Non Immigrant O Visa Application

I'm off the Vientiene to get a 90 day non immigrant O visa and I just want to check I've got everything I need (most info on the site seems more for those working or wanting a one year extension), I figure I need:

Passport

Photocopies of passport, front and visa page

Laos Visa

Marriage certificate and photocopy

Copy of wifes id card or letter from wife (she will come with me)

Lots of passport photos

Anything else?

Do i need bank statements? If so I only have one 6 months old or can print one off the internet, which are they more likely to go for?

Thanks.

:o

to be on the safe side, make copies of ALL pages of your passport (excl. the blank ones) and sign every page of the copy of course.

also the house registration book of your wife may come in helpfull, or at least a copy.

opalhort

He should only require photos and visa application/fee plus marriage certificate and maybe copy of wife's id card. Believe you are thinking of extension of a visa (where you need certified copies of all kinds of things) instead of application for a visa.

He should only require photos and visa application/fee plus marriage certificate and maybe copy of wife's id card.  Believe you are thinking of extension of a visa (where you need certified copies of all kinds of things) instead of application for a visa.

you are correct, but it can't hurt to have more papers available, esp. house register may be asked for.

every embassy/consulate applies different rules so why not take all the papers which are easy to obtain.

opalhort

Are you sure you need to leave Thailand to get your "O" visa? Yes, there's been a lot on this forum about the requirement to get Non Immigrant visas only out of Thailand at their Embassies or Consulates. But could this be old information? I seem to remember at least one guy on this forum who did succeed in getting his Non Imm "O" in Thailand. And recently I came upon the following online at Thailand's 'oldest law firm.' (But possibly not the greatest -- I wouldn't know.)

Change of Visa

The Thai government gives foreigners who did not get a chance to apply for a Non-Immigrant visa before arriving in Thailand the opportunity to change their visa if they need to stay in Thailand. This procedure may be carried out within the country. An eligible foreigner must have entered with a Tourist or a Transit visa issued by a Thai Embassy or Consulate abroad. The foreigner must apply for a change in type of visa not less than 30 days before the current visa is due to expire. Various documents are needed depending on the purpose of the application for a Non-Immigrant visa.

The above was from page 63 of a well written summary of Thai law. The link is:

http://www.tillekeandgibbins.com/Publicati...cs/taxation.pdf

If you're here on a visa (not the 30-day no-visa-needed entry), then this could work for you. Possibly the law firm has given its best shot in interpreting a losely written piece of legal code, one that's open to a more restrictive interpretation by Immigration Offices. Anyway, it would seem worth while to check out in-country.

Oh, one other thing I saw perusing Google on this subject was that Vientiane, unlike Penang, seems to only issue single entry Non Immigrant visas. Not a problem if you plan to go for the one-year Marriage or Retirement extension. But if this isn't the case, and you don't have any luck getting the visa in Thailand, then Penang would seem a better choice (they do issue multi-entry)

Good luck.