Back Up Hdd Choice

topt

Not sure what you mean by portable/non-portable?

Seagate make nice pocket sized external disk, up to one terabyte

drawing power from the usb socket, so no extrnal power brick needed.

Easy to carry around, and store off site.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-gb/products/external/expansion/

Bigger disks have more capacity and larger physical size, plus the inconvenience

of the external power supply.

Most backup utilities, like Acronis, offer data compression when writing a disk image,

so 500Gb or 1Tb will suffice for most systems.

I have a 2Tb disk with external power for my main backup, but I also have a 500Gb and 1Tb

for portability when I travel, and for moving films and TV shows to my TV for viewing

though a WD HDTV player.

Both options are equally easy to use.

Yes I have an older WD 120GB portable but I was looking for at least a 1TB HDD for personal back up. I had not considered the external power supply. Does the bigger size/external supply make them any more robust for example?.

Edited by astral
No need to quote the entire post. Just pick out the relevant points, please - Astral

Your terminology is somewhat confusing. I assumed by portable/non-portable you were referring to external/internal drive.

Now I'm not sure what you are referring to by "make them more robust". In the instance Astral mentioned, he was using a WD HDTV player as an external drive.

The capacity of course determines how much you need to backup. As far as the external power supply (brick) and physical size. Makes it easy to carry around (small physical size and no external power supply). However some USB ports cannot provide enough power to drive some external hard drives.

Edited by astral
No need to quote the entire post. Just pick out the relevant points, please - Astral

just share my setup, not necessary the most effective :

I do adhoc backup the system disk ( C drive, no data ) about once 2-month, just in case. rebuilding a system is also a pain.

all data in my 1TB data disk, is actually mirrored on another 1TB disk ( a RAID 1 disk array ). in case of disk failure, I just swap a 1TB disk. it reduces the system down-time, it is not a backup.

I run Norton 360 background backup of data to a shared LaCie 2Big 1TB external drive on a network. I also backup other computer data ( notebooks ) to this shared network drive. in case of emergency, I bring this external drive.

luckily I build this in early October when 1TB is not that expensive.

I travel a lot and my data is my income, loose the data and I'm stuffed.

So I have a 750G portable (2.5" drive) which carries an image of my laptop updated daily, this travels in my checked bag so it's separate from the lappie. I've never had it stolen but the chances of both my carry-on and my checked stuff vanishing together are limited.

I also have a large (multi-terabyte) NAS at home which also gets an image every time I get home (it also stores all my movies, TV etc).

I've also looked at online solutions, the biggest issue here is that most of the places I visit have pretty appalling internet bandwidth.

I would recommend looking for a portable drive that has TWO physical drives in the enclosure...

Then set up RAID 1 array where the two internal drives are mirrored so if one physical drive fails your data is safe on the other drive.

Also look into DropBox which has free Cloud backup http://db.tt/95SB0jA

Edited by sfokevin

Yes, security and safety. An portable backup insures that the backup can be moved off site in case of disasters (fire, flood, etc...). A portable solution insures that the backup can be isolated from the system.

+1

I have 2 portable hard drives. An Iomega 320 GB and a Seagate 500 GB. Both USB drives.

After the total loss of 1 internal drive with 3 years worth of photos and movies + other data on it I now make back ups to one of my portable drives. The other portable drive is used to back up all my UK tv progs and movies. They are small and very handy too if I want to take data back to the UK or anywhere else for that matter.

Going on holiday with the laptop computer and leaving the tower system behind I can take my external data with me too and simply plug it into my USB on the laptop.

Edited by McGarty

Just to clarify matters my WD HDTV player has no disk at all

I plug in the external drive that I move over from my notebook.

For me the usb powered option is better.

We get frequent power cuts and an externally powered disk

can be damaged when the power goes, or at least suffer data loss.

After my recent experience I would be very wary of using any "cloud" option.

I have a seedbox with a major company. Last week it was down for 60 hours,

with total loss of data. A rogue, ex-employee, decided to trash the network before he left................

with total loss of data. A rogue, ex-employee, decided to trash the network before he left................

I would agree with you about being wary of using any "cloud" option. :thumbsup:

Not only for the the potential loss of data due to a disgruntled employee or hacker, but for these reasons too:

• Appalling network bandwidth (as mentioned previously by Crossy)
  • Possible termination of service provider without notice.
  • Possible closure of account without notice.
  • Possible no access to data because of internet failure or corrupt system.
  • Limited storage with decent storage possibly costing more than purchasing an external drive.
  • Possible data theft and hacks.

Not only for the the potential loss of data due to a disgruntled employee or hacker, but for these reasons too:

• Limited storage with decent storage possibly costing more than purchasing an external drive.

All excellent reasons. :thumbsup:

Can you really blame the cloud option for the act of a rogue employee... He could have just as easily have trashed your external drive backup...

Dropbox has a recovery system that would have allowed you to recover all data that was trashed by your employee...

It will also automatically sync data on multiple computers...

Try out their free 2gb space

DropBox backup http://db.tt/95SB0jA

All excellent reasons. :thumbsup:

My own thoughts concur and I plan to steer clear as much as possible.

Thanks for all the responses

I would recommend looking for a portable drive that has TWO physical drives in the enclosure...

Then set up RAID 1 array where the two internal drives are mirrored so if one physical drive fails your data is safe on the other drive.

Can you recommend a product that has this and what sort of cost are we looking at?

Also is what you suggest straightforward - "set up RAID 1 array" or do you need to be a network wizzard? :D

Can you recommend a product that has this and what sort of cost are we looking at?

Also is what you suggest straightforward - "set up RAID 1 array" or do you need to be a network wizard? :D

I have a LaCie 2GB Network 2

2big_Network2_frontBack.jpg

It was easy to setup as RAID1 and plugs right into the ethernet slot of my wireless router.

I bought it last year in HKG... Not sure about buying here but a shop in Pantip might have it...

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10477

Order online in Thailand at this place off Rama III

http://www.shop4thai.com/en/product/24481/

Edited by sfokevin

the price is a piece of gold in Thailand ! yet it is really worth ( even I have one already ran into problem ). it is more than 'easy to setup' :-) just turn a physical switch then the RAID 1 is ready to use, no programming no configuration.

for cost saving, go for the 'Network' version that has ethernet only. budget allowed, then the 'quad' version that comes with ethernet, USB and other interfaces.

conceptually this is NOT a backup. the RAID 1 protects the system readiness when one HDD failed. the 2 HDDs are installed behind a specific RAID controller board. if this RAID controller board fails, you get nothing. I am in this situation now and am working on data recovery.

EDIT : in the instruction manual, LaCie suggests a periodical BACKUP on the RAID 1 HDD.

Edited by astral

Nobody's mentioned the Removable Hard Drive Mobile Rack solution.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994062

I have a couple of these (different brand) I bought at Panthip for moving a drive between computers. In case of emergency, I can grab it out and run. Very handy.

I have a couple of external USB drives that come in handy sometimes, but I don't like them as they are comparatively slow and of questionable reliability in general.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817994062

I have a couple of these (different brand) I bought at Panthip for moving a drive between computers. In case of emergency, I can grab it out and run. Very handy.

I have a couple of external USB drives that come in handy sometimes, but I don't like them as they are comparatively slow and of questionable reliability in general.

Thanks for the thought but taking out hard drives is not something I would want to concern myself with - as I would probably screw it up......

The La Cie option at c.$500 is an interesting but, for me, too expensive option

I just got myself a WD Mybook Live 3TB, which kicks ass.

I've got my computer to run a daily syncback on all my work files.

It also runs as a media server, and can even run a torrent client. So instead of having to download torrents on my computer I just download them directly onto the network drive.

Dave111223 - this sort of set up plus a portable 1TB was what I was considering

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817994062

With USB 3.0 external HDD are a lot faster now.

I usually let the system back up whatever files I need when I am either watching television, in the pub or in bed so no time lost.

All down to one's own preference :)

Can you really blame the cloud option for the act of a rogue employee... He could have just as easily have trashed your external drive backup...

I think you missed the point.

Once you start to use any external cloud/network/computer for

backup, you have LOST CONTROL...........

You place your data in anothers hands at your own risk,

whether it be from malicious acts, hacking, going out of business, etc, who knows what. :bah:

I think you missed the point.

Once you start to use any external cloud/network/computer for

backup, you have LOST CONTROL...........

You place your data in anothers hands at your own risk,

whether it be from malicious acts, hacking, going out of business, etc, who knows what. :bah:

I totally agree with Astral on the point of losing control. Better to have your data stored on a device you have control of.

Over 10 years ago i had some data stored with some company on the internet. Data I did not want to be discovered on my computer because it was sensitive and also evidential. That data was lost when the company literally disappeared overnight. Luckily not before I was able to utilise the data. But many 'accidents' can happen to data stored beyond your own control.

tl;dr

If you want stuff backed up you pay. Hopefully there are 2 tape drives exchanged on 12 hour intervals for this site. Each drive is then placed in an element proof safe til exchanged with the next. If you dont want data lost print, laminate, vacuum seal, burry in a remote place.....

I have 2 external USB 500Gb drives and use unison to sync up date. Why two drives? Well I had one fail once; you can also keep them in different places for offsite backups. If I didn't travel so much I would get a dual drive NAS solution with mirroring/raid 1. Most of these dual drive solutions allow you to pull one drive and slot in a bigger one when you start running out of space. When thats finished syncing, then you can pull the original and replace that with a bigger one.