Which 3G Provider To Choose For Aircard? True, Ais, Dtac?

Guts

Hi everybody,

I am looking for an USB Aircard to get Internet in Bangkok and preferably also one that works in Pattaya (Jomtien).

Main thing is to communication by Skype and web browsing.

Which provider would you suggest and why? True, AIS, DTAC?

Any recommendations on the Aircard itself are welcome too and the best place to buy this.

Thank you.

I use AIS in Chiang Mai. They have a coverage map so you can check Pattaya. I have the 3.6 Mbps version of the hardware. They have faster hardware but was informed that the network in CM was not capable of the higher speeds at the time anyway, so a waste of money. You'll want to check the same for Pattaya.

The service plan is so-so. You can buy based on time or data. I started with 30 hours and used it up like water. I went back and they sold me on the "unlimited" plan, saying it was faster, for about 900 baht for 30 days plus VAT. Yes it does seem faster, what they didn't tell me (and you won't see on the brochure unless you read Thai), is that the speed cuts down drastically after you use 3 GB, which is pretty easy to use these days (speed is cut down to 384 kbps or thereabouts, 10 percent of what the hardware is capable of). I'm pissed. It's still fast enough to browse the web fairly quickly, but often can't stream youtube without having to stop to buffer.

It can stream internet radio fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if you had problems on Skype.

Are there any true unlimited data plans out there?

I use AIS in Chiang Mai. They have a coverage map so you can check Pattaya. I have the 3.6 Mbps version of the hardware. They have faster hardware but was informed that the network in CM was not capable of the higher speeds at the time anyway, so a waste of money. You'll want to check the same for Pattaya.

The service plan is so-so. You can buy based on time or data. I started with 30 hours and used it up like water. I went back and they sold me on the "unlimited" plan, saying it was faster, for about 900 baht for 30 days plus VAT. Yes it does seem faster, what they didn't tell me (and you won't see on the brochure unless you read Thai), is that the speed cuts down drastically after you use 3 GB, which is pretty easy to use these days (speed is cut down to 384 kbps or thereabouts, 10 percent of what the hardware is capable of). I'm pissed. It's still fast enough to browse the web fairly quickly, but often can't stream youtube without having to stop to buffer.

It can stream internet radio fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if you had problems on Skype.

3.6 MB/s hardware limitation ? Are you sure AIS is that slow, or is it just your hardware? I am using a 21 MB/s dongle, and there is 42 Avail. ( pretty sure you not gonna get 42 though ).

True has "unlimited" too, like the rest, and when you read the fine print, its limited at 3GB. Not sure now, but a while back you could not buy more GB, maybe now can. It will never be unlimited, tried and failed in Europe. would put too much load on network, requiring endless investment.

Edited by skippybangkok

3.6 MB/s hardware limitation ? Are you sure AIS is that slow, or is it just your hardware? I am using a 21 MB/s dongle, and there is 42 Avail. ( pretty sure you not gonna get 42 though ).

True has "unlimited" too, like the rest, and when you read the fine print, its limited at 3GB. Not sure now, but a while back you could not buy more GB, maybe now can. It will never be unlimited, tried and failed in Europe. would put too much load on network, requiring endless investment.

Which dongle is best to buy skippy...and where to get it and price please? jap.gif

Edit: On a pay as you go basis please....

Edited by smokie36

Just got off the phone with True.

2 different subscriptions. One that drops speed after 3Gig and one after 5Gig.

As I understand it they also offer free Wifi at True Hotspots.

Should I take that into consideration? Are there many of those Wifi points?

(I guess AIS offers that too. Which one has better wifi-spots?)

Kind of up bumping this thread. I don't post often, maybe one or two posts here, but I read the forums here all the time. My question is are any of these plans contract free? I mean can a person buy a 30 day plan and let it expire or do they need to commit to a contract? Also, what did everyone find to be the best in the Pattaya/Jomtien area?

Are they offering data only or phone/data sims?

I really appreciate any info anyone can provide.

Kind of up bumping this thread. I don't post often, maybe one or two posts here, but I read the forums here all the time. My question is are any of these plans contract free? I mean can a person buy a 30 day plan and let it expire or do they need to commit to a contract? Also, what did everyone find to be the best in the Pattaya/Jomtien area?

Are they offering data only or phone/data sims?

I really appreciate any info anyone can provide.

For anyone looking for the same info I was asking for, it is posted in another thread in these forums: