Disappointment With Thai Govt Performance May Lead To Riots, Opposition Warns

webfact

I lived in Vietnam for over 10 years, and while it is no secret that the Communist authorities in VN are soulless, brutal thugs, they would never have permitted a flood situation to descend into such an absurd public farce as we are seeing here.

First, they would have mobilised the entire armed forces.

Second, they would have declared martial law, so that, for example, any hobbledehoy who started messing around with flood defences could be shot on the spot for endangering national security

As to the first and second points, the Vietnamese Government has the advantage of actually being in charge of, not in competition with, their armed forces.

yes but it is the governments mistake to not declare SOE only to keep in charge of the floods which they have no idea how to handle.

I lived in Vietnam for over 10 years, and while it is no secret that the Communist authorities in VN are soulless, brutal thugs, they would never have permitted a flood situation to descend into such an absurd public farce as we are seeing here.

Second, they would have declared martial law, so that, for example, any hobbledehoy who started messing around with flood defences could be shot on the spot for endangering national security

As to the first and second points, the Vietnamese Government has the advantage of actually being in charge of, not in competition with, their armed forces.

Technically wrong, though correct in practice.

The three authorities are CPVN (the Party), PAVN (the Army) and the government. All tight as thieves, of course, but there are always mysterious internal currents flowing.

As I said, it depends on whether you prefer to live in a country run by transparent idiots, or one run by secretive thugs.

The procedure to go through to allocate much needed funtds takes bureacracy to a new level i am in ayutthaya and desperate families are trying to get the 5000bht per household so they can buy food and try restore their homes but gov offices are closed .Government officials should be out there with the cash to give but no the thai people are let down by a so called poor peoples government,its scandalous

Now I to thought this was apoor peoples government, turns out that 2/3rds of them are millionaires!

And that adds to the whole list of reasons why this present government is so ineffectual. If the government can't control the Army, they have to at least be able to work with it in times of crisis. This government can't and for that, people are suffering even more then they should.

The procedure to go through to allocate much needed funtds takes bureacracy to a new level i am in ayutthaya and desperate families are trying to get the 5000bht per household so they can buy food and try restore their homes but gov offices are closed .Government officials should be out there with the cash to give but no the thai people are let down by a so called poor peoples government,its scandalous

Now I to thought this was apoor peoples government, turns out that 2/3rds of them are millionaires!

Most of them are multi-millionaires. Power->money->more power->more money etc etc -- even Yingluck's nine year old son has 4.4 million baht (US$142,000). in his bin, according to the NCCC.

A true People's Government,,,,,angry.gif

Sounds to me that the opposition is hoping for riots or at least once again trying to get the public in the mood for a coup during this crisis. What a shame ... plenty of time for this nonsense afterwards.

klum-transparency.jpg

post-9891-0-84918000-1320922020_thumb.jppost-9891-0-10135300-1320922034_thumb.jp

TRANSPARENCY of the government, any government is about the same as this sweater.

The other way around I think. This government is about as transparent as a sheet of lead.

Doesn't matter, more Heidi Klum... it'll stimulate more lead.

Kind of makes the average Isaan hooker look like a............................... .... enough said....

sighhhhhh..

After the 1995 floods, people in the South burned down the city hall because they believed the provincial governor was keeping donations to himself, he said, adding that he was concerned about the lack of transparency of the Bt120billion rehabilitation plan.

It's not like it's never happened before.

Third, if necessary, they would have blasted huge deep channels to divert water away from industrial areas, airports, urban areas and so on, and into agricultural areas occupied by peasants, blowing up a Catholic church or two if they happened to be in the way.

Fourth, they would have called loudly for, and instantly accepted any foreign help going -- cash preferred, but helicopters and boats would do.

Fifth, they would only screen nightly programs showing solidarity, unity, victory in the national struggle and the mutual love between people and Party. No bickering between officials whatsoever, and no interviewing whinging locals.

Bottom line -- what kind of country do you want to live in?

If what you say is true, then I'd opt for Thailand.

Third, if necessary, they would have blasted huge deep channels to divert water away from industrial areas, airports, urban areas and so on, and into agricultural areas occupied by peasants, blowing up a Catholic church or two if they happened to be in the way.

Fourth, they would have called loudly for, and instantly accepted any foreign help going -- cash preferred, but helicopters and boats would do.

Fifth, they would only screen nightly programs showing solidarity, unity, victory in the national struggle and the mutual love between people and Party. No bickering between officials whatsoever, and no interviewing whinging locals.

If what you say is true, then I'd opt for Thailand.

Is this a trick question :unsure:

Some jerks are so preocupied with breasts that they ignore the fact the people are dying. I have no idea why people are so callus.

Edit callus means stupid jerk without a heart and needed to correct spelling.

The correct spelling you are looking for is callous. Callus is a thick buildup of skin.

But I got your point. Please remember what country you are in and what people frequent it.

yes but it is the governments mistake to not declare SOE only to keep in charge of the floods which they have no idea how to handle.

Declaring a SOE would not have helped at all. As you said yourself, the government has no idea how to handle this.

Besides, the Army has plenty of mandate to do what they need to do, not do they really care what the government wants or thinks.

Remember?

Most of them are multi-millionaires. Power->money->more power->more money etc etc -- even Yingluck's nine year old son has 4.4 million baht (US$142,000). in his bin, according to the NCCC.

A true People's Government,,,,,angry.gif

Thailand = Shinawatra Inc. :annoyed:

er I think you should go back. The smack of firm discipline. Stop the rot.

And that adds to the whole list of reasons why this present government is so ineffectual. If the government can't control the Army, they have to at least be able to work with it in times of crisis. This government can't and for that, people are suffering even more then they should.

The present government may not be able to control the Army, but it was put in place by the electorate.

The previous government was controlled by the Army, and put in place by the Army.

The present government may not be able to control the Army, but it was put in place by the electorate.

what army?

Not one like that, that's for sure.

Some jerks are so preocupied with breasts that they ignore the fact the people are dying. I have no idea why people are so callus.

I wouldn't be so quick to hassle those breasts and the people that like them if I was you. They could be your lifeline if swept away in a flood and you were looking for some kind of flotation device to hold on to.

The previous government was controlled by the Army, and put in place by the Army.

The present government is incompentant and have been ineffectual in this crisis.

What 10 years did RickBradford live in Vietnam? 1978-1988?

Anyway, none of the government systems in the region are particularly open like a "western style" democracy.

Vietnam and Thailand are pretty similar in that a small group of people who control things. The difference is just in the details of how those people fight for power.

And like all developing countries, there's corruption particularly at the local level.

Most governments, democratic or not, would not allow people to destroy flood defenses.

Here, the police don't stop them because it's in their interest not to.

The central government negotiates with the perpetrators LOL because it's in their political interests to do so.

The opposition suggests potential riots because its in its interests to do so.

Airport occupation, business district occupation and destruction, flood politics/mismanagement. Thailand has its own game.

I'm fine with it but I'm not convinced that it is particularly advantageous to most of the population.

I wouldn't be so quick to hassle those breasts and the people that like them if I was you. They could be your lifeline if swept away in a flood and you were looking for some kind of flotation device to hold on to.

We all love breasts, both women and men, as they are what nurtured us when we were babes. This thread is about a reaction to the governments management of a tragedy that has already killed over 500 people. Some threads should have some humor injected just to lighten things up but to hijack it to a pinup is simply not right. Do what you will, but in my mind beautiful breasts do not relate to the tragedy of a flood.