Bangkok Floods Could Last Weeks: Thai PM

webfact

One thing I would really like to know...

how do I boil tap- water, when I don't have a gas stove and the electricity is cut???

With my hot breath?

Put it in a clear PET plastic bottle and leave in the sun for 6 hours - kills all bacteria and probably hot enough for coffee.

Note that it probably should not be done as part of normal lifestyle, as it would not eradicate any toxic chemicals that are in the water. Also, the water should be filtered somehow beforehand to eradicate the solids floating in it. Filtration can be done using a piece of paper (folded into a cone) and a funnel. A top-half of a plastic bottle could be used as a funnel.

Probably obvious, but to be sure:

Don't use paper with print (aka ink) on it, use 'unused' paper

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tap water can be purified by pouring it into PET bottles which then has to lay in the sun for several hours.

The UV rays will kill all bacteria. This method is approved by the WHO. It doesn't work with glass bottles as glass is blocking UV rays.

wikipedia

I'm very sorry but (there's always a but after very sorry) the Dutch offered to help with the fairly obvious water problems facing Bangkok many years ago, it was turned down because "Thai way best"

Breaking news - No it isn't.

They also turned down help from an aircraft carrier with a full compliment of helos. I have no sympathy for what's happening now actually.

Som Num Na pretty much sums it up for me.

I'm very sorry but (there's always a but after very sorry) the Dutch offered to help with the fairly obvious water problems facing Bangkok many years ago, it was turned down because "Thai way best"

Breaking news - No it isn't.

They also turned down help from an aircraft carrier with a full compliment of helos. I have no sympathy for what's happening now actually.

Som Num Na pretty much sums it up for me.

Unfortunately all this means Bangkok citizens (only 10 - 12 million I'm told) may get their feet wet. I can only hope that work on a 'water managemet' plan will start now and sincerely and be followed through with financing reserved and actual work done even if it means there is a need to show backbone in making unpopular decisions. With 'popular' I mean both population as well as 'elite' of all kind and colours who may have to give up some of their land, privileges, opportunities to make money.

From your local Dutch uncle :)

I wonder if any of the multitude of reporters would care to ask the PM what factors are influencing her change from no Bangkok flood to 50% chance the flood will or won't last 4 weeks.

It appears the PM's press conference are "releases" with no time in her schedule to answer questions. Put the spokeswoman out in front, if the PM does not want to show her arse any further, although that may be her only redeeming asset.

I bet you wouldn't mind putting a lean on her assets

Edited by maidu

I have 4 tickets to BKK for November 13th. The Airline wants 250 USD per ticket to change it plus the change in air-fare.

I am looking at 2000-3000 dollars, since I bought the tickets during a promotion.

You would think that given the problems in the city re: the flooding, that the airline would be a bit understanding and waive the fee's, but they will not.

With two young children in tow, I would rather suck it up and pay for a January flight than expose them to any danger or traumatic experience.

Or, am I over-reacting?

If I understand this correctly, the flooding will not clear for another month.

Please tell me I've mistaken.

One thing I would really like to know...

how do I boil tap- water, when I don't have a gas stove and the electricity is cut???

With my hot breath?

Put it in a clear PET plastic bottle and leave in the sun for 6 hours - kills all bacteria and probably hot enough for coffee.

good idea laverda

you still drive one ?.. hmmm never seen in bkk

Both the one and only and myself are too bloody old - but it was a great 20 years! FYI 3C#1492 originally modified and sold by Slater Bros, UK as a 3CE. Lots of mods -fibreglass guard, Ducati SS fairing, Magura clip-ons, Brembo 4-spot calipers, factory race exhaust system (that came from the guy who first modified a 3C1000 to 1200), Ohlin shocks..............

Was thinking about a 600, got divorced instead.

I have 4 tickets to BKK for November 13th. The Airline wants 250 USD per ticket to change it plus the change in air-fare.

I am looking at 2000-3000 dollars, since I bought the tickets during a promotion.

You would think that given the problems in the city re: the flooding, that the airline would be a bit understanding and waive the fee's, but they will not.

With two young children in tow, I would rather suck it up and pay for a January flight than expose them to any danger or traumatic experience.

Or, am I over-reacting?

Do you actually need to be in Bangkok? Can you go somewhere else in Thailand? The airport is fine, so there is no problem getting here, and then you can fly off to the south or north, or drive around to the east.

If you're going to be charged that much to change, wait until the last possible minute to change them. A lot can change in 2 weeks. If Bangkok doesn't get flooded over the weekend, things will start getting back to normal (at least in the city) reasonably quickly.

Edited by whybother

Or, am I over-reacting?

Do you actually need to be in Bangkok? Can you go somewhere else in Thailand? The airport is fine, so there is no problem getting here, and then you can fly off to the south or north, or drive around to the east.

If you're going to be charged that much to change, wait until the last possible minute to change them. A lot can change in 2 weeks. If Bangkok doesn't get flooded over the weekend, things will start getting back to normal (at least in the city) reasonably quickly.

That's exactly what my wife said, but hearing here somehow makes me feel better.

I could go visit relatives up north but was hoping to get some cosmetic dentistry done while I'm there and that is something I will not do "up=country".

smile.gif

Or, am I over-reacting?

That's exactly what my wife said, but hearing here somehow makes me feel better.

I could go visit relatives up north but was hoping to get some cosmetic dentistry done while I'm there and that is something I will not do "up=country".

smile.gif

Well, are there any good cosmetic dentists in Udon thani? I really just assumed that Bangkok is where they would be.

smile.gif

Well, are there any good cosmetic dentists in Udon thani? I really just assumed that Bangkok is where they would be.

Wait a couple of weeks. Do it towards the end of your trip. No point stressing over it now. No one knows what it's going to be like in a month.

smile.gif

Wait a couple of weeks. Do it towards the end of your trip. No point stressing over it now. No one knows what it's going to be like in a month.

I don't have too much time to decide really. Qatar will only change the ticket with 7 days notice, so I have till the 6th to figure it out. But, thanks alot for the advice, I will take the wait and see approach. Fingers are crossed!