Scotch Bonnet

Kananga

Scotch bonnet is a nasty chili for heat makes a Thai chili look like cucumber when it comes to hot. Now you really want hot Trinidad Scorpion Butch T pepper with a Scoville rating of 1,463,700 SH. I have not seen any super hot varieties of chilis in Thailand but I am sure they are out there the abundance of produce in Thailand is staggering. Its one of the great perks about living here you can find 20+ different fruits and 20+ different veggies. I make my own salsa one batch had 24 different ingredients wanted to see how many different flavors I could get in.

Check the store on the bottom floor or Siam Paragon or the one at Centra world on the top floor. Those two places carry the widest variety of exotic(Non Asian, Asian exotic is not exotic in Asia!) items in Bangkok.

Edited by BigRick

In terms of hot scotch bonnet are on a different planet, saying that in the uk I did keep a jar of marinated ones, in the fridge for giving salad dressings a kick that seemed to keep the roundness of the spice but lost that nasty edge, if u get my drift, And i did, actually eat a whole fresh one for a bet , this really really was much to my regret, If anyone does come ax them in Bangkok dont forget to post it I would luv to make a sauce for the g/fs family, lol

Edited by rijit

Would agree that scotch bonnet are smoking. There are 3 other peppers that are hotter: Bhut Joloka(Assam/Bangladesh); Naga Viper;Trinidad Scorpion; and the 2011 champion: the Infinity Chili from old Blighty. It is interesting how societies change/evolve. There was no "Thai" chilli until the Portugese brought them from Mexico amigos. I have never seen any fo the above for sale; I guess a jar is the best that one can do. Perhaps someone will undertake to try to grow some of the above mentions chillis.

I'm going to grow some scotch bonnets. If they get a good reception from the locals we should pool our resources and start our own scotch bonnet farm. I'm sure with some locally directed marketing campaign like scotch bonnets will make your skin lighter we would be on to a winner. Who knows, in 300 years they may be the norm and some wise man will say, scotch bonnets didnt appear in Thailand till 2012 when some internet posters started up a small farm.

They had them in Tescos in the UK in April. I brought a few back and managed to grow one plant. Tried the Thai wife on just a snippet of bonnet and she accused me of trying to kill her and couldnt breath. Gave the maid the same amount and she ran straight out the door to the garden hose for cold water!

Plant died soon after, pretty sure they conspired to kill it.

Iain

I had a really nice chilli dish in a small bar in Santiago de Compostella . It was called " Pimento's de Padron " It consisted of mild to hot 2 inch long conicle shaped green peppers fried in olive oil with plenty of rock salt . It was served like that in an earhen ware plate . I had it with Chirizo al cidre and a pint of wine .

Any one know if they have similar peppers in thailand and what do they call them ?

They had them in Tescos in the UK in April. I brought a few back and managed to grow one plant. Tried the Thai wife on just a snippet of bonnet and she accused me of trying to kill her and couldnt breath. Gave the maid the same amount and she ran straight out the door to the garden hose for cold water!

Iain

biggrin.gif nice one we farang have to have some ammunition too,would love to grow some here also great for giving that fiery taste to a lot of dishes.

Iain

I'm sure the same thing happened when the Portugese introduced chillies 300 years ago. I'm sure a cleverly marketed 'Somchai eats Scotch Bonnet' or 'Farang can eat more spicy than Thai" campaign would get them chewing in no time.

I had a really nice chilli dish in a small bar in Santiago de Compostella . It was called " Pimento's de Padron " It consisted of mild to hot 2 inch long conicle shaped green peppers fried in olive oil with plenty of rock salt . It was served like that in an earhen ware plate . I had it with Chirizo al cidre and a pint of wine .

Any one know if they have similar peppers in thailand and what do they call them ?

Sound like jalapinos to me.

Sound like jalapinos to me.

Mmm , I would say I have only ever had jalapinos pickled . I have bought chillis that have looked similar over the years but have never been able to reproduce that dish . Maybe I just remembered it diffrent .

{oops got the quotes mixed up}

Edited by onionluke

I was growing them and selling them to locals in Pattaya and a restraint in BKK who were running a free t-shirt if someone could eat the chilli or sommit like that. I grew them hydroponically and they take around 4 months from seeding to fruit. Pretty cheap seeds and easy to grow but unfortunately i don't do hydro now apart from jalapeno's for personal use.

Post #145

Kananga,

I hope that you succeed in your venture, and any other posters that may try. In the early 90s, I thought about opening a "hot sauce factory" in Isaan. Chillis, labour, and the vats were cheap. Only bottling was expensive.I guess what stopped me was that the market is so saturated. Tabasco sells worldwide. I like it in caesars but not with food. The best hot sauce that I have tried is from Chile. Indeed, maybe one day some of us on this forum could grow different chillis, and maybe even make our own hot sauce...like making a fine wine, no?

I think we should. Thai food is world famous, and most people like it, or like to associate themselves with liking it and associate it with being spicy. There is no reason why we can't bring out a range of 'Thai' hot pepper sauces and become billionaires like the Redbull dude.

I think we should. Thai food is world famous, and most people like it, or like to associate themselves with liking it and associate it with being spicy. There is no reason why we can't bring out a range of 'Thai' hot pepper sauces and become billionaires like the Redbull dude.

LOL, imagine a smoking hot energy drink.