Can I Become A Thai Citizen?

If the op is married and earns at least 15000 baht per month and paid tax on it he should start by speaking in person to the nationality section of special branch on Rama 1 in Bangkok. They will give a pretty quick assessment on eligibility and will encourage him to apply and tell him the documentation needed if they think he is eligible. It is that simple.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the op is married and earns at least 15000 baht per month and paid tax on it he should start by speaking in person to the nationality section of special branch on Rama 1 in Bangkok. They will give a pretty quick assessment on eligibility and will encourage him to apply and tell him the documentation needed if they think he is eligible. It is that simple.

That is good to hear.

I guess the obvious next question would be: is this a case of give 5,000 Baht, get big wai and big smile, hear cash register go KERCHIING, leave office and the application starts to gather dust and will never get approved?

You only pay the money if they accept your application. They won't accept your application unless it stands a pretty good chance of success.

Go speak to them. They are friendly and helpful. They'll give you an honest assessment right off the bat.

You only pay the money if they accept your application. They won't accept your application unless it stands a pretty good chance of success.

Go speak to them. They are friendly and helpful. They'll give you an honest assessment right off the bat.

Thank you! I will take a trip down!

Thank you! I will take a trip down!

Interesting stuff, let us know how you get on :)

Please go to the Police headquater (Special Branch) friedly people, at least once to be sure how it will work in your case, yes you can apply for Thai citizenship your case similar to me I have also applied 2 years before and waiting.

Cheers

Thank you tombkk!

Where do I file the application? Where can I get the application? I do not live in bkk and my local immigration office (nice people) looked at me like I am an alien :) when I mentioned this nonPR route!

Hi,

How about your application status heard they are on the December 2008 applicant for calling interview, any update Samran.

Good luck!

If you go back to Page 24 on this Forum you will see the heading ,, Thai Citizenship for men married to a Thai wife,, it has all the imformation you need, and a very good account of one man that got Citizenship, you may think twice after reading his story.

Page 24 of which thread?

The Thai citenship thread has only 22 pages and gives good information: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/121353-story-of-my-thai-citizenship-application

@oasis

Thanks! Will go ASAP - I don't live in BKK.

You mention that you applied and it seems to be if the application is received then one is OK. Above some answers were given, would just seek a 2nd opinion esp. as you have applied yourself!

My salary is "standard" govt. foreign teacher's wages - nothing great.

I am a qualified teacher with a masters.

Bank balance - a hundred thousand tops.

I do not own (nor does the wife) any property.

My level of Thai is: I can understand what my students and friends and family say (about 60%). Could probably speak that about 25%. Can't read or write, but I am now on that issue.

Legally in the country for 5+ years (not much more though) all on non-imm and extended since arrival (with exit permits) no breaks and no tourist visas.

Have submitted tax returns within Thailand on incomes of more that 15,000 Baht a month (Samran's quoted threshold) for 5 years.

Have never been fired from a Thai job (and with good references from Thais) and do not have a police record here or in my native country.

Comments?

Edited by AngryParent

@mario

This is a big issue Mario esp as it affects lives.

There are a "million" people posting postitive, negative and conflicting information.

I think there is a need for a scientific approach to this issue - quantify, qualify and verify!

If I can spill what is going on in my mind...

Qualified and intelligent person with academic credentials and decades of work history now has a family in Thailand. My flaw is I am not rich.

To take this legally backwards and I think Samran actually does have a legal mindset - however, from the forums he is in the same boat as me (seeking spouse citizenship). He even quoted the latin legal definition of jus sanguinis as how Thailand grants citizenship. This legal perspective is itself in conflict with what I am trying to do and what samran is trying to do! Naturalization is not by blood!

After all these hours of XYZ... is it back to square 1? Samran's wife does not have citizenship yet. The poster before is still in the queue. And I am living in hope. 3 humans and no solution/resolution!

The image of the donkey chasing the carrot comes to mind! The Wikipedia on Roman citizenship seems to have scary similarities.

Edited by AngryParent

I agree with Samran. Visit the police at the Special Branch and they will tell you then and there if you are eligible. Based on the information you have provided, I believe that you are eligible to apply.

Thank you for that.

Can I ask you one very serious question?

Why is one of the big law firms, that advertises here, telling me that I must apply for Permanent Residence - even though they have the same story this forum has (and this forum has concluded otherwise)?

Can I ask you one very serious question?

Why is one of the big law firms, that advertises here, telling me that I must apply for Permanent Residence - even though they have the same story this forum has (and this forum has concluded otherwise)?

May I make a suggestion? Instead of trying to determine who is right or wrong, or why this person says one thing and other says that, perhaps you might do as Samran and I have suggested and contact the Special Branch of the Royal Thai Police who are in charge of the citizenship application process.

If you cannot come to Bangkok, you can always have someone telephone them for you. The direct telephone number for you to call is (02) 252-1714.

I have nothing else to say on the matter.

:whistling:

What is your actual question....CAN you become a Thai citizen?

The amswer is

YES you CAN, but only IF you meet the requirements and

ARE allowed to apply and then

ARE selected for approval and then

ARE approved and then

WAIT long enough for all the required signatures/approvals

But it's a matter of years to get it all done.

So your actual chances are virtually nil.

The amswer is

ARE approved and then

I recently received my approval. Yes, there is a process that one must go through and, yes, it does take time. But saying that one's chances are virtually nil is utter rubbish. These sorts of ill-informed conclusions are yet another reason not to listen to anyone on this board who does not have direct personal experience of the process and to speak to the nice people at the Special Branch of the Royal Thai Police.

FYI

Most thais are quite a nationalist, so be sure to have plenty of positive things to say about Thailand.

In the mean time….keep practicing on the thai national anthem, you might be asked to sing that too eventually.smile.gif

Choke dee

You will find quite a number of law firms still say you need PR. It just is not true.

Being married to a Thai for three years will make you eligible. However, if you do not have a PR, you might find it difficult making the cut-off amount of points.

Points are awarded for various things, including age, qualifications, salary, PR, Thai language ability. Thus, if you do not have PR you automatically lose out on the 20 points it would get you. As such, you need to be able to make 50 out of the remaining 80 points available.

See, with PR you would have 20 points in hand and assuming you are married, it would be easy to make up the other 30.

I will be applying next year, without PR in hand (like you), but first I need to get my yellow house registration document. I have calculated that I should be able to make the points, but then I can speak and read Thai to a reasonably high level (although I never learned to write).

By the way, minimum savings to qualify are Baht 80,000 only but the more money you can show the better your case.

As I do not plan on living anywhere else and my family is here in Thailand, I would like to peace of mind that citizenship gives. No worries about visas and changing goal posts in the future, able to work in semi-retirement without work permit worries, but mainly peace of mind.

If you are really considering staying permanently, there is no harm in trying. From what a number of helpful posters have told me Special Branch are very helpful, and will tell you straight up whether you will qualify or not and, if not, what you need to do to make the grade. Its convenient too, its in walking distance from Siam BTS station. :D

Edited the points.

Edited by GarryP

^^

GaryP - did you mean to say that the earnings required in your case were 80,000? Or was there a savings element to it for you?

In my case - for my wife to apply the required income was 15,000. So apologies to the OP if I have inadvertently mislead.

Also to the OP, my wife's application has been placed on hold by us as we are outside of Thailand for family reasons. She was due to do the final interview a few months ago but we asked for that to be postponed. We intend to re-start it mid next year.

If you go back to Page 24 on this Forum you will see the heading ,, Thai Citizenship for men married to a Thai wife,, it has all the imformation you need, and a very good account of one man that got Citizenship, you may think twice after reading his story.

Page 24 of which thread?

The Thai citenship thread has only 22 pages and gives good information: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/121353-story-of-my-thai-citizenship-application

Click on Forums at the top of the site, Click on Thai visa Residency work permits at the left , it is the first one, then you will see Cameratas Guide to Permanent Residence process, it is the second one I think, then you can go to Page 24 and it has two very good posting about Thai Citizenship

The amswer is

ARE approved and then

I recently received my approval. Yes, there is a process that one must go through and, yes, it does take time. But saying that one's chances are virtually nil is utter rubbish. These sorts of ill-informed conclusions are yet another reason not to listen to anyone on this board who does not have direct personal experience of the process and to speak to the nice people at the Special Branch of the Royal Thai Police.

Well, I did call and it appears Samran and you are wrong. However, the people are friendly.

1. Need to have your name on a housebook.

2. Need a salary of over 40,000 a month - not a single govt. school in Thailand pays that! So, all those poor idiots like me that have given years to Thai kids in Thai govt. schools are losers!

A sad day indeed.

For those who can read Thai or can use google Translate the website is http://www.sbpolice.go.th/ and it is the 3rd box down on the left side that has Thai with a tick mark.

Edited by AngryParent

Samran, I meant savings, not income. The minumum savings is Baht 80,000.

AP, in your case you would need to get a yellow house registration, Tor Ror 13. I have not been able to get one before as my landlord could not be bothered to help. However, now that I have bought a house in my son's name, I will get my yellow book in the next week or so and start the ball rolling.

Minumum salary in case of being married to a Thai is Baht 40,000.

Edited by GarryP

Well, I did call and it appears Samran and you are wrong. However, the people are friendly.

1. Need to have your name on a housebook.

2. Need a salary of over 40,000 a month - not a single govt. school in Thailand pays that! So, all those poor idiots like me that have given years to Thai kids in Thai govt. schools are losers!

A sad day indeed.

For those who can read Thai or can use google Translate the website is http://www.sbpolice.go.th/ and it is the 3rd box down on the left side that has Thai with a tick mark.

As I said, seeking information from the Special Branch with respect to citizenship issues is the best course of action. At least now you know where you stand and no longer need to wonder. I have always found the people there to be very friendly.

AP, in your case you would need to get a yellow house registration, Tor Ror 13. I have not been able to get one before as my landlord could not be bothered. However, now that I bought a house in my son's name, I will get my yellow book in the next week or so and start the ball rolling.

Which as you yourself noticed, the yellow book is rarer than 800 BC manuscripts.

Salary as I mentioned, is not what foreign employees working for the same govt that issues this citizenship get. I can get a WP for a govt. job that does not pay the minimum salary for foreigners but I cannot satisfy this citizenship.

And for me to go and work in some evil private school in BKK (where the boss will use me like toilet paper) to get 40,000 a month - I would need to be a slave for another 3 years to get tax returns stating 40,000 (when I already have 5 years of returns at a lower salary). Correct?

AP, in your case you would need to get a yellow house registration, Tor Ror 13. I have not been able to get one before as my landlord could not be bothered. However, now that I bought a house in my son's name, I will get my yellow book in the next week or so and start the ball rolling.

Which as you yourself noticed, the yellow book is rarer than 800 BC manuscripts.

Salary as I mentioned, is not what foreign employees working for the same govt that issues this citizenship get. I can get a WP for a govt. job that does not pay the minimum salary for foreigners but I cannot satisfy this citizenship.

And for me to go and work in some evil private school in BKK (where the boss will use me like toilet paper) to get 40,000 a month - I would need to be a slave for another 3 years to get tax returns stating 40,000 (when I already have 5 years of returns at a lower salary). Correct?

Three things:

- the regs subtly change from year to year, and there are always (in my experience) it seems exemptions for various things. I'm not saying there will be an exemption in your particular case for not having the income, but a visit to the Special Branch to fully explain your situation you may find out other attributes which you score points for and perhaps - perhaps - your working for a government school counts for something (and I say visit rather than phone call - things handled on a personal level in Thailand seem to always turn out better). I can't stress this enough, as they are helpful and they will try and point you in the direction which maximises your points and minimizes your problems in applying.

- Assuming you did go and work for an 'evil' private school, then you'd just need the tax return from the year before plus a letter from your school confirming your salary.

Once you have that and have successfully sumbmited the citizenship application there is no reason you can't quit and go back to what you are doing. So sucking it in for a year to get the higher salary may be a worthwhile move.

- The yellow books in some cases have been harder to get. But it is becoming more common so until you try you simply won't know.

Three things:

- the regs subtly change from year to year, and there are always (in my experience) it seems exemptions for various things. I'm not saying there will be an exemption in your particular case for not having the income, but a visit to the Special Branch to fully explain your situation you may find out other attributes which you score points for and perhaps - perhaps - your working for a government school counts for something (and I say visit rather than phone call - things handled on a personal level in Thailand seem to always turn out better). I can't stress this enough, as they are helpful and they will try and point you in the direction which maximises your points and minimizes your problems in applying.

- Assuming you did go and work for an 'evil' private school, then you'd just need the tax return from the year before plus a letter from your school confirming your salary.

Once you have that and have successfully sumbmited the citizenship application there is no reason you can't quit and go back to what you are doing. So sucking it in for a year to get the higher salary may be a worthwhile move.

- The yellow books in some cases have been harder to get. But it is becoming more common so until you try you simply won't know.

I will take a trip down.

As it is time for a tax return (soon ish) , does the wife's income contribute or is it seperate?