Foreign Company Setting Up Branch

kawaiimomo

Hi all there,

I am currently living here with no work nor work permit.

An UK based company I know is willing to set up a branch or representative office here just for providing me with the visa and the work permit. This is a software company and I would be programming here in Thailand for them in the UK.

Which is the best option for this company as they want to have full property on the Thai company (no Thai limited as they can only get the 49%). Is the representative office a good option? Branch? Would you recommend them to hire a local lawyer or company to do the paperwork and all this kind of stuff?

Thanks so much for your help

as it is a software company, it is relatively easy to get BoI promotion. The business lawyer of your choice can hlp you further with that.

A rep office also needs to employ some Thai staff (as in any case to obtain a WP) and you cannot make any business in Thailand but just "represent". Further, the rep office needs to receive 3 Mio Baht per year from the head office.

Thanks for replying raro.

Employing Thai people is not an issue,in fact I will need some 10 people helping me with the programming.

With this BoI promotion can the foreign company have 100% of proprietorship on the Thai company?

If I understand well, rep office would not allow to perform work? Or just would not allow to do business with local companies?

What about setting up a branch, can anyone throw some light on that?

Again, thanks for your help. very much appreciated.

Thanks for replying raro.

Employing Thai people is not an issue,in fact I will need some 10 people helping me with the programming.

With this BoI promotion can the foreign company have 100% of proprietorship on the Thai company?

If I understand well, rep office would not allow to perform work? Or just would not allow to do business with local companies?

What about setting up a branch, can anyone throw some light on that?

Again, thanks for your help. very much appreciated.

yes, with BoI promotion you should get 100% foreign ownership. The Rep Office can only represent you company in Thailand without doing any actual work. I could never figure out what the practical value would be. All other options require 51% Thai ownership.

• 8 months later...