No Aircraft To The North Of Suvarnabhumi?

Bpuumike

I live to the North of Suvarnabhumi and roughly in line with the runway.

As I'm banished to the terrace when smoking I spend a fair few hours idly watching aircraft making their final bank before approach or the first bank turn after take-off.

It occurred to me today that I have seen no aircraft activity at all for about a week now.

My conclusion is that aircraft are being instructed to use the Southern sector, though there are no wind or weather patterns for this.

My guess is that the government does not want 100,000+ passengers per day (total outbound + inbound) to get a true picture of the extent of flooding to the North and West of the city which the lower flight level aerial views would give them.

Any commercial pilots out there to comment?

With satellite images being posted on here and elsewhere, I don't think its a case of hide it from passengers. ................YOU ARE JOKING?

I flew with Thai into Swampy at the weekend and noticed the approach was totally different than normal on the same flight.

The Gov are in deep cr"p Yingluck stated openly on UK TV news think it was Domestic BBC news that NO international business had been affected only 5 days ago!!!!

Believe any of these elite's and you will end up in a box

I live in the On Nut area. I've noticed no change in the flight patterns since the switch to runways 01L and 01R when the northeast monsoon winds started. The aircraft fly over my area from north to south and make a left turn along the coastline and then come in from the south and land. When they take off they have to fly to the north. And when I'm out at night on my balcony I can see the aircraft taking off and flying northbound from BKK. When landing they may also be coming in from the east and then west and turning north to land. Flight paths, "highways" in the sky, are pretty much set in stone. Here's a link to the Bangkok FIR which shows the ATC and the flights arriving into BKK. This was back on 14 Sep and the winds were still from the south or southwest. The flights now would just be reversed on landing and takeoff. I would embed the YouTube link but I'm a semi-Luddite and plead ignorance. :whistling: www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0eOBN9xMJw

Perhaps they are keeping that airspace clear for helicopters, c130's delivering aid etc?

With satelite images being posted on here and elsewhwere, I don't think its a case of hide it from passengers.

The choppers over the city are flying at a much lower level. Haven't seen any C-130's either.

I've flown over flooding in Bangladesh at low level and believe me, the picture you get from the air of the reality is very different to what you imagine from satellite images.

I'm still guessing they don't want a whole lot of international punters having a good look. A number of them will be on business. Imagine any Japanese businessmen getting that view of where their factory's due to be built next year.

Still only a guess but the only reason I can think of.

A possibility worth considering is that since Don Muang is out of service, approaches and departures that pilots and controllers would prefer for Suvarnabhumi are now opened up.

Conversely, with the additional traffic being diverted from Don Muang, it could be that these new approaches and departure allow the facility to better handle the increased traffic.

Or some combination of the two.

I'm about 2km from the end of the west runway and 250-350m east of the south to north flightline - that becomes100-200m when the drift over.

Just looked at google earth and seen a plane caught on camera slightly south west of our place.

Anyway - I'm sure there have been planes taking off south to north for weeks now - everything from small private jets to heavy laden jumbos at all heights and noise levels. Only wish I was imagining it.

With satellite images being posted on here and elsewhere, I don't think its a case of hide it from passengers. ................YOU ARE JOKING?

I flew with Thai into Swampy at the weekend and noticed the approach was totally different than normal on the same flight.

The Gov are in deep cr"p Yingluck stated openly on UK TV news think it was Domestic BBC news that NO international business had been affected only 5 days ago!!!!

"I flew with Thai into Swampy at the weekend and noticed the approach was totally different than normal on the same flight."

Really you noticed a difference in flight path? Like what for example? runways change all the time due to weather and storms not to mention aircraft can be placed in holding patterns when there is heavy traffic

And from this you deduced that its all related to Yingluck? :crazy:

You could be right.

Change of routing would be filed by Air Traffic Control,and they would be prepared in advance

I just checked the latest NOTAMS for VTBS Suvarnabhumi.(Notice to Airmen)

Nothing out of the ordinary there.

Just some ATC measures to speed things up on the ground. Which you would expect with the extra traffic they are handling ex Don Muang.

"I flew with Thai into Swampy at the weekend and noticed the approach was totally different than normal on the same flight."

Really you noticed a difference in flight path? Like what for example? runways change all the time due to weather and storms not to mention aircraft can be placed in holding patterns when there is heavy traffic

Actually Runways don't change, they are very large structures and are pretyy firmly fixed in place, At least I hope so. Perhaps you mean flight paths ??

I flew in on the 27th I did notice we landed from the south, wheaeas I always remember landing from the North. I was paying attention this time as I could point out (roughly) where I lived to the charming young lady sitting next to me, Which I cant normally do as I always try to get a seat on the starboard side of the plane. Then again as I live on Soi Watseewarinoi I do get to observe planes a lot. I have noticed that they dont seem to be making the noisy (for me) approach anymore, but take offs still seem to be heading to the north. I have to leave for work again in 2 weeks (assuming it isnt flooded) So I should get a good view of everything north of Lat Krabang.

Actually Runways don't change, they are very large structures and are pretyy firmly fixed in place, At least I hope so. Perhaps you mean flight paths ??

I flew in on the 27th I did notice we landed from the south, wheaeas I always remember landing from the North. I was paying attention this time as I could point out (roughly) where I lived to the charming young lady sitting next to me, Which I cant normally do as I always try to get a seat on the starboard side of the plane. Then again as I live on Soi Watseewarinoi I do get to observe planes a lot. I have noticed that they dont seem to be making the noisy (for me) approach anymore, but take offs still seem to be heading to the north. I have to leave for work again in 2 weeks (assuming it isnt flooded) So I should get a good view of everything north of Lat Krabang.

"Actually Runways don't change, they are very large structures and are pretyy firmly fixed in place, At least I hope so. Perhaps you mean flight paths ??"

actually what I meant were runway headings eg runway 180 or 090. Flight paths change infinatley so you cant fly a flight path and report it, nor would the tower ask you to fly a 'flight path"