Mailing Packages To Cm, Thailand

helpisgood

Hi!

Thanks again to all that have replied to my earlier posts! I am just a newbie and need some help now. I look forward to returning the favor later.

And thanks in advance to those who reply to the following two questions!

I will be moving to Chiangmai in a few months. I will be taking the most important things and all of my valuables along with me. However, there are some things that I would like to send to myself. Those things I'd like to mail are not things I cannot afford to lose, but I would still like to still have. I have read some mixed reviews of the local post office from another local forum. Is there a private carrier that services CM and is reliable or do I just have to rely upon the local post office?

Also, I am not sure if this relevant, but I have the long-term retirement visa. I recall reading that I get some kind of break in regards to customs. Does anyone know any more about this matter and how it would likely affect me?

Thanks again!

You do not get a break from customs, only peple who move to Thailand for work get a break.

Regarding your mail, the question is where do you send it from? From within Thailand or abroad? Mail from within Thailand by EMS or registered is very reliable, and there is a tracking system you can check online.

Fed-Ex is also an option.

I have found the Thai post to be reliable on delivering packages from overseas. However, you will need an address in Thailand.

There are private companies like UPS, Fedex, and others, but their service is quite a bit more expensive for international shipping than standard ocean post (not air freight) which can take one to three months from North America.

When shipping personal items to myself from abroad, I have filled out custom forms, and listed the items as used personal items, and have never had a problem with Thai customs or duties.

If you use any other method than the postal service (like UPS, DHL, FedEx, etc.) then you can expect to pay duty for absolute certain. The tax and import duty you will be required to pay will be an unreasonable amount. A friend in BKK had 4 used CD's sent to him FedEx and the tax and import duty was 2000 Baht.

If you use the postal service and are shipping from a country that requires a customs declaration (many don't) then be sure to claim 'used', 'gift', and a low value on the customs declaration and you should be O.K. Do not insure the package. Send it registered. For the first time about a month ago I had to pay tax on a package that came to me from the USA. The seller claimed 'gift', 'new' and 100 USD value. I had to pay 1,204 THB. I asked the guy at Mae Ping P.O. who is very knowledgeable and he said it was 'new' that triggered the tax. He said if I wanted to send the package back to customs for them to open and if they found the item to be used then they would waive the tax. But the item was new... Lesson learned.

I have found the postal service to be very reliable in Thailand. But packages do go missing. It happens in every country. I've had 4 packages (one very valuable) and 3 important letters that were sent to me go missing over the last 4 years. Some were registered and some weren't. But I receive and send a lot of post.

There is no break from customs because of your visa.

Edited by elektrified