Fresh, Frozen Or Canned Leeks

alanp

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think that I've ever seen leeks for sale locally either at tescos or at the market...they got 'em up at the Suphan town tescos fresh and packaged and very expensive, don't believe that they are used much in the local cooking...

compares with Vietnam where you got leeks everywhere and cheap or folks wouldn't buy them...I was discussing pot au feu with a french colleague using the local beef, cheap and easy to make, one pot in the rice cooker in the hotel room...also ratatouille with local capsicums, european type aubergines and courgettes available everywhere most times of the year and never available outside of expensive western supermarkets in Thailand but available in local supermarkets in provincial VN...

and the beautiful avocados...4 for a dollar, swear to god...a westerner's dreamland but never seen any of it used in the local VN cuisine which is crap...

little guys in pyjamas, flip flops and AK-47s kickin' the shit out of major western imperialist armies with wonderful food that they don't know what to do with...:blink:

I don't think that I've ever seen leeks for sale locally either at tescos or at the market...they got 'em up at the Suphan town tescos fresh and packaged and very expensive, don't believe that they are used much in the local cooking...

compares with Vietnam where you got leeks everywhere and cheap or folks wouldn't buy them...I was discussing pot au feu with a french colleague using the local beef, cheap and easy to make, one pot in the rice cooker in the hotel room...also ratatouille with local capsicums, european type aubergines and courgettes available everywhere most times of the year and never available outside of expensive western supermarkets in Thailand but available in local supermarkets in provincial VN...

and the beautiful avocados...4 for a dollar, swear to god...a westerner's dreamland but never seen any of it used in the local VN cuisine which is crap...

little guys in pyjamas, flip flops and AK-47s kickin' the shit out of major western imperialist armies with wonderful food that they don't know what to do with...:blink:

The things that look like leeks that you see in the supermarkets are not leeks, they're Japanese Onions, a totally different species - the taste and texture are quite different.

I've occasionally seen genuine leeks imported from Australia in Villa, but very expensive.