Dual Purpose Tires For The Klx250

yannic

was looking for some replacement of the horrible nobby tires for my KLX. Don't ask why I did not buy the D-Tracker, I like the off road bike but since I am using it mostly in the city I would like to have some more street oriented tires.

Like the Shinko 705 Series or the Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara or Metzeler Tourance or Kenda K761 or any tire which is around 70/30 to 80/20 street to off road riding.

I believe the size is 18 inch rear and 21 inch front.

Anyone an idea where I can get such tires in Bangkok?

Thanks

thanks for the link. Can you guide me where to find that place? I tried to find it ingoogle maps but it doesn't show and I can't find the street

Sorry, not a clue as I live in Chiang Rai. Call the mobile number, the guy speaks good English.

I went to the place this morning, found also the street where all the tire shops are, asked several places, but nobody had any tire for me, the Dunlop D604 was only available for the front all others only had the D605 which is the original one I wanted to replace. So it seems that it is not so easy to get 80/20 tires for an off road bike.

Any other info where I can get those tires, also online would do.

Thanks

I went to the place this morning, found also the street where all the tire shops are, asked several places, but nobody had any tire for me, the Dunlop D604 was only available for the front all others only had the D605 which is the original one I wanted to replace. So it seems that it is not so easy to get 80/20 tires for an off road bike.

Any other info where I can get those tires, also online would do.

Thanks

If you're only riding on pavement why not buy some 17" D-Tracker wheels? Much bigger choice of road tires if you change to 17" wheels. :)

Hi Yannic,

Mayby you should have a look at Michelin Sirac tires, i had those on my last bike in Holland ( XT600 Tenere) and they were 'made in Thailand" good tires on and also off road.

On internet i couldn't find any dealers in Thailand yet. mayby some other members know where to get Michelin tires in Thailand.

I also own an KLX 250 and when the original tires are worn i'm thinking about replacing them for dual purpose tires.( 70/30)

So i following your quest,

The original nobby tires aren't so "horrible" ( according to Dunlop 50/50) but you just have to trust them.

Personally i would never change the wheels for D Tracker types, but i life "up in the country"with loads of unpaved roads and the KLX is just the perfect bike ( especialy in the rainseason i had lots of fun with it)

Hi Yannic,

Mayby you should have a look at Michelin Sirac tires, i had those on my last bike in Holland ( XT600 Tenere) and they were 'made in Thailand" good tires on and also off road.

On internet i couldn't find any dealers in Thailand yet. mayby some other members know where to get Michelin tires in Thailand.

I also own an KLX 250 and when the original tires are worn i'm thinking about replacing them for dual purpose tires.( 70/30)

The original nobby tires aren't so "horrible" ( according to Dunlop 50/50) but you just have to trust them.

Personally i would never change the wheels for D Tracker types, but i life "up in the country"with loads of unpaved roads and the KLX is just the perfect bike ( especialy in the rainseason i had lots of fun with it)

Thanks BBB and Dutchbike for your comments. I also would not like to change tp 17 inch D-Tracker tires, I like the bigger ones. I just felt that the D605 are very slippery on pavement, On my DR650 and my CRF230 in the Philippines I was riding the Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara (based from Metzeler also 50/50 tires but much more street oriented. They were great on pavement, ok on back roads but horribly on muddy tracks, But they like evaporated on the rear tire. So I thought I would try the D604. Anyway I may try to break in the D605 original tires a bit more and see if they get better.

Hi Yannic,

Thanks BBB and Dutchbike for your comments. I also would not like to change tp 17 inch D-Tracker tires, I like the bigger ones. I just felt that the D605 are very slippery on pavement, On my DR650 and my CRF230 in the Philippines I was riding the Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara (based from Metzeler also 50/50 tires but much more street oriented. They were great on pavement, ok on back roads but horribly on muddy tracks, But they like evaporated on the rear tire. So I thought I would try the D604. Anyway I may try to break in the D605 original tires a bit more and see if they get better.

FWIW I've seen guys rip on pavement on KLX250 with stock tires- a lot more grip than I expected. Make sure your suspension isn't too hard and your pressure isn't too high and give those Dunlop's another try- they're better than you think. :)