Thai Language Course Offerings In Cm

samsara

You still haven't answered my question: Which ones did you study at to come to this conclusion?

I have no reason to speak out against any particular school, nor to point out the obvious.

But I have seen some "gift giving" when one school sent a representative along to immigration with some students

Let's just leave it that there was no queuing for those students on that day.

Edited by ludditeman

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a student at AUA and would recommend it highly...

Right inside Moat, Cool old building, Been there for 25 years...

Just watch out for Kruu Oronut in Reading & Writing Level 1 - She is a task master!!! :(

And they do offer Visa's as my classmate has one from them :rolleyes:

From my own experience, AUA may be riding more on location and (prior) reputation. I enrolled about 5 months ago for intense individual lessons. My instructor, who will remain unnamed, was often answering her telephone and texting during our lessons. I told her I also wanted to learn the Thai alphabet so I could read the language, and she told me to buy flash cards and let her know when I had memorized them. Last month it came to a head when she started shorting me on time so she could run over with other students. The final straw was when she stood me up for a class. When I complained to the administration, they said they could schedule another class at no charge (?!? - since I had already paid for the one I was stood up on), but I could not change instructors. It takes me about 20 minutes to drive to AUA, and I find it very insulting to have to deal with such behavior from an instructor. I will be trying sample classes from other providers - BUT NOT AUA - when I resume my studies, before I decide on one for the longer term. By the way, this is not for a visa, just a desire to learn the language of the country where I live.

You still haven't answered my question: Which ones did you study at to come to this conclusion?

I have no reason to speak out against any particular school, nor to point out the obvious.

But I have seen some "gift giving" when one school sent a representative along to immigration with some students

Let's just leave it that there was no queuing for those students on that day.

I imagine it's highly unlikely there's a company or school in Thailand that doesn't pass on gifts to people/companies/organizations that it relies on for official help. Immigration officers, like all government employees, used to be direct representatives of the King's authority. In place of official remuneration for services, King Rama 5 introduced a system called 'kin muang' (eat the country) for these officials. In exchange for using their power to 'help' someone, it was expected a gift would help supplement the lack of salary. This system persists despite official salaries. Have you not been to one of the larger supermarkets over the last few days? Thousands of gift baskets are stacked to the ceiling ready for New Year thank yous. It's far more polite than plain cash nowadays but that is also accepted by some in certain situations. The police at a checkpoint for example.

A few years ago the Thai parliament tried to pass a law to outlaw the use of English in parliament. The Bangkok Post pointed out that it was an attempt to remove the use of the English word 'corruption'. The range of Thai words for corruption are far less strong and relate mainly to common Thai practices of exchanging gifts and showing respect under the puu yai/puu noi hierarchy. Accusing a Thai MP of 'corruption' was damaging.

You feel this situation is wrong/illegal/immoral etc. because you are using your western conditioning to judge it. You may not realise this but Thais have a very different set of values and societal mores to us.

Edited by Loaded

If the Payup class was closer to the city then I would certainly go back and study there but that is my choice and may not suit others, my Thai at the time did improve and sorry to stray off topic but today I met a Thai lady in a laundromat here in Fremantle, I care for elderly parents and so have to use a laundromat for their washing.

I noticed the middle aged lady had a photo of the King in her car window and I asked in Thai if she was Thai and we briefly spoke and she does teaching here in Perth for Aussie immigration people to go to work in Bangkok and she said that she has taught others, so I took her card and may study with her as well.

I do apologise off but she said even though I have not been around Thai people and I am studying myself here at the moment she could tell I learnt Thai in a Uni as it is stil formal to a degree.

I use flash cards to try to keep up with writing or even recognising letters and I brought a few children books in Chiang Mai also to try to keep up with trying to read Thai.

My friends and the local tuk tuk driver used to get me to read car number plates also when I was first trying to learn.

Sorry to waffle on but I did find Payup very helpfull in learning and also assisting in the visa requirements for me

Classes

Classes are conducted between the hours of 9.00 a.m. - 12.00 p.m.

Mondays to Fridays (except public holidays).

Classes will be offered for 6 - 12 students.

Class Fees

DescriptionCost (Thai Baht)One course (60 hours), handouts and application fees included.

8,000 Thai BahtTwo successive courses in one enrollment (120 hours), handouts and application fees included.

15,500 Thai BahtTwo successive courses in one enrollment (120 hours), visa, handouts and application fees included.

20,200 Thai Baht

Remarks

All fees are nonrefundable except when the course is cancelled

If the Payup class was closer to the city then I would certainly go back and study there but that is my choice and may not suit others, my Thai at the time did improve and sorry to stray off topic but today I met a Thai lady in a laundromat here in Fremantle, I care for elderly parents and so have to use a laundromat for their washing.

I noticed the middle aged lady had a photo of the King in her car window and I asked in Thai if she was Thai and we briefly spoke and she does teaching here in Perth for Aussie immigration people to go to work in Bangkok and she said that she has taught others, so I took her card and may study with her as well.

I do apologise off but she said even though I have not been around Thai people and I am studying myself here at the moment she could tell I learnt Thai in a Uni as it is stil formal to a degree.

I use flash cards to try to keep up with writing or even recognising letters and I brought a few children books in Chiang Mai also to try to keep up with trying to read Thai.

My friends and the local tuk tuk driver used to get me to read car number plates also when I was first trying to learn.

Sorry to waffle on but I did find Payup very helpfull in learning and also assisting in the visa requirements for me

Classes

Class Fees

DescriptionCost (Thai Baht)One course (60 hours), handouts and application fees included.

8,000 Thai BahtTwo successive courses in one enrollment (120 hours), handouts and application fees included.

15,500 Thai BahtTwo successive courses in one enrollment (120 hours), visa, handouts and application fees included.

20,200 Thai Baht

Remarks

I think at Payap we want serious students. If you just want to get a visa please go to one of the other language schools. Thank you.

I think at Payap we want serious students. If you just want to get a visa please go to one of the other language schools. Thank you.

I have tried to contact you by email, but the link is barred by yahoo. Can you please PM me, as I am interested in starting a Thai course and I am not looking for a Visa. Many thanks

The main obstacle I have regarding the Payap program is the schedule. It works great if you commit to attending all terms sequentially. But I would prefer to take one level, and then take a break for play and travel before continuing to the next level. At Payap, you actually have to sit out two terms if you want to do this. For example, looking at the 2011 schedule, you could take level 1 in term 1 starting June 6. Then, if you don't want to immediately take level 2 in term 2 starting July 11, you have to wait until term 4 starting September 26. This is too long of a wait and no doubt the level 1 content would largely be lost to attrition. So yes, Payap is for the serious folks that don't plan on taking any breaks during the course of their studies.

If I did not already have a visa, I would do this to improve my Thai and get a visa at the same time. I can already get by pretty well, but my Thai would improve quickly if I could force myself to study again after all these years. It is hard to get motivated when you can do pretty much everything that you want to do in Thai, but not very well. Studing Thai and getting a long term visa as well sounds like a great deal to me. :ermm:

Edited by Ulysses G.

1323474964[/url]' post='4902170']
1323431134[/url]' post='4901376']

Classes

Class Fees

20,200 Thai Baht

Remarks

This is a good point? There are two things we are discussing in one thread? Getting a visa and learning Thai and the two are becoming confused. I want to learn Thai but do not need a visa or the over-inflated fees that goes with it. Can we discuss seperately?

This is a good point? There are two things we are discussing in one thread? Getting a visa and learning Thai and the two are becoming confused. I want to learn Thai but do not need a visa or the over-inflated fees that goes with it. Can we discuss seperately?

YMCA half way between Santitham Road and Gat Suan Keow shopping mall.

5 week course, Monday, Wednesday, Friday 2 hours each day for less than 2000bht.

Courses start/repeat every 6 weeks.

The teachers are no more incompetent than anywhere else, and it's a good price.

Why spend more money!

The other places want a load of cash up front and are really no better than the YMCA.

Edited by ludditeman

YMCA half way between Santitham Road and Gat Suan Keow shopping mall.

5 week course, Monday, Wednesday, Friday 2 hours each day for less than 2000bht.

Courses start/repeat every 6 weeks.

The teachers are no more incompetent than anywhere else, and it's a good price.

Why spend more money!

The other places want a load of cash up front and are really no better than the YMCA.

I'm in the second Reading and Writing Thai class at YMCA. I'm very pleased with my teacher, classmates, and what I have been able to learn. I plan to keep this up, taking class after class. A couple of years ago, I took the AUA class and ended up dropping out because the teacher was going too fast for me, though not some of the other students.

1323474964[/url]' post='4902170']
1323431134[/url]' post='4901376']

Classes

Class Fees

20,200 Thai Baht

Remarks

You get what you pay for. If you don't need a visa you pay only 15,500 baht.

Edited by richard10365

Payap, way out of town course start every 8 months, attendance required 5 days a week, 16k up front.

AUA, centre of town, teachers that make you stop wanting to learn Thai, attendance required 5 days a week, 4k up front.

YMCA, centre of town, course start every 6 weeks, attendance required 3 days a week, 2k up front.

Hard choice?

(note: sarcasm)

PS

At AUA most of us, who have taken multiple courses, have had the truly awful teacher experience.

It's why the course director won't tell students who is taking the course before it starts, despite knowing of the problems several of their teachers cause for students.

Edited by ludditeman

to take that another step.....

AUA - in the center of town, courses start every 6 weeks, ~4000B a class/term, and can offer visa's if necessary.

easiest choice (no sarcasm)

Payap, way out of town course start every 8 months, 16k up front.

YMCA, centre of town, course start every 6 weeks, 2k up front.

Hard choice?

Payap, way out of town course start every 8 months, attendance required 5 days a week, 16k up front.

AUA, centre of town, teachers that make you stop wanting to learn Thai, attendance required 5 days a week, 4k up front.

YMCA, centre of town, course start every 6 weeks, attendance required 3 days a week, 2k up front.

Hard choice?

PS

At AUA most of us, who have taken multiple courses, have had the truly awful teacher experience.

It's why the course director won't tell students who is taking the course before it starts, despite knowing of the problems several of their teachers cause for students.

Note to CMSteve

I know many people that having encountered AUAs more difficult teachers have loudly stated they will never go there again, a unique situation among all of CMs language schools.

Edited by ludditeman

Statistically it would be improbable not to have a few people that have problems. The real statistic to watch though is the number of students per term that go through the class and come back for more.

Don't get me wrong, there are teachers there that are much older and have a tendency to treat adult students like children, but their teaching ability speaks for itself.

As I am currently working on my 5th term there and planning at least 2 further courses, I would highly recommend AUA for its ability to teach(at least to student that want to learn). I would also recommend that people only looking for a visa stay away. Almost any other school will make it easier for you to get a visa.

Edited by CMSteve

Statistically it would be improbable not to have a few people that have problems. The real statistic to watch though is the number of students per term that go through the class and come back for more.

Don't get me wrong, there are teachers there that are much older and have a tendency to treat adult students like children, but their teaching ability speaks for itself.

As I am currently working on my 5th term there and planning at least 2 further courses, I would highly recommend AUA for its ability to teach(at least to student that want to learn). I would also recommend that people only looking for a visa stay away. Almost any other school will make it easier for you to get a visa.

see that kinda sucks....cause i need the visa. But i've taken classes at AUA before and i really enjoyed them, so i'd like to learn there. What are some of the problems you have had getting a visa through them?

Also, i think i took my level 2 course with you in april 2010. You could be another steve though...haha.

If you are one of the people that actually wants to learn Thai and put the time/effort in necessary to learn, then AUA is a great place for you. They can/will get you paperwork for a visa.

I was just making the point that there are many well known "schools" that offer visa's and don't bother to check on whether you show up or that you progress. Anyone looking for just a visa would be much better suited by visiting one of them.

BTW, must be another Steve. I've only been at AUA since Feb 2011.

see that kinda sucks....cause i need the visa. But i've taken classes at AUA before and i really enjoyed them, so i'd like to learn there. What are some of the problems you have had getting a visa through them?

Also, i think i took my level 2 course with you in april 2010. You could be another steve though...haha.

• 2 weeks later...

To those considering Payap as a place to study, after spending a number of months studying there, I have no doubt it's the most effective school here. The teachers are quite well-educated and professional. All of the teachers I studied with spoke English very well, and never had difficulty answering/explaining things to students. Most students attending classes are there because they want to be, which really boosts the learning atmosphere.

However, there were a few things I disliked...

- Admin office never reveals who is teaching the next term.

- They claim the class size is limited to 12 students, but sometimes it goes well over that. And there's an enormous difference between studying in a class of 10 and a class of 20.

- Visa support is expensive.

I want to clarify the visa costs for others, because the website and the admin office were misleading. To obtain a 3-month visa, you need to enroll in 2 successive courses.

First 2 courses + 3 month visa support = 20,200 baht

(15,000 for courses, 500 admin fee, 4700 visa fee)

Then, if you want to extend your visa for another 9 months, you must enroll in at least 2 more successive courses.

Second 2 courses + 9 month visa extension support = 19,700 baht

(15,000 for courses, 4700 visa fee)

Even though you're just getting an extension the second time, they still get you for another 4700. And of course this does not include any actual visa costs at the consulate/immigration. Expensive piece of paper.

Edited by wynzlo

I have not frequented this forum very much recently, but I am considering investigating Thai Language Schools, and I am puzzled by the lack of any commentary on this thread on the Whalen School: has something happened where that school is now not allowed to be discussed here ?

thanks, ~o:37;

Just to update this. i went by AUA today and they told me they aren't giving out year Visas "for awhile" because of some change in director or something. It sounded like bullshit....but that's what they told me.

so since i need my visa before next month.....i guess my options are Pro Language or Walen? what's the best choice, least hassle and i acutally want semi decent classes?

so since i need my visa before next month.....i guess my options are Pro Language or Walen? what's the best choice, least hassle and i acutally want semi decent classes?

Here's the review I wrote earlier this year; the situation is unchanged, to the best of my knowledge.

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4527452

And the follow-up:

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4529602

Short story based on your question: Walen - less hassle. ProLanguage - good classes. That's my opinion based on research and personal experience.

Hope it helps.

Edited by diseq

Here's the review I wrote earlier this year; the situation is unchanged, to the best of my knowledge.

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4527452

And the follow-up:

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4529602

Short story based on your question: Walen - less hassle. ProLanguage - good classes. That's my opinion based on research and personal experience.

Hope it helps.

awesome thanks. That seems to be what i've heard to...but it also seems like when it comes to those two schools it's down to opinion. That's why i wanted to go to AUA cause i've been there before.

anyway. where exactly is walen located? Pro Language is out near Kad Suen Kaew right? I don't wear a helmet (i know stupid) so if i have class in the morning i need to go somewhere i can avoid the cops! also if it's close to central airport that would be good too.