Bangkok: Further Flooding On Rama II Road

webfact

Further flooding on Rama II road

The Nation

30169426-01.jpg

The government has decided to allow areas northward of Rama II Road in western Bangkok to be further flooded, instead of blasting open many sections of road in order to allow flood water to head south into estuaries.

The decision follows a brief dispute when a proposal to blast open channels was floated last week.

Transport Minister Sukampol Suwannathat yesterday said Route 340 (Bang Bua Thong-Suphan Buri), which is an alternative route to the South in place of Rama II when it is flooded, would be preserved in an all-out effort, which would involve another 100,000 sandbags and numerous 2.5-tonne bags, after many sections had been inundated.

"Flood water should be allowed to flow to sea outlets [through bridges and regular channels] the way it naturally does," he said, adding that the efforts to preserve Route 340 would be completed within four or five days.

At an earlier meeting of the government Flood Reliefs Operations Centre (FROC), Sukampol briefed officials that the use of large sandbags in northern Bangkok had proved effective, resulting in an average water-level reduction of around 30 centimetres in flooded areas.

A new 10-kilometre large-bag barrier from Bang Sue to the Taling Chan area is being studied and construction will begin once the idea is approved by the FROC, he said.

The waiving of expressway fees in all directions is possible, but contracts need to be carefully studied as concessions in certain sections belong to private companies. The extension of current toll-fee waivers is also likely, the minister added.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said Suvarnabhumi Airport should escape inundation, while the government and the military would do their best to fight off flood water threatening Bang Chan and Lat Krabang industrial estates in Eastern Bangkok.

Defence Minister Yuthasak Sasiprapha yesterday kicked off a new plan which made the ministry and the military the joint centres for post-flood measures, including the restoration of flood-damaged industrial parks and employment.

He said the military was working hard on flood prevention at Bang Chan and Lat Krabang estates, as well as elsewhere.

"We need to save both estates, or we lose credibility," he added.

Meanwhile another dispute between flood victims and officials at Klong Bueng Khwang water gate is now over, with the gate remaining at a height of 1 metre, and not 2m as demanded by locals who launched a protest on Sunday.

The residents will be given 1,100 survival kits, mobile toilet units, and have been promised more assistance in exchange for them giving up their demand and ending the protest.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-08

So can anyone confirm or deny the road from BKK to Hua Hin the no.35 is now impassable? or is this just a stock photo? Although I do see it is saying North of Rama 2 at the moment

Edited by travelmann

So can anyone confirm or deny the road from BKK to Hua Hin the no.35 is now impassable? or is this just a stock photo? Although I do see it is saying North of Rama 2 at the moment

Travelmann

I have, in the last hour, driven from Sathorn to Samut Sakhon using the Chaloem Maha Nakhon Tollway / bridge and them on Rama 2 (35) with no signs of any flooding. Traffic was light compared to normal.

Travelmann

I have, in the last hour, driven from Sathorn to Samut Sakhon using the Chaloem Maha Nakhon Tollway / bridge and them on Rama 2 (35) with no signs of any flooding. Traffic was light compared to normal.

Thanks for the update FRR

He has finally realized that the only way that he could stop the water from flooding Rama II is if he were related to Moses. So now he is saying that he is going to let it happen naturally. He has even proposed an alternate route, but this guy needs a geography lesson. Suphanburi is 100 kilometers north of Bangkok not south. Go north to go south? But you can't get there anyway. The junction where 340 intersects with the outer ring road,90, is flooded along with the outer ring road, 340 and any road heading in that direction. I have a house in Bang Bua Thong and there is 1.5 meters of slimmy water inside. How can the residents of Bangkok even attempt to use his alternate route. Maybe he is starting a "water taxi" service. What a crock of FROC!

Meanwhile another dispute between flood victims and officials at Klong Bueng Khwang water gate is now over, with the gate remaining at a height of 1 metre, and not 2m as demanded by locals who launched a protest on Sunday.

The residents will be given 1,100 survival kits, mobile toilet units, and have been promised more assistance in exchange for them giving up their demand and ending the protest

Had these people and indeed many others in similar situations been looked after in the first place with the basic necessities the sluice gate situation would probably not have arisen, or at worst the conflict would have been minimal thus lessening the extension of yet more flood damage.

Again a fine indicator that the authorities haven't got a clue of what to do, how to do it and where to do it.

Edited by metisdead
Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes,

Travelmann

Just past Rama II form Samutsakhon into BKK. No flooding yet!

He has finally realized that the only way that he could stop the water from flooding Rama II is if he were related to Moses. So now he is saying that he is going to let it happen naturally. He has even proposed an alternate route, but this guy needs a geography lesson. Suphanburi is 100 kilometers north of Bangkok not south. Go north to go south? But you can't get there anyway. The junction where 340 intersects with the outer ring road,90, is flooded along with the outer ring road, 340 and any road heading in that direction. I have a house in Bang Bua Thong and there is 1.5 meters of slimmy water inside. How can the residents of Bangkok even attempt to use his alternate route. Maybe he is starting a "water taxi" service. What a crock of FROC!

My house is still dry.

Is it too late to convert to Christian? If I believe in Moses, will he protect my house?

If yes, all Thais should convert to Christian to save Thailand.

Travelmann

I also can confirm that the photo is not the Rama II road, but somewhere a road NORTH of Rama II (as is said in the article but people have to read this article twice as again press-confusion seems to me deliberate and on purpose). I personally don't believe that Rama II will be closed although light flooding (overtopping) may occur (something like 10 to 20 cm but then probably over long distances).

Edited by dude007

My house is still dry.

Is it too late to convert to Christian? If I believe in Moses, will he protect my house?

Moses was Jew (his story is reverred by Jews, Christians and Muslims).

Jesus Christ (who was also Jew, by the way) could walk on water, which is probably more useful right now.

Yes, I just got back from there about 5 minutes ago. It was as dry as a bone.

Travelmann

I used to drive up that road regularly. It's just off Rama 2 on your way to Central Rama 2 (heading towards Rama 9 bridge).

Travelmann

I also can confirm that the photo is not the Rama II road, but somewhere a road NORTH of Rama II (as is said in the article but people have to read this article twice as again press-confusion seems to me deliberate and on purpose). I personally don't believe that Rama II will be closed although light flooding (overtopping) may occur (something like 10 to 20 cm but then probably over long distances).

My house is still dry.

Jesus Christ (who was also Jew, by the way) could walk on water, which is probably more useful right now.

He used to be able to walk on water... until the Romans put those big nail holes through his feet.

My house is still dry.

I agree! Mose did however part the Red Sea so he and his men could cross and not get wet. But just like in Bangkok, as soon as he turned his back to the water it all came roaring back.

My house is still dry.

He used to be able to walk on water... until the Romans put those big nail holes through his feet.

Good Point! I never thought of that! Well, I think you are right! He probably couldn't walk on water after that. But after that he also was at least able to float in the air, which is probably better than walking bare foot anyway.

My house is still dry.

Moses parted the waters with Gods help.

Yingluck is trying to part the water too, around Central Bangkok.

Seems she just is no moses.

Go down,

Moses,

set my people free!!

Halleluiah!!!

My house is still dry.

Good Point! I never thought of that! Well, I think you are right! He probably couldn't walk on water after that. But after that he also was at least able to float in the air, which is probably better than walking bare foot anyway.

Thais may also be interested to hear that he could, if need be, turn all the water into lao khao

There isn't flooding on Rama 2 yet but there is some minor flooding (maybe 10cm or less) on a few Sois on both sides of the street between Soi 5 and 82.

That's right. Some wet patches at Tesco Lotus side which is South of Rama 2.

How did the water cross the road? Undetected!

Edited by sparebox2

There isn't flooding on Rama 2 yet but there is some minor flooding (maybe 10cm or less) on a few Sois on both sides of the street between Soi 5 and 82.

I thought I read somewhere about it passing through the drainage system first, rather than overland flow. That will occur once the drains are full. Might explain why some water is on the other side??

... by going under it via the drains?

Govt: No Plan to Protect Rama II Road against Floods

The transport minister says no flood prevention measures will be implemented for the King Rama II Road, and the ministry is preparing a highway route for traffic to the South if it is inundated.

Transport Minister Sukampol Suwannathat disagreed with the proposed drilling of King Rama II Road to expedite the flow of the floodwater into the sea, adding that the removal of the road's lane barrier should be the best solution.

Sukampol stated that his ministry will salvage the flood-hit highway route number 340 Suphanburi-Taling Chan to serve as the road to the South if King Rama II Road is made impassable by flood.

The minister said the salvation of route number 340 should take about five days.

He then said his ministry has been allocated a preliminary budget of 200 million baht to fix the flood-ravaged roads.

He said the cost of all the repairs should exceed 20 billion baht.

Sukampol noted that the five agencies under his ministry's supervision will provide details about the repair expenditures and he will forward the information for deliberation by Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit.

Permanent Secretary of the Transport Ministry Supoj Saplom said there is no need to build a levee along King Rama II Road, as the water flows east to west and flooding cannot be avoided.

Supoj has ordered the removal of all obstacles that block the water flow at King Rama II Road to expedite the drainage, while suggesting that drilling would have no benefit, as the slope gradient of the road's surface is not enough to quicken the speed of the flow of water.

He remarked that authorities are in the process of restoring Kanchanapisek Road, a section of the highway route number 9 between Bang Yai and Bang Bua Thong districts in Nonthaburi Province, as the water there has begun to recede.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-09

footer_n.gif