Bangkok Floods Could Last Weeks: Thai PM

webfact

Bangkok floods could last weeks: Thai PM

by Boonradom Chitradon

BANGKOK, October 26, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand's premier on Wednesday warned the confused and nervous citizens of Bangkok that incoming floods could last for four weeks and that there was a one-in-two chance the city centre would be hit.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra told reporters that the capital's flood barriers might not be able to hold back a mass of run-off water from the north as the country grapples with its worst flooding in decades.

"But I'm fifty percent confident that the inner zone of Bangkok will not be completely flooded," she said, toning down comments from a day before when she said flooding in central Bangkok was "highly likely".

The crisis has been plagued by contradictory information from national and local authorities, further confusing the city's 12 million residents who have been bracing for the onslaught of water for days now.

Adding to the deluged kingdom's woes are fears of crocodiles on the loose from flooded farms -- another three of which were captured Wednesday in Nonthaburi province, north of the capital.

"They are between 1.7 and 1.8 metres (5.5-6 feet) long," an official from the fisheries department told AFP, adding that they knew of no attacks on humans by the escaped reptiles, whose numbers remain unclear.

A high tide this weekend is expected to surge up Bangkok's already swollen Chao Phraya river, and Yingluck said a "worst-case scenario" would see parts of the low-lying city submerged in "more than one metre" (3 feet) of water.

"Initially, the floods in Bangkok will last for two weeks to one month," she added.

More than 600 inmates, including some who are on death row, were moved on Wednesday from the notorious Bang Kwang prison on the Chao Phraya riverbank, better known as the "Bangkok Hilton".

Many supermarkets were running low on essential items such as bottled water and eggs as residents stocked up on goods ahead of the expected deluge.

"The most critical shortage is drinking water," Yingluck said, advising people to boil tap water before consuming.

On Tuesday, the government ordered a five-day holiday from October 27-31 for 21 provinces including Bangkok, allowing the city's residents to prepare for the inundation or leave the capital.

Government offices will be closed and authorities have urged public and private companies to allow their staff the time off, but the central bank said financial markets and banks would not shut down.

Public schools in Bangkok, currently on holiday, are not expected to reopen until November 15, and several international schools have also delayed the return of pupils.

The massive Chatuchak market, one of the city's most popular tourist attractions, will also be closed this weekend, local officials said.

Bangkok's main air hub, Suvarnabhumi, is operating as normal but domestic Don Mueang airport, in the north of the capital, suspended flights until November 1 after waters started seeping onto the runways on Tuesday.

About 4,000 flood evacuees who had found refuge at a disused terminal on the compound were being moved to other shelters.

Despite the rising waters, Yingluck said the government would not move its flood relief centre, which is located on the second floor of one of the airport buildings.

More than 370 people have been killed in the three-month flood crisis caused by unusually heavy monsoon rains, damaging the homes of millions of people and forcing tens of thousands into evacuation centres.

The crisis has forced the shutdown of thousands of inundated factories, disrupting supply chains and putting more than half a million people temporarily out of work.

The disaster is expected to shave around one percent off Thailand's economic growth in 2011, according to the government, which on Tuesday announced a raft of measures to help flood-affected businesses in an bid to reassure investors.

Proposals to boost investor confidence include about $10 billion in soft loans and tax waivers.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-10-26

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One thing I would really like to know...

how do I boil tap- water, when I don't have a gas stove and the electricity is cut???

With my hot breath?

DocN, if you don't have urgent responsibilities to attend to, and if you have the means, I would encourage you to leave the city and go elsewhere. If you do not have the means, look through your closet to see if you have a red shirt. That should gain you entry to one of the evacuation centers. Good Luck.

Despite the rising waters, Yingluck said the government would not to move its flood relief centre, which is located on the second floor of one of the airport buildings.

Another statement that will prove to be false in the next couple days, FROC will abandon Don Muang like rats from a sinking ship anytime now. Maybe they would like to relocate to Dubai, I hear it's still dry there.

From 'Thailand Live'

.....Phra Phayom further said that the temple cares for nearly a thousand dogs and spends about five million baht on their food every month. Two other branches of the temple, in Ayutthaya and Buri Ram provinces, have been inundated as well. Phra Phayom expects it could take more than ten years to rehabilitate the temples. Over 400 stray dogs have been evacuated from the temple to Suan Kaew Foundation in Kanchanaburi's Sai Yok (ไทรโยค) District. The remaining dogs at the temple will be evacuated soon. The evacuated dogs have been put in cages to prevent them from disturbing residents. They will be brought back to the temple once the flood situation eases.

That's an average of over Bt.5,000/month for dog food for each dog. Quite a bit, if I may say so. With that many dogs, they should make their own dog chow. The bigger question is the downside of keeping so many dogs. It's one thing to be caring and compassionate, yet it should be balanced with being sensible. It's doubtful those 1,000 dogs are neutered, so the Phra is also harboring a breeding ground for dozens of new dogs a month. Regardless, that many dogs produces lots of feces, flies, and noise. Glad I'm not one of the neighbors.

Not sure how they do it in other countries, but in the US, unwanted dogs and strays are kept in an animal shelter for a month or so. Then, if they're not claimed or adopted, they're put to sleep. Some may think it cruel, but what's the alternative? A. Allow tens of thousands of strays to roam around untended, or B. (as Phra Phayom does it), maintain a breeding ground for strays, until it bursts at the seams.

Best buy some armbands as I cannot swim.

You know what - I was thinking about that the other day; Most Thai's I know can't swim. That's one scary thought.

If you look at the data from the 2004 Tsunami, the numbers were really bad for children. Not just because they are more fragile but because so many could not swim. Some of us Westerners may take it for granted that people can swim because many of us were Boy Scouts or Girl scouts, were members of public or private swimming pools etc. But you might be surprised how few people actually swim, even though they live near the water. Sure they can wade in and splash around, but that is not swimming.

From 'Thailand Live'

.....Phra Phayom further said that the temple cares for nearly a thousand dogs and spends about five million baht on their food every month. Two other branches of the temple, in Ayutthaya and Buri Ram provinces, have been inundated as well. Phra Phayom expects it could take more than ten years to rehabilitate the temples. Over 400 stray dogs have been evacuated from the temple to Suan Kaew Foundation in Kanchanaburi's Sai Yok (ไทรโยค) District. The remaining dogs at the temple will be evacuated soon. The evacuated dogs have been put in cages to prevent them from disturbing residents. They will be brought back to the temple once the flood situation eases.

That's an average of over Bt.5,000/month for dog food for each dog. Quite a bit, if I may say so. With that many dogs, they should make their own dog chow. The bigger question is the downside of keeping so many dogs. It's one thing to be caring and compassionate, yet it should be balanced with being sensible. It's doubtful those 1,000 dogs are neutered, so the Phra is also harboring a breeding ground for dozens of new dogs a month. Regardless, that many dogs produces lots of feces, flies, and noise. Glad I'm not one of the neighbors.

Not sure how they do it in other countries, but in the US, unwanted dogs and strays are kept in an animal shelter for a month or so. Then, if they're not claimed or adopted, they're put to sleep. Some may think it cruel, but what's the alternative? A. Allow tens of thousands of strays to roam around untended, or B. (as Phra Phayom does it), maintain a breeding ground for strays, until it bursts at the seams.

While not quite the same thing, it reminds me of giving money to friends or relatives that you know are absuing it, buying booze, drugs or gambling or whatever. You hate to say no to them when they ask, but you hate what you know they are doing with the money.

how do I boil tap- water, when I don't have a gas stove and the electricity is cut???

Now that you have acknowledged the shortfall, it's probably a good idea to buy a portable gas stove and a bottle of gas. They're available at every major and many minor stores, along with tanks of gas on just about every street in Bangkok. And they're cheap.

Edited by thaiphoon
Quote repaired

With my hot breath?

DocN, if you don't have urgent responsibilities to attend to, and if you have the means, I would encourage you to leave the city and go elsewhere. If you do not have the means, look through your closet to see if you have a red shirt. That should gain you entry to one of the evacuation centers. Good Luck.

Bro, most of condo's just NOT allowed any gas tanks, balloons or whatever. Use electric one, or use your gas tank somewhere else (not in da condo) - and that's it.

Edited by thaiphoon
Quote repaired

OP wrote

The government said it has set up special mental health units across the country and dispatched teams of psychiatrists and psychologists to help almost 100,000 people thought to be suffering from flood-related stress.

Crisis counseling? What a bunch of lame brains.

Comedy hour......a sad one at that.

One thing I have noticed about all the tsunami and WTC crisis "professionals": none of those listening missed a meal nor a paycheck.

Edited by thaiphoon
Quote repaired

Is that the same PM who only a couple of weeks ago let it be known through several of her highly-qualified ministers that Bangkok would be completely safe?

But now Big Brother has allegedly purchased God knows how many thousands of pumps from Korea (North? South?), so those floods better arrive soon!

Still bone dry in my area and even according to a inundation model published today all I can expect is 10-21 centimetres. That won't even reach up to the first step of my main entrance.

Save yourselves! Panic-buy! Evacuate head over heels!

I wonder if any of the multitude of reporters would care to ask the PM what factors are influencing her change from no Bangkok flood to 50% chance the flood will or won't last 4 weeks.

It appears the PM's press conference are "releases" with no time in her schedule to answer questions. Put the spokeswoman out in front, if the PM does not want to show her arse any further, although that may be her only redeeming asset.

Bro, most of condo's just NOT allowed any gas tanks, balloons or whatever. Use electric one, or use your gas tank somewhere else (not in da condo) - and that's it.

Good info. That means mine will be coming home hidden in a duffle bag. Better to get kicked out for using a gas stove during a dire emergency than to drink unboiled water for a few days.

Apologies for my initial post. It was harsher than I intended- so I edited it.

Still bone dry in my area and even according to a inundation model published today all I can expect is 10-21 centimetres. That won't even reach up to the first step of my main entrance.

That's all fine and dandy but everything is inter-connected and you can't servuive very long in your house/condo if the corner 7 is out of food/water, the gas shop is closed because it can get delivery of canisters and you can't cook anything, if many restaurants are flooded or closed again because they can get deliveries of raw materials through the water or the factories producing or the distribution centers sending stuff to retailers are flooded. What happens if you can't get money from ATMs if they are out of money because the re-fill trucks can't get to them or the electricity is out or wherever they print/store new currency is flooded. What happens if enough oil refineries production is interrupted and gasoline/diesel becomes in short supply...again, no deliveries of anything to stores/restos and you yourself can't refill your car and little taxi/motocye services to get to a store/resto or even to the airport to evacuate.

Good info. That means mine will be coming home hidden in a duffle bag. Better to get kicked out for using a gas stove during a dire emergency than to drink unboiled water for a few days.

Sure. Last time (few years ago) I did the same.

Or just bring it in at evening (not in your condo's office hours), and wrap with something...ya, you know what I mean. :)

This will be against condo rules of course. But...who cares at this time. Hope your condo understand that, even if they see you bringig the tank... :(

You could try to find a small barbecue bucket and some bags of charcoal smuggle the contraband in and use it on your balcony. Don't use said system in apartment as it could prove fatal

3896361237_473b18dfb1.jpg

Edited by siampolee

You could try to find a small barbecue bucket and some bags of charcoal smuggle the contraband in and use it on your balcony. Don't use said system in apartment as it could prove fatal

3896361237_473b18dfb1.jpg

Also you can buy a small PORTABLE gas stove (an A4 book's size) and a few gas packs to that (sized as a common air refreshener balloons).

Easily be found at Big-C, near fans + rice cookers sections.

Dunno if they still available at this time, but you can try to visit there and check.

s_efa3d0195eae0cc5e11a134a3668715f.jpg.

Apologies for my initial post. It was harsher than I intended- so I edited it.

No offense taken...if it was meant to be harsh...I didn't get it! laugh.gif

I am not too experienced with "camping equipment" and where to buy it...this is a "first time" for me...being trapped in a condo with no drinking water by a toxic wave of floodwater.

Thanks for your advise...much more appreciated, that the one I got from one of the usual government - bashers.

With my hot breath?

Put it in a clear PET plastic bottle and leave in the sun for 6 hours - kills all bacteria and probably hot enough for coffee.

kills all bacteria

Except for the billions that survive along with viruses, amoebas etc.

Principle

Exposure to sunlight has been shown to deactivate diarrhea-causing organisms in polluted drinking water. Three effects of solar radiation are believed to contribute to the inactivation of pathogenic organisms:

• UV-A interferes directly with the metabolism and destroys cell structures of bacteria.
  • UV-A (wavelength 320-400 nm) reacts with oxygen dissolved in the water and produces highly reactive forms of oxygen (oxygen free radicals and hydrogen peroxides), that are believed to also damage pathogens.
  • Cumulative solar energy (including the infrared radiation component) heats the water. If the water temperatures rises above 50°C, the disinfection process is three times faster.

At a water temperature of about 30°C (86°F), a threshold solar irradiance of at least 500 W/m2 (all spectral light) is required for about 5 hours for SODIS to be efficient. This dose contains energy of 555 Wh/m2 in the range of UV-A and violet light, 350 nm-450 nm, corresponding to about 6 hours of mid-latitude (European) midday summer sunshine.

At water temperatures higher than 45°C (113°F), synergistic effects of UV radiation and temperature further enhance the disinfection efficiency.

[edit] Process for household application

400px-Pictograms_SODIS.jpg magnify-clip.png SODIS instructions for using solar water disinfection.

• Colourless, transparent PET water or pop bottles (2 litre or smaller size) with few surface scratches are chosen for use. The labels are removed and the bottles are washed before the first use.
  • Water from contaminated sources are filled into the bottles. To improve oxygen saturation, bottles can be filled three quarters, shaken for 20 seconds (with the cap on), then filled completely and recapped. Very cloudy water with a turbidity higher than 30 NTU must be filtered prior to exposure to the sunlight.
  • Filled bottles are then exposed to the sun. Bottles will heat faster and to higher temperatures if they are placed on a sloped sun-facing corrugated metal roof as compared to thatched roofs.
  • The treated water can be consumed directly from the bottle or poured into clean drinking cups. The risk of re-contamination is minimized if the water is stored in the bottles. Refilling and storage in other containers increases the risk of contamination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_water_disinfection

For tap water, even if a little contaminated, it should be fine - at least better than doing nothing, or spouting crap.

Edit to change wrong link

Edited by OzMick