Internet Export

I know this question has been ask a million times!!! But, here goes.

I am returning to LOS from US with multiple entry non immigrant "O" visa. Will live on Social Security but, would like to sell Thai Handicrafts on internet (E-bay, website) no sales in Thailand. I have PayPal and UPS account. All monies will go into my US bank account. Is there a way to do this without ending up on blacklist?

Thanks for any suggestions.

From all that I have read.. you will need a work permit to be able to buy the goods, and then you may not sell them on the internet as you will be taking away a job from a Thai person. However, if you have a company and employ thai's then you might be able to get away with it.

Have you noticed that there are not that many internet sites marketing Thai goods, that are not Thai websites?

Here is some interesting reading..

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1701

Import/export ? Let's think out of the box and put aside all the legalities. If it were easy everyone would be doing it. It's not exactly an original idea. There is a "little" company called Pier 1 Imports who ship container loads of stuff so it is possible but it takes money (and contacts) to make money. There are thousands of guys running around Thailand looking for a way to earn/steal/scam a few baht so they can stay in the LOS. I can identify with them because I was in that same position. The difference was that I had a few bucks to get started. I have been involved in three business ventures in Thailand and I don't like to admit it but all three failed miserably. One of those was import/export. We found it impossible to compete with the Thai companies because we were faced with much higher overhead and myriads of legal red tape to cut through. I was very fortunate to have to had a specialized manufacturing background and was always able to find quite high paying jobs. That said I put my tail between my legs, went back and worked in the states until I was able to afford to retire. No more businesses and no more headaches. It can be done but you better have a much BETTER mousetrap to sell. Even then unscrupulous farangs and Thais will latch on to your ideas much quicker than you can realize any profit from your efforts. Been there and done that. :o

I am returning to LOS from US with multiple entry non immigrant "O" visa. Will live on Social Security but, would like to sell Thai Handicrafts on internet (E-bay, website) no sales in Thailand. I have PayPal and UPS account. All monies will go into my US bank account. Is there a way to do this without ending up on blacklist?

Legally, you are on the grey zone (which means low profile will keep you out of trouble).

Practically, buying in Jatujak (for example) and selling in ebay will probably not be worth while.

If you don't get a problem in USA, there will be no problem in thailand.

Not speak about it, just in case......

Thailand is happy about all exports, so no troubles on the export.

:o Ebay is loaded down with Thai Handycrafts and as one of the poster's points out, how do you compete with the Thai's...this is their speciality after all.

Also, as pointed out by another poster, very easy to lose big style with traditional business in LOS, I know several guy's who've lost severly whilst trying to establish Thai Business's.

Like a ton of other guy's, I've been racking my brains for years now, trying to come up with a workable plan to make a decent income in LOS. Bottom line is, it has to be something that the Thai's can't readily do and compete with you or trying to make things difficult for you.

My punchline is...I have found a workable plan that is as legit as they come.

It involves raising funds for charities and organising Golf Tournaments, the perfect combination for a Thai Biz Opp.....loads of charities need funds and people everywhere are keen on Golf, especially in LOS.

If anybody has any interest in what i'm saying, drop me a line to [email protected] and I'll try and fill in the gaps for you.

The only reason I've decided to make some postings regarding this subject is because there seems to be so many people out there looking for a way forward...Why take large financial risks in LOS when there could be a better way ? :D

Import/export ? Let's think out of the box and put aside all the legalities. If it were easy everyone would be doing it. It's not exactly an original idea. There is a "little" company called Pier 1 Imports who ship container loads of stuff so it is possible but it takes money (and contacts) to make money. There are thousands of guys running around Thailand looking for a way to earn/steal/scam a few baht so they can stay in the LOS. I can identify with them because I was in that same position. The difference was that I had a few bucks to get started. I have been involved in three business ventures in Thailand and I don't like to admit it but all three failed miserably. One of those was import/export. We found it impossible to compete with the Thai companies because we were faced with much higher overhead and myriads of legal red tape to cut through. I was very fortunate to have to had a specialized manufacturing background and was always able to find quite high paying jobs. That said I put my tail between my legs, went back and worked in the states until I was able to afford to retire. No more businesses and no more headaches. It can be done but you better have a much BETTER mousetrap to sell. Even then unscrupulous farangs and Thais will latch on to your ideas much quicker than you can realize any profit from your efforts. Been there and done that.  :o

10/10 for honesty, very refreshing to read. :D

:o Ebay is loaded down with Thai Handycrafts and as one of the poster's points out, how do you compete with the Thai's...this is their speciality after all.

<deleted>. The Thai's have a distinct disadvantage in selling on the net to the West. They really don't understand their customer.

This said, selling crap on e-bay is pretty much a waste of time I think. Too much crap at too low prices.

And then there is the BIG disadvantage of trying to sell from the East (in the retail market), trust, the distinct lack thereof.

Edited by OlRedEyes

Guest DragonStar

... sanook, sanook, sanook.... about 10 days ago some guy posted an OP, whereafter some other guys get going ... things evolve somewhere, that only things will know

Here's the OP:

"I know this question has been ask a million times!!! But, here goes.

I am returning to LOS from US with multiple entry non immigrant "O" visa. Will live on Social Security but, would like to sell Thai Handicrafts on internet (E-bay, website) no sales in Thailand. I have PayPal and UPS account. All monies will go into my US bank account. Is there a way to do this without ending up on blacklist?"

In my limited worldview, there's only one answer to these hopeful Thomas' es - perfectly stated above and below by the buncher:

Like a ton of other guy's, I've been racking my brains for years now, trying to come up with a workable plan to make a decent income in LOS. Bottom line is, it has to be something that the Thai's can't readily do and compete with you or trying to make things difficult for you.

The cost and reliability of postage here is a big problem if you are contemplating a mail out type business. Unless the items you are selling are small and light , the cost will put a fair dint into your bottom line profit.

i think you better of setting up a thaishop in us,don't know if there is to many thais in us thou. But here where i live there is a market for selling to thais. Small country. A friend of mine started up small and has now several shops for thais. He's selling food and small items. I think it's better to make the doe's back home and spend them in los.