in fact, one could argue that the people in the provinces were part of the problems HERE, and many seemed to be quite enjoying our discomfort. Memories sure are short. I don't wish any harm to you or your area, and I do hope you'll grow up.

In fact, this may be a little bit provocative, if the people in the provinces REALLY WANTED to, they could do without the central government and solve these flooding problems by building THEIR OWN D*** RESERVOIRS. They have the space, they have the labour, they need the water during the dry seasons- if it weren't for the fact that the people there who could organise and help to pay or donate land for such things are just as selfish and shortsighted as any Bangkok businessmen, it could have been done 30 or 40 years ago and there'd be no need for people to deny their own responsibilities and look for someone else to blame for their problems.

I used Bangkok not Bangkok people. Everyone knows the vote is up to the people in command. However the sentiment of most of the people was Bangkok was too important to risk it. Now its too late.

I am saying here i hope you get as much as me but not more. And that means that it still doable here. That i dont say i hope you keep your feet dry is more about me thinking its a lost race already and hoping it wont get too bad.

But i keep of the opinion that if they had opened the gates earlier it could have been better.

Well, the idea that you wish ANY harm on anyone else says a lot about your maturity. If you want to talk about sharing the pain, I think Bangkok residents had plenty of local problems last year for quite a while- and which didn't cause any direct problem to people in the provinces- in fact, one could argue that the people in the provinces were part of the problems HERE, and many seemed to be quite enjoying our discomfort. Memories sure are short. I don't wish any harm to you or your area, and I do hope you'll grow up.

Learn to read I don't wish them harm. I am just not like the government telling people it will all be ok. I just hope you guys don't get more water as me. No water would be better but i dont think that is realistic. (some parts maybe).

Water like it is here is bad.. but you can survive. More then half a meter in your house will be real bad. But 20 cm the damage is bad but not super bad. Now do you see I dont wish them harm.

In fact, this may be a little bit provocative, if the people in the provinces REALLY WANTED to, they could do without the central government and solve these flooding problems by building THEIR OWN D*** RESERVOIRS. They have the space, they have the labour, they need the water during the dry seasons- if it weren't for the fact that the people there who could organise and help to pay or donate land for such things are just as selfish and shortsighted as any Bangkok businessmen, it could have been done 30 or 40 years ago and there'd be no need for people to deny their own responsibilities and look for someone else to blame for their problems.

Whatever, im am not in the provinces im in one of the suburbs of BKK that is being flooded because BKK did not take water in fast enough. (might have flooded anyway or not who knows) But BKK did not want to risk it. Now because they did not risk it they made their own problems worse.

I really hope this wont cause too much damage for anyone (except Yingluck and followers because they did not give out good news)

A bit provocative, indeed.

Keep in mind that with the Central Plain so flat it's not really economical nor practical to build dams or reservoirs there :ermm:

I am saying here i hope you get as much as me but not more.

Take what you have now, and put it in the middle of a city of over 10 million people, and it is a much more dangerous crisis. It is much easier to deal with and help a small number of people than a densely packed city of filled with millions. How much more difficult will it be to feed all these millions of people if the roads are flooded and you can't deliver food?

Ok, I get it. :jap:

Sorry, sometimes the tone of things doesn't come through written posts the way it's meant to. In that case, I hope you're right and we don't have things any worse than you guys do.

I am bitter about BKK not opening the flood gates before, but I dont wish you harm. I just think more could have been averted.

Here i hope the water will stop rising.. but i doubt it will happen soon. The real test will be 28-30 with the high tides.

I am saying here i hope you get as much as me but not more.

Take what you have now, and put it in the middle of a city of over 10 million people, and it is a much more dangerous crisis. It is much easier to deal with and help a small number of people than a densely packed city of filled with millions. How much more difficult will it be to feed all these millions of people if the roads are flooded and you can't deliver food?

Again, i think you are going to get it anyway. (i see no way to avert it). SO what i am saying is i hope you get as much there as i have here and not more preferably less.

Clear ?

Next weekend, the tides will reach over half a meter higher than those high tides we saw last week. This, combined with the incoming water from the north, may be "unstoppable", since the seawalls in some areas are already seeing near-flooding levels.

Contrary to what some "experts" on Thai Visa have said, the tides do not coincide with the full or new moon, and they are not purely sinusoidal. Study the graph, and you can see the cycles change in shape dramatically, sometimes the secondary low-tide cycles are almost skipped.

So it's just a coincidence that there was a full moon last week with exceptionally high tides, and a new moon next weekend with more exceptionally high tides?

The tides are influenced by both the moon and the sun (50% effect of the moon). When they are on the opposite side (full moon) or the same side (new moon) of the earth is when they have the biggest influence.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?obj=moon&n=28

Edited by whybother

In fact, this may be a little bit provocative, if the people in the provinces REALLY WANTjED to, they could do without the central government and solve these flooding problems by building THEIR OWN D*** RESERVOIRS. They have the space, they have the labour, they need the water during the dry seasons- if it weren't for the fact that the people there who could organise and help to pay or donate land for such things are just as selfish and shortsighted as any Bangkok businessmen, it could have been done 30 or 40 years ago and there'd be no need for people to deny their own responsibilities and look for someone else to blame for their problems.

Whatever, im am not in the provinces im in one of the suburbs of BKK that is being flooded because BKK did not take water in fast enough. (might have flooded anyway or not who knows) But BKK did not want to risk it. Now because they did not risk it they made their own problems worse.

I really hope this wont cause too much damage for anyone (except Yingluck and followers because they did not give out good news)

You are flooded because too much water is coming down from north. No water from up north, no flood for you. Got it? To post the same story in almost every thread does not make it better. You're under water, that's bad but so is life on certain days. So your motorbike gets wet... it's not like your loved ones will drown.

So it's just a coincidence that there was a full moon last week with exceptionally high tides, and a new moon next weekend with more exceptionally high tides?

The tides are influenced by both the moon and the sun (50% effect of the moon). When they are on the opposite side (full moon) or the same side (new moon) of the earth is when they have the biggest influence.

http://www.timeandda...l?obj=moon&n=28

I was expecting this. Oh well, if you can't read the data, let me explain (yes - why bother?).

Look at the tide chart. It shows the highest coming tide on Sunday, October 30th.

Look at the lunar data you provided. The new moon occurs very early in the morning on October 27th.

Do they coincide? No. Are they related? Of course.

The same happened during the last full moon cycle.

Edited by PaultheSeeker

In fact, this may be a little bit provocative, if the people in the provinces REALLY WANTjED to, they could do without the central government and solve these flooding problems by building THEIR OWN D*** RESERVOIRS. They have the space, they have the labour, they need the water during the dry seasons- if it weren't for the fact that the people there who could organise and help to pay or donate land for such things are just as selfish and shortsighted as any Bangkok businessmen, it could have been done 30 or 40 years ago and there'd be no need for people to deny their own responsibilities and look for someone else to blame for their problems.

You are flooded because too much water is coming down from north. No water from up north, no flood for you. Got it? To post the same story in almost every thread does not make it better. You're under water, that's bad but so is life on certain days. So your motorbike gets wet... it's not like your loved ones will drown.

If water gets drained faster things will be ok. Get it. If BKK had taken water earlier things would not have nearly been as bad.

Will your loved ones drown if BKK takes in water ?

The bike will probably get wet and ill probably have 40k+ damages in the house alone excluding bike and other stuff. So yea i got reason to be pissed about BKK. Do I wish you guys harm .. no. Do i wish BKK had taken some more risks yes .. It would have helped them too. Now we are all <Snip!> when the high tide comes in

Edited by Crossy
Other Expletive removed.

I was expecting this. Oh well, if you can't read the data, let me explain (yes - why bother?).

Look at the tide chart. It shows the highest coming tide on Sunday, October 30th.

Look at the lunar data you provided. The new moon occurs very early in the morning on October 27th.

:jap:

Here i hope the water will stop rising.. but i doubt it will happen soon. The real test will be 28-30 with the high tides.

What is the reason behind high tides making the flooding worse? I can understand that if the sea level is high, then there flow of the water to the sea will be less or stop.

Is there some kind of data, how high are the river levels compared to the sea level during low and high tides (full or new moon highs)?

As well as, when there is high tides, there will be low tides after 6 hours. Would that help to get rid of the excess water?

Also as Bangkok is pretty lowland, how much above sea level (standard, high tide, low tide) it actually is?

I just wish to understand what are the moving parts in this puzzle.

:jap:

To add insult to injury, with motion of large objects in the solar system known for a while already, most tides are reasonably accurate predictable. Most uncertainties are probably in weather and global rise of seawater level ;)

Edited by rubl

What is the reason behind high tides making the flooding worse? I can understand that if the sea level is high, then there flow of the water to the sea will be less or stop.

Is there some kind of data, how high are the river levels compared to the sea level during low and high tides (full or new moon highs)?

As well as, when there is high tides, there will be low tides after 6 hours. Would that help to get rid of the excess water?

Also as Bangkok is pretty lowland, how much above sea level (standard, high tide, low tide) it actually is?

The tide will make the river higher as its is influenced by tide. So a river that is higher as normal + extra water from the North = disaster

I dont know know how much it influences the river but they seem to be scared of it.

The tide will make the river higher as its is influenced by tide. So a river that is higher as normal + extra water from the North = disaster

I dont know know how much it influences the river but they seem to be scared of it.

Let me help in understanding what 'moving parts' there are in this puzzle. Basicly it's just the water and all those government officials issuing conflicting statements :rolleyes:

Edited by rubl

I am saying here i hope you get as much as me but not more..

Why would you hope something terrible to happen to your fellow men? Would it somehow ease your pain?

Do you have any idea what it would be like if a city of over 10 Mil will be without food and drinking water, perhaps for weeks?

Wow! That's a new point of view! Kudos!

At this time of year, both the high tides and low tides are considerably higher than usual.

With Ayutthaya being only a couple of metres above sea level, the high tides at this time of year will stop a lot of the water from draining, and the low tides aren't that low, so at that time not a lot of water drains out. Also, there is only so much water that would drain out during the lower tides - basically, not enough.

These coming spring tides, combined with the onrush of flood water, can reach levels higher than Bangkok's flood barriers, which are somewhere around 2.5 meters above sea level, I believe. (Note: The datums for various tide chart sources seem to be taken at different heights, as the chart I provided, and the Thai Navy's data are not the same. I would expect the datum is the mean sea level, but this seems to vary.)

Yes, the low tides help drain water out faster, but this will stop as the flood tide rises.

You can check altitudes in Google Earth.

Yes, wind can affect the water levels, as it did a couple days ago. I used to live on the southern end of the Chesapeake Bay in the US, and we got some of our highest flooding due to nor'easters blowing water in from the northeast.

This discussion on tides reminds me of the Thames Barrier or Venice Tide Barrier. If we had something like that, it could be closed at low tide, flood water would then drain faster during the next few hours, while the flood tide is blocked. Then, when the levels are equal during the ebb tide, the barrier would open to let the water out. The seawalls would still need to be high enough to prevent the high water levels from overflowing.

I am saying here i hope you get as much as me but not more..

Why would you hope something terrible to happen to your fellow men? Would it somehow ease your pain?

Do you have any idea what it would be like if a city of over 10 Mil will be without food and drinking water, perhaps for weeks?

If you read before you post you will see what i mean. Bascially what i am saying is its sure your going to get water. I just hope its not more then what i have here because this is a situation you can live with.

I am not saying i wish you no water because i just dont believe they can keep all of BKK dry.

Did that clear it up ?

I explained this a few posts after that post.

If Bangkok had opened their gates earlier this might have been prevented. But they did not want to take any risk and keep their feet dry. Now i can get out of control.

I said the same a while back too much water is coming you cant stop it you have to let it in. I have seen the water.. its still here rising a bit all the time. If one of your precious dams burst it will all come in.

We have felt it here, and i hope you wont get more then us at the depth we have it now its still do able.

It's quite clear that what you lack in knowledge you make up for in volume.

You have no idea what you are talking about. The Chao Phraya river drains the central flood plain, not the canals of Bangkok.

The amount of water that can be channeled through Bangkok's floodgates and canals is infinitesimal when compared to the volume of water that flows through the Chao Phraya river.

In other words, opening the flood gates and inundating Bangkok will have a negligible effect on the total volume of water that needs to drain into the Gulf of Thailand.

Allowing the capital of Thailand to flood will have little effect on the overall flood situation but will do great harm to the nation as a whole.

Your repeated calls for Bangkok to flood and share your pain are childish and irresponsible.

If Bangkok had opened their gates earlier this might have been prevented. But they did not want to take any risk and keep their feet dry. Now i can get out of control.

I said the same a while back too much water is coming you cant stop it you have to let it in. I have seen the water.. its still here rising a bit all the time. If one of your precious dams burst it will all come in.

We have felt it here, and i hope you wont get more then us at the depth we have it now its still do able.

You have no idea what you are talking about. The Chao Phraya river drains the central flood plain, not the canals of Bangkok.

The amount of water that can be channeled through Bangkok's floodgates and canals is infinitesimal when compared to the volume of water that flows through the Chao Phraya river.

In other words, opening the flood gates and inundating Bangkok will have a negligible effect on the total volume of water that needs to drain into the Gulf of Thailand.

Allowing the capital of Thailand to flood will have little effect on the overall flood situation but will do great harm to the nation as a whole.

Your repeated calls for Bangkok to flood and share your pain are childish and irresponsible.

Your not getting it either, I do understand its not much but its better as nothing.

Anyway nothing much else to do as post as i cant leave the house.

But tell me o wise one how much can the canals drain.. and how much the river ? Or are you guessing too. I am pretty sure the river drains the most. But if it was so neg liable why would they even consider it ?

I am not calling to flood BKK itself I am pretty sure you guys are going to get wet feet and i just wish you no more water as what i have. Because these levels are survivable and liveable.

I still think that if they started draining through BKK last week then now it would be less then it is. How much less nobody knows not even BBBKK.

Many arguments regarding Bkk and other PROTECTED areas. is it good to have near no water,and then 4 foot of water around other places. Land fill asap. I will say sorry let the water from day one flow through. With exceptions == power sources == vital admin=== installations ..water ...these should already be protected with walls, as should the temples in Ayuttaya. along with others. Maybe the cabinet will next think it will all evaporate, come the dry season. So when are the deep flooded areas going to be relieved ???---maybe they will have 1000. pumps at the ready B)

I am going to take a flyer here and I am probably making some incorrect assumptions as I don't live in Bangkok. I am sure I will be corrected where they are wrong but please be gentle with me.

From what I have read in the various posts is that the canals in Bangkok are primary to take stormwater and prevent roads from flooding. They also have floodgates at one end to alleviate external flooding problems (outer Bangkok that is). Some of the canals flow directly into the Chao Phraya river but others are pumped back into the river. Those that are pumped will obviously have a finite volume before they overflow into the roads. I assume that when pumping the water into the Chao Phraya river, they can only do it while the river is at a lower level )low tide) and it can manage the extra water. If it is done t a time when the Chao Phraya river is high it will just cause the river to overflow into other areas so pumping will need to stop. There appears to be a problem that some floodgates once opened cannot be closed due to the force of the water which means the canals will flood. From reading in the forums over the last week it appears that the volume of water is far too great to use any of the installed preventative systems to prevent a flood but they may be able to alleviate it or at least reduce the period of flooding. Good luck to all of you in the threatened and already flooded areas and I hope contingency plans are being made as to how to feed everybody and see to their health in the coming months.

Your not getting it either, I do understand its not much but its better as nothing.

Anyway nothing much else to do as post as i cant leave the house.

But tell me o wise one how much can the canals drain.. and how much the river ? Or are you guessing too. I am pretty sure the river drains the most. But if it was so neg liable why would they even consider it ?

I am not calling to flood BKK itself I am pretty sure you guys are going to get wet feet and i just wish you no more water as what i have. Because these levels are survivable and liveable.

I still think that if they started draining through BKK last week then now it would be less then it is. How much less nobody knows not even BBBKK.

Just a thought to cheer your day - if BKK gets 1m+ of water which makes food and potable water deliveries/distribution difficult if not near impossible, a few million people are going to exodus seeking food, water and accommodation. You did say that you were close, fancy some house-guests?