Can I Sell A Scooter/Bike When Here On 30 Day Tourist Visa

Pdaz

I didn't have time to renew my Non O so came just got 30 days on arrival at Swampy. I have a scooter registered in my name with tabien rot that I'd like to sell. Can I do the transfer without a non resident visa or do I have to wait till I return again on a non O.

Also do I need a resident letter from immigration to sell the bike ? I needed one to buy it ?

Thanks

Good question and I'm not 100% sure of the answer. Why don't you give the Thailand department of land transport a call. Their number is 1584 :)

I thought that a post here would be quicker. Do they actually answer the phone at the DLT ?

Or the visas forum ? :whistling:

Good point. Why don't we try it here and see what happens. This forum, as you probably know, is followed by a good group of knowledgeable folk. ;)

They seem a bit thin on the ground today.. Maybe they had a heavy weekend..:ermm:

Or the visas forum ? :whistling:

Good point. Why don't we try it here and see what happens. This forum, as you probably know, is followed by a good group of knowledgeable folk. ;)

They seem a bit thin on the ground today.. Maybe they had a heavy weekend..:ermm:

The sale/transfer of my bike was refused by the DTL because my Imm B visa and WP that I had when bought the bike had expired. Even had my Thai lawyer involved, but the answer was cannot do!!! TiT I am sure 100% the real answer was "waiting for a donation to tea money" Finished up giving the bike away but I kept the legal green book.

Edited by visions

That's interesting. I had a non O when I bought the bike 5 yrs ago. I have a new non O in my second passport at the moment I just need to re-enter the country to activate it. With the dificulties some guys have been having getting a non O since Hull tightened up their issue. I wondered if there may be a bunch of fellas who now can't sell/transfer their bike or car.

Guess I will have to wait till I re-enter to advertise the bike. Anyone else have any first hand experience or knowledge about this ?

That's interesting. I had a non O when I bought the bike 5 yrs ago. I have a new non O in my second passport at the moment I just need to re-enter the country to activate it. With the dificulties some guys have been having getting a non O since Hull tightened up their issue. I wondered if there may be a bunch of fellas who now can't sell/transfer their bike or car.

Guess I will have to wait till I re-enter to advertise the bike. Anyone else have any first hand experience or knowledge about this ?

In my personal experience it varies from one DLT office to the next (and probably varies from one staff to the next too).

When I sold bikes in Chiang Mai, Phuket and Khon Kaen I was NOT required to show a valid visa / work permit at the time of sale. Only had to show face page of passport to match up with the green book to confirm that I was the legal owner of the bikes.

However, when I've transferred bikes into my name in Bangkok the Mor Chit DLT has ALWAYS insisted that the seller have a valid long stay visa... And they do not accept "tips" at Mor Chit... :rolleyes:

No idea where you live, but like I said before, probably best you check with your local DLT to determine what their rules are. Phone number 1584 :)

In my personal experience it varies from one DLT office to the next (and probably varies from one staff to the next too).

When I sold bikes in Chiang Mai, Phuket and Khon Kaen I was NOT required to show a valid visa / work permit at the time of sale. Only had to show face page of passport to match up with the green book to confirm that I was the legal owner of the bikes.

However, when I've transferred bikes into my name in Bangkok the Mor Chit DLT has ALWAYS insisted that the seller have a valid long stay visa... And they do not accept "tips" at Mor Chit... :rolleyes:

I have the misfortune of residing in Pattaya.. Which as it is now neck deep in farangs leaves little chance for a 'tip' . Guess I can wait till the new year to advertise my bike.. Thanks for the imput..

No idea where you live, but like I said before, probably best you check with your local DLT to determine what their rules are. Phone number 1584 :)

You can try to use a bike shop to do the sale and transfer .

They will have you sign a Land Transport Office proxy from and transfer form and will do it for you and the buyer.

They will also require signed copy of your passport and original green book.

I know of some friends that sold his vehicule while he was abroad and he did it this way sending the document by mail.

Officially you need

1) Certificate of Residency from immigration or your embassy (or wp or yellow house book)

2) Passport

To buy or sell a vehicle.

Passport needs to have a valid permit to stay stamp, like a entryvisa excemption 14/30 days or anything more

To sell, very few DLT if any presently, require certificate of residence. Only to buy/register, not to sell/transfer, and why would they you are selling so no need to know where you live/will live

Officially you need

1) Certificate of Residency from immigration or your embassy (or wp or yellow house book)

2) Passport

Passport needs to have a valid permit to stay stamp, like a entryvisa excemption 14/30 days or anything more

To sell, very few DLT if any presently, require certificate of residence. Only to buy/register, not to sell/transfer, and why would they you are selling so no need to know where you live/will live

Almost every official transaction for a Thai person required ID card + house book.

Foreigners are required to have the same, passport instead of ID card, Cert of residence (or wp or yellow hb) instead of House book.

Officially you need

2) Passport

Almost every official transaction for a Thai person required ID card + house book.

Foreigners are required to have the same, passport instead of ID card, Cert of residence (or wp or yellow hb) instead of House book.

No

No Tabien Baan needed sale or purchase transfer at DLT, no certificate of residence needed, at most DLT.

Some dealers ask for it, not DLT.

Just bought a new pcx, and dealer insisted on presenting original passport to DLT. During the same weeks I have purchased/transfered 3 bikes to me, no original passport presented

and just to set things straight, when DLT enter ID card number, tabien Baan info appears automaticly on screen

The requirements for buying and selling are different.

If you are the seller all you need is your passport copy, transfer paper and power of attorney (bai mob umnod) if you are not present. You dont even have to be in Thailand, just email your passport pic and let the buyer sign your signature on your behalf, on all 3 documents. More than likely you haven't signed your greenbook so all sigs will match, even if they don't its not crucially important....It's only illegal if you don't give him permission and you file charges.

• 8 months later...

I have 3 vehicles registered in my name.

Each time a signed copy of passport was required and the certificate of residence. Work permit respective Yellow Book have the same function to proove your adress, which will be registered in the vehicle documents. Makes sense, doesn't it?