Chalerm To Spearhead Amnesty Bill For Thaksin

webfact

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A large portion of those voting for PTP at the last election did want Thaksin back and the PTP are mindful that they need to make some strides towards that at the very least to keep them happy.

Putting his return on the manifesto would have riled up those anti-democratic forces that saw the army stage the last coup. It would clearly have resulted in more friction, and besides, the unwritten contract to try and bring him back was well understood between the PTP and Red Shirted voters.

I've always thought though, that there was a significant number of people - perhaps middle-class Thais - that voted PTP just as a protest vote against the Dems. These people I believe didn't really mind whether or not Thaksin came back, they just wanted anti-democratic elements to stop messing with their elected governments.

Thais who hate Thaksin and/or don't want him back, of course, would never have voted PTP anyway.

So really, I don't think anyone who voted for PTP would be overly upset or surprised by Chalerm's utterances.

Those who voted for a different party could hardly be surprised either, as it's just more Thaksin-led BS from their point of view. Nothing new there.

So what you say is that by looking at the numbers we can be sure that there is NOT a majority that explicitly want Thaksin back?

Thanks for that clarification and refute of some other posters attempts to make this a 'majority' wish.

You are most welcome.

Of course, those who don't want Thaksin back are not in the majority either. This is because there is a significant number of people who don't feel strongly one way or another on that particular matter. I know that's hard to imagine in the context of the discussions on this website, but many Thais just want to get on with life and don't feel it's all-or-nothing when it comes to Thaksin and the fate of the country.

So if you added those who want Thaksin back to those who aren't too bothered either way, I believe that would be a majority of people. And I reckon neither group would be too surprised at what the PTP are doing right now with regard to trying to get him back.

So what you say is that by looking at the numbers we can be sure that there is NOT a majority that explicitly want Thaksin back?

Thanks for that clarification and refute of some other posters attempts to make this a 'majority' wish.

You are most welcome.

Of course, those who don't want Thaksin back are not in the majority either. This is because there is a significant number of people who don't feel strongly one way or another on that particular matter. I know that's hard to imagine in the context of the discussions on this website, but many Thais just want to get on with life and don't feel it's all-or-nothing when it comes to Thaksin and the fate of the country.

So if you added those who want Thaksin back to those who aren't too bothered either way, I believe that would be a majority of people. And I reckon neither group would be too surprised at what the PTP are doing right now with regard to trying to get him back.

First off, I and others have repeatedly claimed that the strong opinion groups are clear minorities. And now you agree - good.

Secondly, to say that those that don't care would take an active stance of supporting a pardon - in for instance a referendum - is a very-very-very long stretch.

They might not campaign for or against it, but when chows come to show and opinion needs to be formed then it isn't as simple as that.

First off, I and others have repeatedly claimed that the strong opinion groups are clear minorities. And now you agree - good.

Secondly, to say that those that don't care would take an active stance of supporting a pardon - in for instance a referendum - is a very-very-very long stretch.

They might not campaign for or against it, but when chows come to show and opinion needs to be formed then it isn't as simple as that.

+1

You are most welcome.

to say that those that don't care would take an active stance of supporting a pardon - in for instance a referendum - is a very-very-very long stretch

I agree entirely, and that's absolutely not what I said. You inferred it. To clarify my position, I would expect those that do not care much about whether Thaksin comes back or not will not take a stance at all in either side's favor. Because they don't care enough at the present time, see.

I expect that not actively supporting an anti-pardon stance would suggest to you that they'd be supporting it - after all, that's your rationale behind accusing thousands of Red Protesters of being terrorists - but I wouldn't agree with that at all.

A large portion of those voting for PTP at the last election did want Thaksin back and the PTP are mindful that they need to make some strides towards that at the very least to keep them happy.

Putting his return on the manifesto would have riled up those anti-democratic forces that saw the army stage the last coup. It would clearly have resulted in more friction, and besides, the unwritten contract to try and bring him back was well understood between the PTP and Red Shirted voters.

I've always thought though, that there was a significant number of people - perhaps middle-class Thais - that voted PTP just as a protest vote against the Dems. These people I believe didn't really mind whether or not Thaksin came back, they just wanted anti-democratic elements to stop messing with their elected governments.

Thais who hate Thaksin and/or don't want him back, of course, would never have voted PTP anyway.

So really, I don't think anyone who voted for PTP would be overly upset or surprised by Chalerm's utterances.

Those who voted for a different party could hardly be surprised either, as it's just more Thaksin-led BS from their point of view. Nothing new there.

You are most welcome.

most of them, 99,99% want money they need. Thaksin should work abroad and send money. Not to his cronies like Arisman and alike, but to common folks. Nobody wants him, needs him, or endures him except the money. If he really loves TH he would follow the many examples set by others who support their families and friends with hard working.

Nothing else ..

He should consider himself happy while abroad. Here he's to face justice he created and executed. This is the truth.