Xbox From Us And Online Gaming

kvic

Been searching all over the net, and not all is Thailand specific, so hoped those of you here can verify/shed some light on using US or other region Xbox here.

First off, we have friends in the US that have offered to send us an Xbox 360 with Kinect from the US. We are currently living in CM. The main reason is for playing online together, and using the video chat function.

So here is what I hope can be verified/corrected, or answered:

1. As long as the Xbox live account is registered in the US, (they would do set it up in our name and then send it), we should still be able to log on to XBL from a Thailand ISP is that correct?

2. Changing the power supply cable would be better than using a step down converter? Are these available locally, or search ebay and have sent from US?

Any other info that might be helpful is welcome.

Can't/won't speak to the power supply question, but as to XBox Live, I believe you're going to need to connect to that service using a U.S.-based proxy. And I'm thinking you may need to be prepared to see your proxy rejected by Microsoft after awhile because there seems to be a movement on the part of many such services to ferret out these proxies and refuse requests from them.

Regarding question number 2:

I just bough myself a converter 220v-110v (be sure to get one with at least 150 or 200w) and it was something around 700B. And that's how I use my 110v american xbox AC adapter.

You could also try buying a 220v xbox AC adapter. I haven't tried that, but they will probably be way more expensive. And you also need to be sure that they are compatible with your xbox version (zephyr, falcon, jasper or slim)

I have a Canadian (same as US) Xbox, and play online all the time. I haven't fiddled with proxies or anything. Lag is definitely an issue, but I only have the cheapest plan from 3BB. I can still get through matches of COD Black Ops. My only problems have been trying to purchase games, add-ons and etc. This is when you need a proxy. For gaming on live you don't need to do anything with proxies.

For the power supply, I'd been warned off of using a transformer, and finding a transformer beefy enough for the xbox seemed expensive, so I bought my 220v power supply off of ebay from the UK and had it shipped to Chiang Mai for about $30Can. When you pick one up, make sure you get the proper model for your xbox.

Check that here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907635