Passport Expiry And Non-Immigrant Visa

I'm currently in Thailand with a 1-year non-immigrant visa.

The visa is valid until end of January 2012 and my passport will expire in June 2012.

Should I make a new passport before I apply for the 1-year visa extension, or can I do the visa extension first then transfer the visa to the new passport later ?

I've already seen some answers in Thaivisa that It would be possible to transfer the visa to a new passport (either for free or for a 500-bath fee), but my embassy told me I had to make the passport before I apply for the 1-year visa extension.

Thanks.

Do you intend to travel? If any chance you do and need a visa for another country you may need six months remaining on your passport.

Are you here on a multi entry visa or a one year extension of stay that ends in late January?

Do you intend to travel? If any chance you do and need a visa for another country you may need six months remaining on your passport.

Are you here on a multi entry visa or a one year extension of stay that ends in late January?

I don't intend to travel outside of Thailand.

I'm not here on a multi-entry visa, just a one year extension of stay that ends in January and I need to get a re-entry permit if I leave the country.

You can have less than the one year and obtain to end of passport and then get remaining when new one issued but with less than six months remaining they may not be willing to issue and it would seem to be time now to change (about a month before your expiration of current extension) and not worry about 'if'. This would also cover you for any unexpected travel requirement.