Bangkok: Three Million Tonnes Of Garbage, Dirty Water To Deal With

webfact

Many micro organisms will survive brief boiling, you should boil for 5 minutes. If you use the type of kettle with auto shut off, leave the top open, then it will keep boiling. Boiling will not remove inorganic pollutants. For pure water collect the output from your aircon and melt the ice buildup in your fridge.

Collect water from your air conditioner, that is what I posted a while back, seems some people read what I say..ok here is another tip for purifying water ya may get from one of the vending water dispensers..

For those chemist get your pen and paper ready... here it is NaClo2, the name is Sodium ChloriTE, not sodium chloride (table salt) in a small plastic teaspoon, no metal put 6 drops of NaClo2 aprox 22.4% to 30 drops of lime or lemon juice...when let stand be careful to breath the Chlorine gas produced, important to let this process brew for 3 minutes..a yellow colour will appear after the solution is combined. FYI there is no chlorine in the liquid, just the gas produced the liquid now is called Chlorine dioxide, now you must use this product shelf life is limited to 1 hr, get the water you stored from the air condition that is now boiled and cool, add this Chlorine dioxide to it and drink it..ya can add some apple juice by NO VITAMIN C added a no no. Now you have just taken some 1000 times stronger than any "Aerobic Oxygen liquid" purchased at any health store, for only pennies!

I trust someone will forward this information to the Health minister soon: It is more effective as a disinfectant than chlorine in most circumstances against water borne pathogenic microbes such as viruses,[18] bacteria and protozoa – including the cysts of Giardia and the oocysts of Cryptosporidium.[10]:4-20–4-21

The use of chlorine dioxide in water treatment leads to the formation of the by-product chlorite which is currently limited to a maximum of 1 ppm in drinking water in the USA.[10]:4-33 This EPA standard limits the use of chlorine dioxide in the USA to relatively high quality water or water which is to be treated with iron based coagulants (Iron can reduce chlorite to chloride).[citation needed]

It can also be used for air disinfection,[19] and was the principal agent used in the decontamination of buildings in the United States after the 2001 anthrax attacks.[20] After the disaster of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, Louisiana and the surrounding Gulf Coast, chlorine dioxide has been used to eradicate dangerous mold from houses inundated by the flood-water.[21]

Good health to you...

Yet another example of extremely irresponsible posting from a wannabe amateur chemist. You obviously haven't even bothered to read your own post and edit it for mistakes, or are you seriously suggesting that one should "let stand be careful to breath the Chlorine gas produced". Might one presume that the rest of your instructions are equally error strewn leading to severe consequences if anyone is foolish enough to mess around with potentially lethal chemicals if prepared incorrectly.

My recommendation to everyone is to stick to the simple common sense advice quoted multiple times in this thread; if you have to drink water you are unsure about the quality of, then make sure it is boiled for at least 5 minutes first.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many micro organisms will survive brief boiling, you should boil for 5 minutes. If you use the type of kettle with auto shut off, leave the top open, then it will keep boiling. Boiling will not remove inorganic pollutants. For pure water collect the output from your aircon and melt the ice buildup in your fridge.

Collect water from your air conditioner, that is what I posted a while back, seems some people read what I say..ok here is another tip for purifying water ya may get from one of the vending water dispensers..

For those chemist get your pen and paper ready... here it is NaClo2, the name is Sodium ChloriTE, not sodium chloride (table salt) in a small plastic teaspoon, no metal put 6 drops of NaClo2 aprox 22.4% to 30 drops of lime or lemon juice...when let stand be careful to breath the Chlorine gas produced, important to let this process brew for 3 minutes..a yellow colour will appear after the solution is combined. FYI there is no chlorine in the liquid, just the gas produced the liquid now is called Chlorine dioxide, now you must use this product shelf life is limited to 1 hr, get the water you stored from the air condition that is now boiled and cool, add this Chlorine dioxide to it and drink it..ya can add some apple juice by NO VITAMIN C added a no no. Now you have just taken some 1000 times stronger than any "Aerobic Oxygen liquid" purchased at any health store, for only pennies!

I trust someone will forward this information to the Health minister soon: It is more effective as a disinfectant than chlorine in most circumstances against water borne pathogenic microbes such as viruses,[18] bacteria and protozoa – including the cysts of Giardia and the oocysts of Cryptosporidium.[10]:4-20–4-21

The use of chlorine dioxide in water treatment leads to the formation of the by-product chlorite which is currently limited to a maximum of 1 ppm in drinking water in the USA.[10]:4-33 This EPA standard limits the use of chlorine dioxide in the USA to relatively high quality water or water which is to be treated with iron based coagulants (Iron can reduce chlorite to chloride).[citation needed]

It can also be used for air disinfection,[19] and was the principal agent used in the decontamination of buildings in the United States after the 2001 anthrax attacks.[20] After the disaster of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, Louisiana and the surrounding Gulf Coast, chlorine dioxide has been used to eradicate dangerous mold from houses inundated by the flood-water.[21]

Good health to you...

Yet another example of extremely irresponsible posting from a wannabe amateur chemist. You obviously haven't even bothered to read your own post and edit it for mistakes, or are you seriously suggesting that one should "let stand be careful to breath the Chlorine gas produced". Might one presume that the rest of your instructions are equally error strewn leading to severe consequences if anyone is foolish enough to mess around with potentially lethal chemicals if prepared incorrectly.

My recommendation to everyone is to stick to the simple common sense advice quoted multiple times in this thread; if you have to drink water you are unsure about the quality of, then make sure it is boiled for at least 5 minutes first.

Just to add , sodium chlorite has the same toxic level as sodium chlorate, 10 to 15 gram can be lethal. Sodium chlorate is a very effective weedkiller , don't really think it's a good idea to pratt around with either.

Can someone help me out please I was looking for the topic concerning 3 Million Tons of garbage, and appear to have taken a wrong turn and got stuck in this debate about the symptoms of drowning.:blink: I have taken a wrong turn somewhere.:D

You did say you were looking for garbage. :lol:

I think what he is looking for is somewhere back between the heading and the 4th post. I think this is now about chemistry or cooking and baking not to sure.;)

Can someone help me out please I was looking for the topic concerning 3 Million Tons of garbage, and appear to have taken a wrong turn and got stuck in this debate about the symptoms of drowning.:blink: I have taken a wrong turn somewhere.:D

You did say you were looking for garbage. :lol:

I think what he is looking for is somewhere back between the heading and the 4th post. I think this is now about chemistry or cooking and baking not to sure.;)

I'm gonna hang around just in case they stumble upon the cure for cancer. :rolleyes:

Edited by Payboy

"The department surveyed groundwater in 18 spots and found that 6 per cent was poor, 11 per cent was fair and 6 per cent was of good quality".

I'm no math whiz but shouldn't these numbers add up to 100 per cent? huh.gif

Thanks so much for posting..you make me laugh at the moment after I had to work today...plus I am worst when it comes to Math..

I would urge everyone not to drink water without boiling it...unless people have money to buy bottles water...hope Beer Singha gives them for free...my take and opinion.

Boiling water that has been highly contaminated with waste is not the best idea. Though boiling can kill the bacteria, the high ammonia, nitrite/nitrates etc will still be there, not very good for your body.

Yes it is going to take a lot of hard work and posative attitude to clear up all the mess, I just hope for the people's sake there is no western attitude to add to the disaster.

Care to remind us what is western attitude?

Usually us, westerner, we use to plan ahead, we also to prepare contingency plans (as it is obvious we are only humans, so prone to errors and forgetting stuffs when planning).

We also usually do not hide behind fake statements (that Iwil not call total BS, because I would like to keep it polite).

Most of important, when we are humbled by a natural castastrophe, we do accept that fact and we do ask/beg for foreign expertises (recent examples would be New Orleans for USA, and the cyclone that crossed european France in 2000, that for 2 of the most 'arrogant' countries of the world)

I would tend to believe some western attitudes would have reduce the scope of the actual flood (that is nowhere a natural castastrophe by itslef, but a human failure if not even a human deed); and would certainly help in mitigating it in the present and near future.

Even us french would be glad and thankfull if such flood was hitting us (let say such phenomena might happend in the French RIviera , in the city of Nice specifically) and the US Navy was proposing a aircraft carrier for help.

My take on the post on "Western Attitude" is somewhat different. Perhaps "...western attitude to add to the disaster" is a concern that would be born from reading the sort of responses predominantly posted in this forum during recent weeks.

Watching the water in Khlong SamSen along SamSen rd. I noticed the very dark colour of the water, the awfull smell, lots of garbage stopped by a floating barrage, fish jumping maybe for a breath of fresh air :ermm:

Edited by rubl

Yes it is going to take a lot of hard work and posative attitude to clear up all the mess, I just hope for the people's sake there is no western attitude to add to the disaster.

Usually us, westerner, we use to plan ahead, we also to prepare contingency plans (as it is obvious we are only humans, so prone to errors and forgetting stuffs when planning).

We also usually do not hide behind fake statements (that Iwil not call total BS, because I would like to keep it polite).

Most of important, when we are humbled by a natural castastrophe, we do accept that fact and we do ask/beg for foreign expertises (recent examples would be New Orleans for USA, and the cyclone that crossed european France in 2000, that for 2 of the most 'arrogant' countries of the world)

I would tend to believe some western attitudes would have reduce the scope of the actual flood (that is nowhere a natural castastrophe by itslef, but a human failure if not even a human deed); and would certainly help in mitigating it in the present and near future.

Even us french would be glad and thankfull if such flood was hitting us (let say such phenomena might happend in the French RIviera , in the city of Nice specifically) and the US Navy was proposing a aircraft carrier for help.

Yes i would like to know what is meant by "western attitude " also , you must remember that many westerners come to Thailand for a holiday or to settle there and we do not make any derogative remarks about Thai people or the Thai government i know i always treat the Thai people with respect because they show me respect, maybe because i am married to a Thai or maybe just because i love Thailand, which incidentally i class as my home, my heart and sympathies go out to all the Thai people at this moment in time and i think should all those people who degrade Thailand on here should stop decrying the government and get off your lazy backsides and help out with the situation as it is. i have seen young men to lazy to help build the dams at Thammasat resccue centre and i have also seen old women and very young boys help also, you should all pull together and help each other not just mouth off at everything that doesn't suit you . Enough said

Yes i would like to know what is meant by "western attitude " also , you must remember that many westerners come to Thailand for a holiday or to settle there and we do not make any derogative remarks about Thai people or the Thai government i know i always treat the Thai people with respect because they show me respect, maybe because i am married to a Thai or maybe just because i love Thailand, which incidentally i class as my home, my heart and sympathies go out to all the Thai people at this moment in time and i think should all those people who degrade Thailand on here should stop decrying the government and get off your lazy backsides and help out with the situation as it is. i have seen young men to lazy to help build the dams at Thammasat resccue centre and i have also seen old women and very young boys help also, you should all pull together and help each other not just mouth off at everything that doesn't suit you . Enough said

And if you do not like what i have said TOUGH get of your backside and do something about the situation and then you will know that i am not referring to you.

And if you do not like what i have said TOUGH get of your backside and do something about the situation and then you will know that i am not referring to you.

But I don't have a work permit.

Take the ice out of your fridge!!!

You must be joking. Ok so theoretically it is distilled water but by the time any reasonable quantity has built up it is filthy and smells........

Nice of the authorities to tell us that of all their tests 6% was of good quality. lets all shake hands have a group hug and wonder which idiot is suppressing this information..

WHERE IS THE CLEAN WATER? WHERE IS THE CONTAMINATED WATER? Oh its a secret and the government doesnt want to depress the people in the bad areas. The government is already depressing me, so why not give us some information

What is that left handed remark to MEAN???

Do you really need it explained to you? If so, good chance it's you he's talking about!

Danlo....

Usually us, westerner, we use to plan ahead, we also to prepare contingency plans (as it is obvious we are only humans, so prone to errors and forgetting stuffs when planning). ......BLAH BLAH BLAH....

Yes i would like to know what is meant by "western attitude " also , you must remember that many westerners come to Thailand for a holiday or to settle there and we do not make any derogative remarks about Thai people or the ...............should all those people who degrade Thailand on here should stop decrying the government and get off your lazy backsides and help out with the situation as it is. i have seen young men to lazy to help build the dams at Thammasat resccue centre and i have also seen old women and very young boys help also, you should all pull together and help each other not just mouth off at everything that doesn't suit you . Enough said

But I don't have a work permit.

Hahahahaha, LMAO!

Accurately candid comments sure bring the old women out, don't they?

A "Western attitude?" Let's try to define that. Hmm. Would that be a rational attitude, or a sensible attitude unfettered by polite denial and the silly niceties that obfuscate and procrastinate rather than address actionable approaches to the given crisis? Would that be an attitude that is at once concerned about placing blame AND saving face? Would that be an attitude that accepts offers of assistance without hesitation over political fears and expediency? Would that be an attitude that sacrifices poor communities over rich ones while knowing full well that in order to mitigate flooding of this magnitude, ALL communities, rich and poor, would eventually get hammered? Would not 10 to 20 cms. of water spread evenly throughout all of central Bangkok have been been a little more equitable (if not inconvenient, untidy or otherwise annoying to tourists and commerce) over decisions that allowed as much as 3 meters of flood waters in one place while completely dry in another? Or is that too alien and Western an attitude? I'm all for the hard work and "posative" (sic) attitude, I'm just not convinced, Danlo, that your bigoted remark and expressed attitude isn't already adding to the disaster. "For the people's sake," a whole spectrum of attitudes are essential to, as you put it, "clear up the mess."

Good health to you...

So for all those 2meters deep in water at the moment can they pick all that stuff up at the 7/11 then? Or will street vendors, now operating out of rubber boats be more likely to have it?rolleyes.gif

Anybody else got any more practical tips?

You maybe interested in this,, saw an interview on a Thai TV channel very late last night with an Netherlands embassy offical, he said the Netherland and Thailands Water management engineers have been consulting with each other for some years now, he also said no one or no government could have stopped this huge flood, he also said all countries learn from disasters like this flood, and that the Thai could have not done a lot more to lessen the affect of this huge flood, as for the amount of garbage any large city would have the same problem, if some of the posters on TV want to experance really dirty cities there are many that would make Bangkok look like a pristine paradise.

I experanced a flood in Australia and the worst thing was the stench, I dont thing Australia is a dirty place, but all floods leave garbage, rats, cockroachs and the like after the flood is gone.

Reading some of the post on TV I don't understand why some people live in Thailand, If I had the same outlook on Thailand I would be on the first plane out, just think about going through every day with all that hate and loathing, why do they do it to themself,???

I think the answer you are looking for, in a word, is "idiots".

A "Western attitude?" Let's try to define that. Hmm. Would that be a rational attitude, or a sensible attitude unfettered by polite denial and the silly niceties that obfuscate and procrastinate rather than address actionable approaches to the given crisis? Would that be an attitude that is at once concerned about placing blame AND saving face? Would that be an attitude that accepts offers of assistance without hesitation over political fears and expediency? Would that be an attitude that sacrifices poor communities over rich ones while knowing full well that in order to mitigate flooding of this magnitude, ALL communities, rich and poor, would eventually get hammered? Would not 10 to 20 cms. of water spread evenly throughout all of central Bangkok have been been a little more equitable (if not inconvenient, untidy or otherwise annoying to tourists and commerce) over decisions that allowed as much as 3 meters of flood waters in one place while completely dry in another? Or is that too alien and Western an attitude? I'm all for the hard work and "posative" (sic) attitude, I'm just not convinced, Danlo, that your bigoted remark and expressed attitude isn't already adding to the disaster. "For the people's sake," a whole spectrum of attitudes are essential to, as you put it, "clear up the mess."

Case and point, 555+

And thanks for that, because you're spot on. If blame must be laid, it must be laid at the doorstep of excessive Thai nationalism and xenophobic arrogance coupled with a refusal to do advance contingency planning ("If it hasn't happened yet, why worry?"). Everything is handled on an ad hoc fire fight basis. Instead of preventing the fires, they wait until they spring up randomly and fight each one as it comes. It's laid back and not all that bad sometimes. I live here and love it. But sometimes these attitudes lead to disaster and this is one of those times. Things will recover and nothing will change. Life goes on. But even so, Danlo is still a prick.

Haha, and you're another expat genius of the geriatric female persuasion....

Be very careful if you start to drink ultra pure water such as distilled or dionised it does not contain any bacteria, which you need to digest, and technically you can 'drown' with it. There are many documented cases of people dying from drinking pure water for too long.

I guess you could buy stuff like instant ice tea or disolvable vitamin tablets or even Alka Selzer to ad to the destilled water. I think that helps a little to ad minarals and (i guess) bacteria.

Just don't ad too much as the stuff also contains a lot of sugar...

Anybody ever see the movie Dumb & Dumber?.....

;-)

"The department surveyed groundwater in 18 spots and found that 6 per cent was poor, 11 per cent was fair and 6 per cent was of good quality".

I'm no math whiz but shouldn't these numbers add up to 100 per cent? huh.gif

They dropped the calculator into the flood water.

Your comment was all good and right in my eyes, until that BS about "spreading the water evenly" came up.

There is no way in heaven or hell that would work, because Bangkok is not flat!

Be very careful if you start to drink ultra pure water such as distilled or dionised it does not contain any bacteria, which you need to digest, and technically you can 'drown' with it. There are many documented cases of people dying from drinking pure water for too long.

I guess you could buy stuff like instant ice tea or disolvable vitamin tablets or even Alka Selzer to ad to the destilled water. I think that helps a little to ad minarals and (i guess) bacteria.

Just don't ad too much as the stuff also contains a lot of sugar...

Anybody ever see the movie Dumb & Dumber?.....

;-)

Your point being.....what exactly?

Good health to you...

I doubt if many people can get their hands on chlorite tablets or Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate tablets or any of the other common water purifying tablets, Thais are not into camping and similar sports, I have never seen any shop specialising in such. A method which is possible is to add a few teaspoons of bleach (sodium hypochlorite) to the water then after 30 minutes heat the water to drive off the chlorine. Dry bleach tablets (calcium hypochlorite) can also be used. Some people might be homemade wine or beer brewers, they might have "Camden" (sodium metabisulphite) tablets these can also be safely used. Any mothers with babies who use "Milton" which is basically weak bleach can use this.

Finally silver salts will kill all microbes, as the pH of this water is far from 7 letting any silver object stand in the water will purify it over time, enough silver ions will enter the water to do the trick. As chemical action increase with surface area, taking a nail file to the silver object to make some silver dust.

Take the ice out of your fridge!!!

You must be joking. Ok so theoretically it is distilled water but by the time any reasonable quantity has built up it is filthy and smells........

Nice of the authorities to tell us that of all their tests 6% was of good quality. lets all shake hands have a group hug and wonder which idiot is suppressing this information..

WHERE IS THE CLEAN WATER? WHERE IS THE CONTAMINATED WATER? Oh its a secret and the government doesnt want to depress the people in the bad areas. The government is already depressing me, so why not give us some information

I guess you don't clean your fridge very often thenbiggrin.gif

Ok clean it now, then run the fridge for a few hours with its door open, you will get clean, non smelly ice build up.