Drivers License

phomsanuk

Each state will have different requirements. I phoned the DMV in Florida (about 3 months ago) to check on renewing my expired (will be expired and issued from Virgina) license when I go home on vacation. Asked them if I could use my Thai or even my UAE license to meet requirements for current license and convert it to a Florida State one. She said as long as I meet the residency requirements (which I do in Florida) that converting my Thai (or UAE) license back to a US license won't be an issue.

Again, each state DMV office will have its own requirements and issues though.

kurtmartens is correct that each state has its own requirements. Complicating the issue is whether you are actually classified as a "resident" of the particular state. Some states require a driving test even if you're turning in a soon-to-be-expired instate license and others are starting to require scheduled driving tests for drivers over a certain age. If you're living there permanently (long term) and legally, that puts you in a different category than a tourist or illegal alien.

Good advice from kurtmartens: contact the DMV of the actual state where you intend to live and/or get the license. You can usually Google them by by searching for the state and DMV, DOT, DPS or perhaps state and driver and license. They'll have most of the simpler policies posted. But it's still best to contact them for a more updated answer and for more complicated situations, especially if you have a lot riding on your ability to get a license with or without the driving test. For instance, in Texas, you can't get a license without proof of insurance or an affidavit stating you don't own a car- which I had to submit when I had a company car and none of my own.

And to make it even more fun, it all changes occasionally.