Accident In Chaweng 10 Mins Ago

just witness a accident out side the petrol station luckily the guy did have his helmet on so fingers crossed i waited and the police asked me what happened then came back to me and said i could go.then on the way back to lamai truck overtakes me and others on the wrong side of the road and on a bend with speed hits a car and the car much be a right off.crazy are what, hope the guy is ok.

well of course i hope any innocent person involved is ok but honestly that just sounds like any other day on samui's roads. you have to be careful here.

i've seen 3 accidents on the same drive between the bophut traffic light and the maenam market. 3 separate accidents within just a few minutes.

whoever was driving the truck trying to pass on a blind turn however, i hope he or she falls off the face of the earth.

hi doing ok, i know you are new to samui, i give you a little bit of advice, when you see an accident, the best thing to do is leave the scene,as it has been known that whoever caused the accident ,they have blamed other people ie thai have accident they will blame the farang, even if you werent there and came afterwards,its there word against yours, and you lose,its the way of life here

Hope the people are OK. You have to be very aware of others here. Just had a taxi pull out from the left on me,I'm on the bike, had to take evasive action, so I blew the Horn at him , he chased me down the road trying to run me off, what a jerk.

hi doing ok, i know you are new to samui, i give you a little bit of advice, when you see an accident, the best thing to do is leave the scene,as it has been known that whoever caused the accident ,they have blamed other people ie thai have accident they will blame the farang, even if you werent there and came afterwards,its there word against yours, and you lose,its the way of life here

Are you speaking from experience?

But you are 100% right and GOOD ADVICE!

My car got hit by a girl who was riding her motorbike whilst taking on her phone, then I had to pay her 500 Bht for the damaged to her bike. I just paid it before the police rolled up looking for there cut!

Samui is a cross between the Frogger, Fast & The Furious, Planet of the Apes and Gilligan's Island......welcome to Paradise Island.

You are joking, right?

i couldn't believe my eyes when the pick up done what he did,but in Chaweng there was a lot of people about so i guess i was ok for not been blamed just glad he had his helmet on saying that they are not that good of standed but better then nothing i guess to.

hope you are save who ever you are.

You are joking, right?

Not a joke, never stop.

Also if you try and give first aid and the person later dies family can also sue you for practising medicine in Thailand without education and work permit.

You are joking, right?

Not a joke, never stop.

Also if you try and give first aid and the person later dies family can also sue you for practising medicine in Thailand without education and work permit.

Yes happened to a some one I knew, he actually moved the guy that badly injured in a bike accident out of harms way at night time. He was then for some of his back injury apparently......$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It doen't mean us are right and the Thai's are wrong it's just the way it happens here!

Samui is a cross between the Frogger, Fast & The Furious, Planet of the Apes and Gilligan's Island......welcome to Paradise Island.

haha, good point but u forget Mos Esley from Star Wars, sometimes i feel also this place is where all the crap of the universe want to meet, haha

anyway, have to be very careful, all the time look around, expect the unexpected and be cautious...

i know its not the best advice for driving fast but sometimes i feel safer if i pass on other cars faster and keep alone between the congested traffic so i reduce the number of possible accidents by dont let them around me...

typical bad drivers are: minivans go too fast and close, big trucks similar just more scary and smokie, taxies go too slow and stopping unexpected, thai young guys going crazy, old mamas dont look around, ladies on the phone, man looking women, farang drive in middle of road, smokie two-stroke bikes pass fast so u get bad smell instantly...

anyway, its still a paradise, its not a complain, just reality..

take care, hope for the best for the ones involved.. i heard from a nurse everyday somebody die in samui by accident.

guess as a newbie stopping is normal thing to do, i dont care what the circumstances would never stop. all witness and cops get a kick back for calling ambulances, % of the final bill so nothing you can do by staying and getting involved in what could be a long drawn out civil case. ambulances will be there in minutes. luckily you had a Thai driving licence other wise you could have been in bother. obviously you have other wise you would not have given statement to cops. seen so many bodies and bits of bodies dont even look anymore crazy place to drive.

You are joking, right?

Sadly not :( (And I speak from a fair amount of experience.)

I have witnessed quite a lot of accidents in Thailand (most on Samui) . However, I find it very difficult to drive on if there is no one helping, especially if I am the only person in the area.

I have been accused of causing the accident a number of times, to the extent that once the police were called to arrest me. (I was not the first person at the scene on that one - I was just the first person to stop so that my car would stop someone else from running the poor guy over as he was unconcious in the middle of the road. Blood coming from his head.)

However, I never give first aid - I just call for help, move debris and try and make sure that the injured person does not get hit by anyone else.

A friend of mine drove around an accident only to have his number taken and then to get a call from the police. He was accused of causing it. A Thai guy said that he saw my friend cause it.

The fact is that this is a Thai thing. (Thais getting money from foreigners.) Not just a Samui thing. However, the roads here and the poor standing of driving by both Thais and tourists means that there are more accidents.

One comment about the police on Samui - they have always been fair to me and have soon sorted out who was lying and who was not. This is my experience anyway.

Hope that the injured folk get well soon. (Divine retribution will sort out the pratt drivers!)

You are joking, right?

Sadly not :( (And I speak from a fair amount of experience.)

I have witnessed quite a lot of accidents in Thailand (most on Samui) . However, I find it very difficult to drive on if there is no one helping, especially if I am the only person in the area.

I have been accused of causing the accident a number of times, to the extent that once the police were called to arrest me. (I was not the first person at the scene on that one - I was just the first person to stop so that my car would stop someone else from running the poor guy over as he was unconcious in the middle of the road. Blood coming from his head.)

However, I never give first aid - I just call for help, move debris and try and make sure that the injured person does not get hit by anyone else.

A friend of mine drove around an accident only to have his number taken and then to get a call from the police. He was accused of causing it. A Thai guy said that he saw my friend cause it.

The fact is that this is a Thai thing. (Thais getting money from foreigners.) Not just a Samui thing. However, the roads here and the poor standing of driving by both Thais and tourists means that there are more accidents.

One comment about the police on Samui - they have always been fair to me and have soon sorted out who was lying and who was not. This is my experience anyway.

Hope that the injured folk get well soon. (Divine retribution will sort out the pratt drivers!)

They don't care who from whom the money comes. Don't believe that behaviour is reserved for foreigners.

Here is an email not a PM from a member, thought I'll share, makes a lot of sense:

Hi Rooo,

I adopted the practice more than 30 years ago of carrying a camera in my car at all times for the sole purpose of obtaining evidence if I was involved in or witnessed an accident. As technology evolved I switched to disposable cameras (replaced annually) & later replaced them altogether with the camera/video in my phones (note the plural as in this scenario there’s a good chance that at least one of them will have power in the battery when needed).

On the few occasions that I’ve needed to I’ve taken an inward 360 showing the car & an outward 360 showing the surrounding area, along with discreet mugshot(s) & VRN of the other party. This blows “rent-a-mob” out of the water as they’re often nowhere to be seen in the photos & therefore cannot has seen any accident!

I recently saw a clip on youtube where a cyclist in London used video evidence recorded via helmetcam to prove he had been unseated & assaulted in a road-rage incident. I’d ideally like cameras on my car, given the standard of driving here…

Just my 2pJ

Here is an email not a PM from a member, thought I'll share, makes a lot of sense:

Hi Rooo,

I adopted the practice more than 30 years ago of carrying a camera in my car at all times for the sole purpose of obtaining evidence if I was involved in or witnessed an accident. As technology evolved I switched to disposable cameras (replaced annually) & later replaced them altogether with the camera/video in my phones (note the plural as in this scenario there's a good chance that at least one of them will have power in the battery when needed).

On the few occasions that I've needed to I've taken an inward 360 showing the car & an outward 360 showing the surrounding area, along with discreet mugshot(s) & VRN of the other party. This blows "rent-a-mob" out of the water as they're often nowhere to be seen in the photos & therefore cannot has seen any accident!

I recently saw a clip on youtube where a cyclist in London used video evidence recorded via helmetcam to prove he had been unseated & assaulted in a road-rage incident. I'd ideally like cameras on my car, given the standard of driving here…

Just my 2pJ

Good call!

aph theei

Hi Rooo,

I adopted the practice more than 30 years ago of carrying a camera in my car at all times for the sole purpose of obtaining evidence if I was involved in or witnessed an accident. As technology evolved I switched to disposable cameras (replaced annually) & later replaced them altogether with the camera/video in my phones (note the plural as in this scenario there's a good chance that at least one of them will have power in the battery when needed).

On the few occasions that I've needed to I've taken an inward 360 showing the car & an outward 360 showing the surrounding area, along with discreet mugshot(s) & VRN of the other party. This blows "rent-a-mob" out of the water as they're often nowhere to be seen in the photos & therefore cannot has seen any accident!

I recently saw a clip on youtube where a cyclist in London used video evidence recorded via helmetcam to prove he had been unseated & assaulted in a road-rage incident. I'd ideally like cameras on my car, given the standard of driving here…

Just my 2pJ

Very good advice. I use my mobile phone camera. It is amazing how many 'accusers' disappear when you photograph their faces and vehicle plates. I am not discreet about taking their photos - as soon as they see the camera they go quiet.

In fairness - I have also had support from some locals when the 'rent-a-mob' start shouting. This is the exception though.

You are joking, right?

Not a joke, never stop.

I would say you are 100% correct.

aph theei

Hi Rooo,

Just my 2pJ

Very good advice. I use my mobile phone camera. It is amazing how many 'accusers' disappear when you photograph their faces and vehicle plates. I am not discreet about taking their photos - as soon as they see the camera they go quiet.

In fairness - I have also had support from some locals when the 'rent-a-mob' start shouting. This is the exception though.

yes first thing u should do is take a pic of the persons registration in case they decide to shoot off !

then pics of the driver.

If an acccident involves injury then both parties in the Thai Law must leave the vehicles exactly as they are after the crash do not even remove the keys until the police come and clear everything.

If the accident does not invlove injury then u can move the cars or bikes to the side and try to clear.

Take photos of the scene incse the other party moves also when the police are trying to work out who was wrong if u know u r in the right then look for the nearest 7/11 they havecctv outside their shops and their is a 7/11 and family marrt every 2 meters in Thailand so if u r on the ring road then chances are u r on telly somewehre.

You are joking, right?

park your bike right out of reach if u want to hang around just to be safe

i couldn't believe my eyes when the pick up done what he did,but in Chaweng there was a lot of people about so i guess i was ok for not been blamed just glad he had his helmet on saying that they are not that good of standed but better then nothing i guess to.

hope you are save who ever you are.

Are you sure it was a guy who has been hit by the car?

My sister in law has been hit yesterday at the same time at the same point i guess.

Please can you sent me some more details by pm?