Bmw 320D 2011

bkmbkk

I bought a new 320d SE 2 month ago and is fairly happy with it.

However I was supprised when I 1 day was going to a friends house (which is up a steep hill),. In the wet condition the antispin took over and the car couldent go up the hill.

I pushed the antispin button to off but still the same - the anti spin still had total control over the car - <deleted> ?

After revercing back down and with more speed I finally made up but with a lot of unpleasant antispin control going on.

Anybody had same experience ?

I don't know if I want to upgrade the power yet but if I decide to do it what kind of ICU will be the best ?

Thanks

plenty of excellent german engine electronic tuning, but racechips.de is certanly the cheapest and not seen anyone not happy with it

I assume you switched off the ESP/stability aid, as the anti spin/traction control cant be switched off

assume you are running run flat tyres, and they dont have very good traction

plenty of excellent german engine electronic tuning, but racechips.de is certanly the cheapest and not seen anyone not happy with it

I assume you switched off the ESP/stability aid, as the anti spin/traction control cant be switched off

assume you are running run flat tyres, and they dont have very good traction

yes everything still standard. I will upgrade wheels and tyres as the next thing.

Ok it was ESP I switched off - still pisses me a bit off that with anti spin control the car comes to a halt when it is a bit slippery.

My friend was laughing - his Toyota Vios make it up the hill with wheels spinning and so on but I can't go.

Thanks - I will check out the german sita for ECU upgrade.

Check the tire pressures as there seems to be a thing in Thailand of having the tires over pressured when delivered. If tires are overpressured they will slip badly and give a poor ride, ditto for under pressure.

There was someone on the forum who was selling the Racechip units from memory. I have a Speedkit, also from Germany and there is a guy in Pattaya who is distributing them, contact Speedkit if interested by email and he should come back. From what I understand they are all pretty much the same principle and most people who have the Racechip are happy with that, as I am happy with the Speedkit unit.

Cheers

Sounds like a problem with the DSC system. It shouldn't activate unless the wheels are actually losing traction, for example if you hydroplane. If the Vios could make it up the hill then something is amiss here.

The hill is very steep and the surface slippery and the vios is spinning wheels a lot, but can go because no traction control.

The BMW comes to a halt when the wheels start spinning and half way up this dam_n very steep hill.

I don't even think I will be 100 % ok when I put bigger rims on with good tyres instead of the run flat.

I guess that is just the way it is when I can't switch off traction control.

I should mention there is no problem in general - accleration also in slippery weather is all normal - only this steep hill side to my friends house has caused problems.

Sounds like a problem with the DSC system. It shouldn't activate unless the wheels are actually losing traction, for example if you hydroplane. If the Vios could make it up the hill then something is amiss here.

The hill is very steep and the surface slippery and the vios is spinning wheels a lot, but can go because no traction control.

The BMW comes to a halt when the wheels start spinning and half way up this dam_n very steep hill.

I don't even think I will be 100 % ok when I put bigger rims on with good tyres instead of the run flat.

I guess that is just the way it is when I can't switch off traction control.

I should mention there is no problem in general - accleration also in slippery weather is all normal - only this steep hill side to my friends house has caused problems.

The Vios has to be at least 400KG lighter than your beemer, so even w/out traction control you probably wouldn't make it, by the sounds of it.

Sounds like a job for a 4WD..

I don't know if I want to upgrade the power yet but if I decide to do it what kind of ICU will be the best ?

This may void your BSI and 5 year warranty. :)

320D 2011

Might be a good idea to take it back to the dealer and have then check the traction control.

This may void your BSI and 5 year warranty. :)

320D 2011

Might be a good idea to take it back to the dealer and have then check the traction control.

Ok - piont taken with the power upgrade and warranty - the power standard is also quite impressive.

I thought traction control was to stop the wheels spinning ? That is excatly what it does in my case - BMW can possibly confirm that as well.

Edited by bkmbkk

I thought traction control was to stop the wheels spinning ? That is excatly what it does in my case - BMW can possibly confirm that as well.

Yep, that's what it does :)

As noted earlier, it's most likely just the extra weight your car has, mixed with not much more traction that's behind the reason why you can't make it up..

Yep, that's what it does :)

As noted earlier, it's most likely just the extra weight your car has, mixed with not much more traction that's behind the reason why you can't make it up..

I suspect that the traction control could be kicking in a bit too early. If you have it checked at the dealer they will tell you if it needs to be recalibrated. :)

I believe both BMW and Mercedes-Benz don't let you turn off ESP totally, some electronic is always on.

I used to drive a Merceds-Benz E55 AMG back in Europe and as soon as the streets were a bit wet (or had snow) the car pretty much came to a stand-still or I could take off in other way than snail pace. That really pi***d me off and I finally traded the car in for an AUDI RS6 with permanent 4-wheel drive. Problem solved! Especially in winter time, when all the Benz and Bimmer were stranded, I had a big grin on my face.

I am still faithful to the 4-wheel drive Audi here in Thailand, although I didn't try it in the flood. Instead my in-laws brought me a pick-up truck with 4-wheel drive. Quite an experience for me.

As my Soi is under 30 cm of water, pretty much the only way to get out to the dry.