Where To Live In Bkk

Hmm mass of humanity at riverside. My commute this was traffic free, 15 mins to bts taksin on our private boat, 10 mins to my office at silom.

I have two big c's within 5 mins drive, central rama 2 is 20 mins max on weekends, 10 mins to rama 3 expressway=25 mins max to emporium /siam on weekends.

2 bed 90sqm on the river for 21k, terrible all in all ;)

Interesting advice.

What are you thoughts on living up near Don Muang?

RAZZ

Depends on whether travel to the city centre is required each day.

There are some nice moo baans with some really nice houses up that way, last year we looked at some in the Sai Mai area.

The recent flood events dont exactly inspire confidence, but thats just me.

The lack of a BTS/MRT link may be a concern for some.

Horses for courses

In a few years time hopefully the transport links will be there. Maybe somewhere to buy with an eye on the future?

RAZZ

With young kids it's not only location but quality of life. Shoebox condo on skytrain with small poolside play area or loads of space in moobahn with other kids around.

Commute to work vs commute to kids school and so on.

Personally i can take the extra 15 minutes in the morning and occasional traffic jam on the way home to allow my children secure surroundings and reasonable 15 to 20 mins trip to school.

And calling on-nut area bar girl ghetto is just bs, much better environment for families than lower Sukhumvit.

Razzell,

I never really looked at it due to the lack of BTS/MRT. If communing to CBD (as I do), I would avoid it.

For me, key points on location include – 1. immediate access to BTS/MRT, and 2. a maximum 40 minutes commute to my office. This rather limits where I can live and means I have to pay more for comfort, but it’s worth it to me to save time commuting.

I'm actually looking for a moo baan with exactly the same points, does anyone knows any moo baan in a decent location and with a near access to BTS/MRT, perhaps the new line that goes to the airport?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so after a fair bit of research, I think I have settled on Lat Phrao (sp) area.

This choice is based on the following:

Lat Phrao has a reasonably priced Bilingual school

Close to hospitals

Close to Bang Kapi - Shops

Close to MRT

Appears to have a few Moo Bans and reasonably priced houses for rent.

I would be interested in hearing feedback from anyone living in this area. Some questions I have are:

Did it flood in Lat Phrao and how bad? From this forum and other research, it didn't appear to flood much at all?

Anyone with experience of Lat Phrao Bilingual School, Teacher or Parent. PM me if you don't want your comments on the forum.

Also anyone with knowledge of good Moo Bans in this area? I have seen a lot on the Internet sites but I take them all with a very large grain of salt. I won't be making my final decision until I have had a look at any properties myself and also confirmed that the school is ok (again when I visit it myself).

Thanks in advance

freefall^^^^^.

Dont know where you got your information from regarding flooding, however read this, comes complete with photos,

Lat Prao is a fair old stretch or road, as far as I am aware the floods never made it as far as The Mall Bang Kapi.

There are better areas to live in, this is only my opinion, if your main concern is a school your choices may be limited.

Two other areas to consider would be, Ramkhamhaeng Rd next to Min Buri, round about soi 164.

Bang Na is another area that may be worth your while investigating, both these areas have schools, but may not be suitable for your needs.

• 4 weeks later...

I just booked a condo in Aree (or Ari as some write). My wife is over the moon with that area, will be interesting to see.

You won't regret it, it is one of the nicest residential areas in Bangkok IMO.

Sounds good. Have been reading up on it, and it sounds alright. Not in the midle of the party area which is good, but not to far away either if I want to go out for a drink or two. Just 3 weeks to go :)

I just booked a condo in Aree (or Ari as some write). My wife is over the moon with that area, will be interesting to see.

You won't regret it, it is one of the nicest residential areas in Bangkok IMO.

Any info? Links? Properties for sale?

Ta thumbsup.gif

RAZZ

Any info? Links? Properties for sale?

Ta thumbsup.gif

RAZZ

The best is to go to Soi 5/Ari Samphan, 7 (Ari), 9 or 11 and walk through the side sois to have a feel of this area. The entrance of the soi near the BTS is very crowded but just walk 100m inside and you can start to enjoy.

It is quiet, lots of trees and not many high-rises, few street vendors so you do not feel overwhelmed like in Sukhumvit. You can actually have pleasant walks. At the same time you have lots of cafes and restaurants scattered around, both Thai and western. You have a Villa Market and a “community mall” just by the Ari BTS station, and a huge Big C at the next station.

It is both a very established neighborhood for “old money” and a trendy area similar to Thonglor (but more geared towards Thais) so it makes a good mix. Since it is mostly an area for upper middle class and wealthy Thais, and you have some real nice houses there. Some real estate agents and papers have named this area “millionnaires lane” although it is may be in bahts only ! You also have a lot of ministries and government agencies (Finance, Natural Ressources, Telecom)…etc so it have long been an area of choice for rich civil servants (don’t ask me how they became rich on their official salaryclap2.gif ).

http://extra.world66...llionaires_lane

Some info in this article, although they miss most of the good places:

http://bk.asia-city....e%E2%80%99s-own

One of the hip places at the moment is Salt, go have an early evening drink there to see the “Ari crowd”

http://bk.asia-city....nt-reviews/salt

As for real esate, there are plenty of new projects like everywhere in Bangkok, although mostly low rises (which for me is a good thing). Houses are expensive, almost prime Sukhumvit prices.

Edited by Vorranuch
  • Like 1